Free Member
May 23, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
4 years
Reinsured my motorhome with Club Care Insurance in May 2015, the policy is with Equity Red Star. No problems until I arrived home today to find a letter from the Motor Insurance Database stating that there is no record of my insurance.....the threats range from a fine to police prosecution, a court appearance and my poor little Nuevo being impounded. Phoned club care....yes they know there is a problem ...apparently applies to vehicles reinsured May/June. "Nothing they can do its down to the ERS underwriters, who apparently are prepared to pay my fine,,,," . There is no human contact at MID ......and the repeated message is that it can only be resolved by the insurance company. Tried ERS ...."all our lines are busy....."( forever ?)Phoned Club Care Insurance again ..." you can cancel your policy if you like" but of course we all know there is a penalty attached. Apparently they (CCI) are meeting with the underwriters on Friday. Anybody out there in a similar position? Feeling very let down by the lack of options to speak to someone and clarify the issue......what's really puzzling me is how was I allowed to renew the road tax ?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I am a little confused. Why would you receive a letter from MID? As the name says, it is an unmanned database and as far as I am aware they have no powers to prosecute.

OP
OP
petrocspals

petrocspals

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
4 years
They are acting on behalf of the DVLA.....letter was from " head of enforcement services" ...you can actually track the status of your own vehicle on www.askMID.com. I have to say I find the disempowerment of the automated systems really frustrating, plus I have paid a really high premium this year. It makes one really wonder how efficient they would be at handling a claim.
I did suggest to CCI that a letter from them explaining the situation of their customers ( I am not the only one) might help but apparently only ERS can do this....so why given its August haven't they ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I now of someone who recently contacted the Insurance Ombudsman because they were having issues with their claim. The Ombudsman was contactable on the telephone and resolved the issue very quickly. Maybe you should try that route

Reactions: GJH

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
As far as I know it's an offence not go have a valid certificate of insurance... but it's not an offence not to be on the mid database. So long as you have a certificate and your insurers are contactable you're really not going to have a problem.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
I don't know how true this is, but I remember reading that it's your responsibility to make sure your insurance is correctly recorded on the MID. It seems unreasonable and the suggestion was that you check the MID shortly after you renew or change your insurance as it's not uncommon for the insurers to screw up.

OP
OP
petrocspals

petrocspals

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
4 years
Gosh, if it is our responsibility it really will pose problems for people. The channels of communication are impossible to get into.
Just for the discussion.....why are the insurers suggesting they pay my fine if all I need is a valid certificate....I have all the documentation to prove I am insured, obviously I want to avoid a fine as it will go on yet another database , suggests I am at fault, & when I change insurers , which is a certainty now, it may cause problems. Thanks for the suggestion of the ombudsman I will phone them tomorrow,
Thanks everyone

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Just FYI if this happens to you as it did us. We were worried when we received the same letter. This applies mainly to those insured via ERS. They did an upgrade to their database which has caused some meltdown with the MID database and some who are insured are now appearing uninsured. I have been advised in no uncertain terms that this is an IT glitch only and they are all over this like a rash. Should any problems occur with fines/police or similar then they will take all responsibility. I have taken a copy of my certificate of insurance, in case to keep in the MH.

OP
OP
petrocspals

petrocspals

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
4 years
Thank you for this advice, I was so relieved to hear it had happened to someone else. I checked early this morning and I am on the database..I remain puzzled about how I managed the DVLA tax in July given I reinsured in May & was not ( apparently) on the database. I have been undertaking a little research into ERS. They certainly have a poor reputation and a low satisfaction rating. Yes I have been keeping my documentation with me.
Hopefully off to France on sept 2nd, I am fairly new to motorhoming this site has been an absolute godsend to me in learning MH habits and myths.
Thanks everyone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back