Motorcycle CDI info Technical (1 Viewer)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Is there any one out there can explain the advance curve on a CDI system with no mechanical advance ie crank triggered.
I have been told by makers that it is built in the box to advance but when a strobe is connected and RPM increased the timing marks stay in the same place on this particular system.

These are after market units we have been playing with fitted to a twin set at 10deg btdc and should advance in incements to around 38deg when rpm is increased max 7500 rpm.

Some of you racer boys may have some knowlage on this unfortunatley mine is a bit out of date ie points and mags.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If the strobe is staying static then the timing is not changing ..
I have seen some CDI's that have USB socket to change the programming ..
It is not one of those is it ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is there any one out there can explain the advance curve on a CDI system with no mechanical advance ie crank triggered.

CDI - Capacitor Discharge Ignition was the next step up from points in the 1960s but was still actually triggered by points.

Do you full blown electronic ignition ? There should be a small computer in there with a stored advance curve. Something like 10,10,11,11,12,12,13,.......37,37,38 the computer can work out the revs by timing two crank pulses, it then says rev 3000 requires table[10], finds table 10 is set at 22 degrees and it uses that to calculate when the next spark is needed. Normally you would be able to load the table to suit the motor and fine tune it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
No John
The supplier said it is programable but the only thing it seems to do is advance the static as most crank trigger pickups are fixed.

The only thing I have come up with from my understanding is to create a longer duration spark but am getting near the end of my limited knowlage.

@hilldweller Yes it is full electronic I understand what you say and dose that mean it moniters rpm ie tacho then advancers at different stages with the increase of rpm.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
@hilldweller Yes it is full electronic I understand what you say and dose that mean it moniters rpm ie tacho then advancers at different stages with the increase of rpm.

I don't know what it is supposed to do, just what I would expect it to.

It has a static pickup from which it knows crank position and from two pulses it works out rpm, from those two figures it can time suitable delays for any number of sparks. As I said I would expect it to have an advance curve table to work off. You may or may not be given a program or method to edit that advance curve.

Have you got a link to it, that might give us some more clues.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
CDI - Capacitor Discharge Ignition was the next step up from points in the 1960s but was still actually triggered by points.

Do you full blown electronic ignition ? There should be a small computer in there with a stored advance curve. Something like 10,10,11,11,12,12,13,.......37,37,38 the computer can work out the revs by timing two crank pulses, it then says rev 3000 requires table[10], finds table 10 is set at 22 degrees and it uses that to calculate when the next spark is needed. Normally you would be able to load the table to suit the motor and fine tune it.
I've told you before your to clever for this forum Brian, there you go again showing off;)

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks Brian
I Knew some one one here would understand or relate to where I was coming from a good friend of mine has had more involvement in this than me but he thought he had it wrong when all the suppliers could not supply the info requested. As I stated all the (cdi) supplied were from china etc so maybe look at a better product but it is hard to find a supplier that knows what they are selling.

Thanks for your input I will keep you up to date once I have more info

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Gotta argue the point ( get it ! )
All carb Birds have a CDI, all little scoots had CDI ( many still have CDI though many have moved on to ECU type CDI).. CDI is triggered by a pulse from the pick up, not points.. sorry !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Forgot... It may be possible to extend a spark by a micro second by making it fatter, but the sort of time you are talking about required to get a 38° advance is just not on

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Gotta argue the point ( get it ! )
All carb Birds have a CDI, all little scoots had CDI ( many still have CDI though many have moved on to ECU type CDI).. CDI is triggered by a pulse from the pick up, not points.. sorry !

Kids today, know nuffin.

When I were a lad in the land of points, new technology introduced Capacitor Discharge Ignition. This replaced the normal 12V coil with a HV transformer, circuit that charged up a capacitor to a high voltage ( 100/200V ) and a solid state switch ( SCR ) that was triggered by the points which now switched next to nothing and never needed cleaning and setting.

Looks like the CDI mnemonic was good for sales and it carried on into full electronic ignition.

Never mind Blackbird, the Benley was the hottest Honda in the UK in those days.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Kids today, know nuffin.

When I were a lad in the land of points, new technology introduced Capacitor Discharge Ignition. This replaced the normal 12V coil with a HV transformer, circuit that charged up a capacitor to a high voltage ( 100/200V ) and a solid state switch ( SCR ) that was triggered by the points which now switched next to nothing and never needed cleaning and setting.

Looks like the CDI mnemonic was good for sales and it carried on into full electronic ignition.

Never mind Blackbird, the Benley was the hottest Honda in the UK in those days.

Points driven CDI units lasted about 2 years Brian !! They soon dropped the points idea and used Hall effect switching :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Points driven CDI units lasted about 2 years Brian !! They soon dropped the points idea and used Hall effect switching :)
They also dropped CDI pretty quickly too (aftermarket for cars) because the short spark didn't suit everything. I built the Practical Wireless kit - anyone else?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back