Motorbike stolen from Edinburgh Campsite (1 Viewer)

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
My brother and his wife have just travelled up to Edinburgh in their Motorhome for the Festival & fringe there.
They'd pre-booked a campsite to stay at on the outskirts of the city for about 8 nights.

I just heard that at 5.25am this morning (6th August 2017) , two thieves wearing balaclavas entered the campsite, walked up to their pitch and actually stole his 125cc motorbike that was parked right next to his MH on his campsite pitch.

CCTV cameras recorded them walking out of the site entrance with it.

UTTER THIEVING SCUM.

Trip absolutely ruined, will be driving all the way home again just as soon as Police incident number etc report is obtained.

Edited to add details of the stolen bike:-

Silver Honda Innova 125cc, with small black Honda top-box.
Reg: A011VND.

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
My brother and his wife have just travelled up to Edinburgh in their Motorhome for the Festival & fringe there.
They'd pre-booked a campsite to stay at on the outskirts of the city for about 8 nights.

I just heard that at 5.25am this morning (6th August 2017) , two thieves wearing balaclavas entered the campsite, walked up to their pitch and actually stole his 125cc motorbike that was parked right next to his MH on his campsite pitch.

CCTV cameras recorded them walking out of the site entrance with it.

UTTER THIEVING SCUM.

Trip absolutely ruined, will be driving all the way home again just as soon as Police incident number etc report is obtained.

Can you post details of the bike. We are in Edinburgh so can keep a look out. Get it circulated on FB too

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Oh dear, was it locked and chained? Ours always is with a Vanbitz loop through it too. Big worry these days, nothing's safe :(
Hope he gets it back (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
The Nomad

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
That has to be the worst and most expensive campsite I've stayed at in the UK, I know that doesn't help.

Well anyone thinking of paying their extortionate prices to stay there should know that they just let thieves enter and roam around the site at will, and then literally just walk out with the vehicles they have stolen from customers.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We were there at beginning of June and a German guy was talking to the police because his bike had been stolen so seems it is a common occurrence !!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Lots of motorbikes being stolen in Edinburgh it's been on the rise over the last few years, it's all young joyriders too.
My mates a social worker over there says there's 13yr olds been caught running Harleys etc around waste ground
Being a biker I'm impressed the wee s¢€$ts can keep the weight of the things up
But they are taking them from main streets in broad daylight so a campsite is even easier pickings for them I'd guess

OP
OP
The Nomad

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Lots of motorbikes being stolen in Edinburgh it's been on the rise over the last few years, it's all young joyriders too.
My mates a social worker over there says there's 13yr olds been caught running Harleys etc around waste ground
Being a biker I'm impressed the wee s¢€$ts can keep the weight of the things up
But they are taking them from main streets in broad daylight so a campsite is even easier pickings for them I'd guess

Sorry but I'm not clear on why a supposedly secure, Full-Service, and certainly FULL-cost, managed campsite should be easy pickings for vehicle thieves; even easier than stealing from a public street.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sorry but I'm not clear on why a supposedly secure, Full-Service, and certainly FULL-cost, managed campsite should be easy pickings for vehicle thieves; even easier than stealing from a public street.
I've never found a campsite secure, there's just way too many people coming and going in and out all day and usually only 1 or 2 wardens who ate usually pretty busy ringing up tills to watch who walks in and out.
In the days when I tugged or used tents I don't think I ever saw a guard on the gates of a campsite.... Perhaps one or two had automatic barriers for vehicles but people could pretty much walk in and out as they pleased and would likely have complained if they couldn't.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Well anyone thinking of paying their extortionate prices to stay there should know that they just let thieves enter and roam around the site at will, and then literally just walk out with the vehicles they have stolen from customers.
I don't know of any sites that don't allow pedestrian's free access. How could this work.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

I am really sorry your brother has lost his motorbike, but don't really see any blame can be laid on the campsite at all

If he had been to a shop and parked the bike outside and it was stolen it wouldn't then become the shops fault, I don't think the site has a duty for the security of campers property

That said I also believe we shouldn't have to lock anything, nobody has a right to steal other peoples property, the penalties if ever caught are nowhere near severe enough to stop it either

but I really hope they get it back

I also wouldn't be coming home early, I would buy another bike or use the bus the festival is too good to abandon, even with a sour taste from the theft

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The Notting hill carnival is adopting police face recognition cameras this year which can id thousands per minute. Perhaps all camp sites should adopt same, that will stop it.:cautious:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I am really sorry your brother has lost his motorbike, but don't really see any blame can be laid on the campsite at all

If he had been to a shop and parked the bike outside and it was stolen it wouldn't then become the shops fault, I don't think the site has a duty for the security of campers property

That said I also believe we shouldn't have to lock anything, nobody has a right to steal other peoples property, the penalties if ever caught are nowhere near severe enough to stop it either

but I really hope they get it back

I also wouldn't be coming home early, I would buy another bike or use the bus the festival is too good to abandon, even with a sour taste from the theft
I agree... To be honest one of the reasons I dislike campsites is there's simply to many people, I had caravans damaged with balls, electric hookup cables ripped out by kids catching feet on them while running round vans etc, guy lines ripped out tents, cheek from gangs of kids hanging round playparks toilet blocks filling up water pistols etc etc, a good few smaller items lifted.... Campsites during the summer are full of kids and unruly teenagers.... And in the Edinburgh area it's young teenagers some aren't even teens yet that are stealing motorbikes of any size.
Personally I think a campsite where a couple of young lads don't look out of place is a very easy target.
When I wildcamp I'm alert always to anyone hanging around the area, and I wouldn't leave anything outside unattended or unlocked

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
This is indeed terrible and certainly I would not like it happening to us. But I'm sorry to ask the question, was it locked up ?

OP
OP
The Nomad

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
I don't know of any sites that don't allow pedestrian's free access. How could this work.

I know many many sites that do not allow VEHICLE access/egress during the wee small hours, with barriers to prevent it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back