Motorcycle gloves in France (1 Viewer)

Nov 15, 2013
Rochester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5years Motorhome. 25yr tugger
I have been informed today by a fellow scooter rider in France that new laws came into force in Nov 2016 requiring all riders and passengers to wear ce approved gloves. On the spot fine if caught.
Sorry if this has been posted before.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What's the problem?

Anyone who doesn't wear gloves deserves everything they get.

Same as the idiots who think riding in shorts and a t shirt is a good idea. No sympathy at all from me for anything that happens to them.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That's the official Guardia Civil motor cycle Trafico summer uniform , albeit a proper shirt.

I'd laugh at them if they picked up a case of gravel rash just like I'd laugh at anyone else (y)

The last person I know who it happened to was my lad. He went off to college one morning on his moped wearing shorts. I told him not to, he said he would be fine and then proceeded to fall off. He got no sympathy from me :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You'd look a right tit wearing leathers in Benidorm though wouldn't you :D not to mention heat stroke.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I'd rather look like a right tit than lose my skin.

Bet that's what my mate thought about 30 years ago when he decided to take his Z1000 to work as it was a nice sunny day..
Came off doing over a 100mph with just shorts trainers and a t shirt on, unfortunately his dad who worked on the same site as him found him in a field as he was going to work.
He was lucky in that he only lost most of the fat and muscle off of his buttock and his shoulder as he slid on the road a bit before going into the field
Funny but he never got another bike after that.
I might add that unlike the rest of us who progressed from field bikes to Fizzys then 250s and bigger bikes he went straight to the Z1000!!

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
When I was much much..... much younger....

I stood on the "running plates" of a VW Beetle...
then I thought.... this is getting fast!!!.

So stupidly jumped off....

Needless to say ... legs didn't go as fast and I duly planted... hands "palms" hit the newly gritted road first....

It wasn't pleasant... folk thought i'd been burnt ( both hand n' lower arms in bandages)...

Rode MC's from 16 until i bought Moho... always gloves.... (y)

And other protective stuff.... road rash is nasty...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
And they demand 4 reflective stickers on your helmet.

Didn't that get rescinded ? I know from the acquaintance that lives there , a biker, that they were kicking up as it can damage the integrity of the helmet & manufacturer's do not like it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Didn't that get rescinded ?.

Don't know but I've got them on a polycarb Caberg.

A quick google did not find a definite rescind. I did get that it was for helmets sold in France. I did get that it did not apply retrospectively.

I DID GET who the hell wants to be arguing the law with a French cop esp after Brexit.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You'd look more of a tit with full leg gravel rash.

Might never happen... where as every time you go out on the scooter you look a right tit in leathers :D2...
Seriously though, why do people who choose to wear full protective clothing (in whatever climate) seem so bitter about people who don't bother, it's almost as if they relish the stories of people they know or have heard of that have been hurt because it reinforces their philosophy. We all know the risks. We are all grown ups, I say to hell with the nanny state and wear what you want.

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
It's not as simple as it sounds, the fine (and points for French) is for not wearing 'Approved gloves with a label mentioning European directive 89/686 / EEC' by both driver and passenger.

The requirement to carry Spare bulbs, high viz and breathalysers carries no fine, but not wearing them during a 'incident' does?

Not sure if the four reflective stickers on the helmet are retrospective or whether we all have to get them.

Belgium already requires wearing of protective clothing, i.e.: gloves, jacket with long sleeves, trousers with long legs or overall, and ankle protective boots.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I agree with the above leathers everytime you go out , the kids use to call me the fat power ranger :LOL:

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
It isn't a straightforward choice between full leathers or shorts and t-shirts. There is a reasonable choice of lightweight protective garments on the market. Maybe not as fully protective as full leathers but a good compromise in hot climates.
I also believe it should be up to the rider to manage their own risk and suffer the consequences if they get it wrong.
I too have chosen in the past to ride occasionally in shorts and t-shirt and got away with it, but I certainly wouldn't have been doing 100 mph dressed like that. The more vulnerable you feel the more care you take (normally).
Nobody suggest cyclists should wear leathers and I can easily clock 60 mph downhill on my push bike dressed only in Lycra (or I have done, I don't look good in Lycra anymore, if in fact I ever did!)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Might never happen... where as every time you go out on the scooter you look a right tit in leathers :D2...
Seriously though, why do people who choose to wear full protective clothing (in whatever climate) seem so bitter about people who don't bother, it's almost as if they relish the stories of people they know or have heard of that have been hurt because it reinforces their philosophy. We all know the risks. We are all grown ups, I say to hell with the nanny state and wear what you want.

To be fair anyone over the age of 17 riding a scooter looks a right tit whatever they're wearing. (y)

Falling off at any sort of speed when you aren't wearing the right kit has only got to happen once. Perhaps you will find out for yourself one day although I hope you don't. I bet if it does happen you'll always wear the right kit afterwards.

I won't put pictures on here but just Google "gravel rash" It's not being bitter and it's definitely not anything to do with any nanny state. It's common sense, nothing more.

How do you feel about the requirement to wear a helmet? Common sense or nanny state?

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
How do you feel about the requirement to wear a helmet? Common sense or nanny state?
I know that question wasn't directed at me but I'll put in my take on it anyway.
Anyone who rides without a helmet, or indeed a reasonable level of protection, is a fool. But I defend the right of anyone to choose to be a fool.
Otherwise, where does state control over our own attitude to risk end?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I know that question wasn't directed at me but I'll put in my take on it anyway.
Anyone who rides without a helmet, or indeed a reasonable level of protection, is a fool. But I defend the right of anyone to choose to be a fool.

Based on that why bother with any kind of safety controls.

How about scrapping the driving licence? No need to learn to drive or ride properly or have your ability tested, that's just more nanny state. Your mate can teach you in 10 minutes in the pub car park and you're good to go.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Perhaps the fools can pick up their extra medical bills. I wonder how much the extra hours of surgery, skin grafts and physio adds to the cost of being a fool.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Based on that why bother with any kind of safety controls.

How about scrapping the driving licence? No need to learn to drive or ride properly or have your ability tested, that's just more nanny state. Your mate can teach you in 10 minutes in the pub car park and you're good to go.
Personal safety gear is what it says "personal" the requirement to be tested for ability/competence to ride or drive safely would affect other people if it was not there. So not really the same.

Martin

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It isn't a straightforward choice between full leathers or shorts and t-shirts. There is a reasonable choice of lightweight protective garments on the market. Maybe not as fully protective as full leathers but a good compromise in hot climates.
I also believe it should be up to the rider to manage their own risk and suffer the consequences if they get it wrong.
I too have chosen in the past to ride occasionally in shorts and t-shirt and got away with it, but I certainly wouldn't have been doing 100 mph dressed like that. The more vulnerable you feel the more care you take (normally).
Nobody suggest cyclists should wear leathers and I can easily clock 60 mph downhill on my push bike dressed only in Lycra (or I have done, I don't look good in Lycra anymore, if in fact I ever did!)

How did you easily manage 60mph downhill on your pushbike?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So how many people who have and wear gloves have gone out and checked them and found that they don't have the CE approval that the French require? I did and they don't.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back