Dorset Duo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Lunar Norstar
Exp
Just bought one
Newbies who bought a motorhome late in the season we only managed a couple of weekends away before finding storage. We have however booked the last week of November to travel to Cornwall staying at winter opening sites on the way. Whilst OH is really looking forward to it two dogs and the cold is not really doing it for me at the moment although I know we have heating!

Will we be the only winter motorhomers I wonder - anyone have any views other than advice of staying home in the warm?

Sue

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Best of advice is ENJOY.

You will not be the only ones, staying on sites with leccy in the winter is about the only time that you get value for money from the electric charge.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We are off to a rally in North Devon next week - 35 MHs coming. My advice would just be disciplined about changing footwear when you get in and of course have towels handy to dry the dogs. Wet coats we hang in the shower - where the heating is most effective. Head torches also useful for late night dog walks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Prices are keener in the winter, there are fewer grockles around taking the bar stools and restaurant tables, sites with leccy make sure you won't go cold but then you do have gas heating in the van that is very efficient. The pong from wet dogs is the one thing I hate it does not bother some people. Still lots to see and do and the roads are clearer. Go for it.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
We go away all through winter.No problems,just wrap up warm.use Propane gas for cooking heating etc.Dont use butane, if it gets down to freezing you can have problems with it.I take a bucket with me for waste water.I leave waste open all time that way your waste tank won't freeze up.Get out and enjoy it.Cornwall is a beautiful place.We are hoping to get down again soon.Been twice this year but never been in winter.That's on our to do list.Hope you have a good time.:)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dorset Duo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Lunar Norstar
Exp
Just bought one
Thanks guys that's reassuring thought we might be the only ones sitting in a large campsite!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dorset Duo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Lunar Norstar
Exp
Just bought one
How do the rallies work? Do you just book on then introduce yourself?

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
This is us up at Ralph's Cross last winter. We overnighted in the pubs carpark. For a small fee. We didn't eat in there as it stank of chips or should I say Mucky fat.
Ralph only went in to pay and book a table . Came out stinking ...... In the lovely crisp fresh air !
Put us off. But we had stuff in the van to tide us over to the next stop Blacksmiths arms in Lastingham .
image.jpg
image.jpg

http://www.coolplaces.co.uk/places/uk/england/north-yorkshire/castleton/8329-ralph-cross
We love cold bleak winters out in the Motorhome. It's toasty warm inside. Just wrap up warm when you go outside.

We've got diesel heating and a fully winterised van. So - temps are no bother.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
if you got the facility's you can stay off grid for a few days with no problems
blown air heating good battery's

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If its really cold we use a small fan heater to supplement the built in heating, as this only runs at quite a low level (1800w) on electric only, so the judicious addition of the fan heater allows the greatest use of ehu while saving gas.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The one we are going on is organised by our MH owners' club but there are rallies all year organised by folk here on MHF and yes indeed you just turn up and say hello - you will get a warm welcome and and an even warmer one if you are clutching a bottle. The national clubs (caravan club etc) also have local groups who organise rallies.
We like small rallies and probably wouldn't have gone on the one next week if we had known so many people were going but I am sure we will have a good time.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Some of us hit the Alps every winter for a bit of skiing!

An autumn weekend in Cornwall is a little too tame for some!
You'll be snug and warm, have fun!

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you book in and have fun when you get there, everyone introduces themselves and there is usually a hospitality tent or marquee, communal BBQ's etc, whatever you want really.
it has had very few problem from the rebuild roger only this recent fuel problem
only pulling your leg Bill. Just my weird sense of humour.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I take a bucket with me for waste water.I leave waste open all time that way your waste tank won't freeze up.

Thats a good idea, we have a static that we use in winter so we are used to propane and bottled water so that's no probs but will miss the wood burner in the MH that we have in the static :D

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Newbies who bought a motorhome late in the season we only managed a couple of weekends away before finding storage. We have however booked the last week of November to travel to Cornwall staying at winter opening sites on the way. Whilst OH is really looking forward to it two dogs and the cold is not really doing it for me at the moment although I know we have heating!

Will we be the only winter motorhomers I wonder - anyone have any views other than advice of staying home in the warm?

Sue
some of the best days are when it been a very hard frost nothing beater than getting out on those days

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We are currently away just now and it's been chucking it down a couple of times, we are sitting in Grantown on Spey just now and will be heading up to the Ski resort at the Cairngorms tomorrow and will possibly wild camp there.

Upvote 0

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Lowest been is -8 but snug as a bug as they say biggest problem in Scotland is a large amount of sites close end Oct !!! And some put prices up over the winter if near the ski slopes
Just spent 2 nights in moffat and 2 in Melrose and currently in Edinburgh as we head back north
Will have a week at home then off again, plan 2 more trips at least before the family defend on us for christmas and new year

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We intend to use our MH all over winter trying out new Britstops. I've been incapacitated over the last few weeks, but now itching to get the van out on the road.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We are off to France for a month on Tursday. No sites booked, we will use Aires and all our own power. Genny fuel tank topped up and solar panel polished.
A motorhomes for life, not just for Summer!
Allan

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back