Motor scooter and bike rack. (1 Viewer)

May 13, 2020
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 675
Exp
couple of years and loving it
I’m looking for a rack to carry a motor scooter and and a couple of bikes. Any advice as I’m clueless where to start. I already have a bike rack that sits very high on the back of our kontiki but obviously can’t carry a scooter on the back.

Many thanks
steve

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You need to get to a weighbridge first to see how much spare weight, if any, you have on the rear axle and the gross weight.
For example, a bike rack and scoot may be 125kg (a lot more if needs a towbar as well) but 2½mtrs behind the axle it may be 150kg or more due to the fulcrum effect..... The further behind the axle the more weight imposed on the axle.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
If you have an ALKO chassis, they have a Sawiko rack for a scooter and two bikes - which I have - max weight 120kg, but if you can, remove the ramp and store it indoors, which gives you an extra 10 kg or so. The other thing is that it is demountable without any tools, which is good if you have a long overhang. But it’s not cheap!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
May 13, 2020
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 675
Exp
If you have an ALKO chassis, they have a Sawiko rack for a scooter and two bikes - which I have - max weight 120kg, but if you can, remove the ramp and store it indoors, which gives you an extra 10 kg or so. The other thing is that it is demountable without any tools, which is good if you have a long overhang. But it’s not cheap!
Have you got a link for this please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
Have you got a link for this please?
Google ALKO Sawiko. They are based in Southam, Warks and the boss is Paul Jones. Or just Sawiko, mine is the Ligero lll. Interestingly, the latest one says max150kg, looking on the site just now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
May 13, 2020
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 675
Exp
Google ALKO Sawiko. They are based in Southam, Warks and the boss is Paul Jones. Or just Sawiko, mine is the Ligero lll. Interestingly, the latest one says max150kg, looking on the site just now.
Many thanks, almost local to me, I’ll give them a call!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back