Nov 23, 2011
East Grinstead
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Motorcycle Trailer

Was interested in having a look, as like you I don't particularly want to get a trailer for my BMW at 256kilos, but would like to tow it somehow,but unfortunately the url you quote has moved.
Could you give more details please?
Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
acting_strange
May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Was interested in having a look, as like you I don't particularly want to get a trailer for my BMW at 256kilos, but would like to tow it somehow,but unfortunately the url you quote has moved.
Thanks

This looks interesting....Link Removed

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. have had a similar version for years . i copied an intertrade version that thev rac used to use . i used mine for towing trikes.
remember you should only use it for recovery as it becomes a trailer and as it as brakes they are suposed to be working. that said the chain and rear tyre will still get worn.
its better to have an upright teepost up front to tie the handlebars down to. mine fitted on the hitch but had a plate behind the hitch had a fitting to stop the spec going up or down and left and right. very easy to make 20 quid should see it if you can weld or have a good mate. took mine all over the place still have it . takes two to set it all up . some say one person is ok but with a heavy bike i need two. pm if you need more info. cheers alan.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
He needs to learn to spell legal before threatening with it, also, he states that the conformity is not transferrable???.....rubbish, its the item that conforms, not the owner. There is a hell of a lot of blurb stating that what it confoms to,...but no proof, nor any independant testing certs. Applying for a patent, is no surety of getting one, it would need to be independantly tested to be used professionally by a pro recovery company, i see no evidence of this, so I personally would go for a trailer that is type approved.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi you could google intertrade recovery equipment . they have lots of diferent tow devices .
the ones you mentio can only be for recovery .even trailer under 750kg if haveeing brakes must eork. sounds like he loves gobbldegook. .
intertrade hav been making recovery and towing gear for years and supply the major recovery boys .

Newleaf

Free Member
Nov 23, 2011
East Grinstead
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Motorcycle Trailer

The towing kit that you refer to would do the job, but for me its got to be a one man operation. If there was some kind of lever mechanism that would raise and lower the front end I would give it a go, but will have to look elsewhere.
At the moment series 2 at http://www.trealestrailers.co.uk/motorcycle_trailers.php is winning.
Frustrating all this searching, would be great if there were a load of trailers at the various motorcycle shows, but they don't appear to go to them.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Re the OP .................

Think the bloke must come from Russia or somewhere.. Certainly English is not his first language

It gets better !

The design is an ABSOLUTE copy of a bit of kit that has been made in he US of A for about 20 years...

And...

I would use one to tow something like a Hardley Moving cos you are talking about a bike that does not go round corners too well to start with..
Personally I use tyres on my bike that I might get say, 5k miles out of.. They will start to square off at about 4k

Now if I am towing the bike with the back wheel on the ground I would say that, even given a 50% reduction in tyre wear for an undriven wheel, I would expect to ruin the tyre after a couple of thousand towed miles
So to sum up then.........................
Crappy idea, crappy salesman, direct copy of someone elses work

As you can guess, I aint a fan !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks
welcome newleaf.....try this link

Link Removed

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And I have just reread this advert................

Right at the very bottom where 90% of folk would never see it or perhaps notice it, is the following statement:

THIS DEVISE IS CLASSIFIED AS A RECOVERY DEVICE

All well and good..

I stand to be corrected but suspect Geo will be along to confirm, not anyone can call themselves a recovery company
You need special insurance and I believe show a flashing orange light on the tow vehicle to conform to the legal requirements in just about every EU country including the UK

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
nice one jaws i missed that . got fed upreading. i have similar plus the cliponoff type across the back spec, but again takes two to lift anything but a light trials type bike. google intertrade they do a collapsable trailer . their gear is right on

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Just to help (or hinder) the OP a bit. On recovery, whenever sent out to a bike, i would always mutter "Oh Sh*t". They are by far the hardest thing to transporrt, and ive done everything else. Apart from that, there is no such thing really, as someone who rides a bike, they are all enthusiast's so watch you like a hawk when loading and unloading.
Whether on a flatbed (a skill on its own) or in a cradle or on a bike trailer, they were always a nightmare, and a large proportion of the claims against recovery companies were bike related.
i,m sure you will get helpfull advice off the bikers on here,...probably bets treat ebay with a lot of suspicion.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Please tell me this thread isnt going to degenerate into yet another "750kgs" / "brakes fitted" / "are A frames legal?" / "define recovery" jobbie?

Could be of great interset if it stays with looking at bits of kit available (for my trike).

YES, John: I do need stabilisers!

Phantom Menace

Free Member
Mar 11, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
5 minutes
They are ok but you need to check that the gearbox still gets lubricated without the engine running!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
See, now for a lot of trikes that thing is a good option

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
having got all these recovery things at home . i think if i was going to tow my kawasaki drifter behind a m,home for any distance i would go for the m,bike trailer. be safe and look after your bike.
i look at what i have here and think shall i sell some of it ,but use most of it at least once or twice each year.
brought a lifan 250 down from northampton earlier this year . could have took the single spec or the bike trailer . but used the cliponoff double spec . took two of us to lift it on . got my neighbour here to help lift it off . not every thing is easy. but having the trailer on would have slowed the speed . if you travel alone and cant get the bike into a garage a trailer might be the answer . putting it across the back does take a fair bit of weight off your payload . the question is a bit like elastic for answers . cheers alan.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
I read an article about the front tyre lifting towing devices.

The came to the conclusion that they were good for short distances only for the following reasons.

1. You cannot reverse, it will jack knife in an instant.

2. Engine lubrication was doubtful ( As previous post also suggests )

3. It wears a lovely tread free band down the centre of the rear tyre in no time .

Imagine you tow down to Greece or the bottom of spain. Thats a lot of constant wear on the centre band of the tyre.

Food for thought

Neil

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
AND the wheel bearing AND the gearbox output shaft bearing

As it says atr the bottom of chummies advert , it is a recovery device....

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think a trike ( road legal one ) is ok providing you have the full trailer board in place..

Makes it more or less identical to the way the buggy is towed and I took the rig direct to a VOSA testing station to make sure all was well with that ( even though the tow kit came from the manufacturers .. I wanted to make sure I was not going to fall foul !! )

OP
OP
acting_strange
May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Well after all these interesting replies I think I will be building myself a nice folding trailer for it....Thanks guys for the helpful ideas..:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back