Moto-Trek delivery schedule - a word of warning for any prospective purchasers (1 Viewer)

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Having spent the last two years deliberating the purchase of a van, all the usual debates CB vs panel van old vs new. Following a visit to the NEC last October 0n 23rd November we finally took the plunge and paid our £2k deposit for a new Moto-Trek Leisure Treka with a custom backend to suit our needs, at this point delivery was to be late May. The paperwork comes through on the 3rd of December with a delivery date of the 9th June. I visit the factory on the 30th April to sort out some specific details and am informed that the 9th of June still the expected delivery date.

29th May whilst I am chasing up payment and registration details for insurance I am informed that I should have received a letter telling me that the build has been delayed and delivery should now be "mid/late July". Come the 3rd of June I finally receive a letter informing me that the completion date is now the 21st July. In the interim they are prepared to provide a loan vehicle for a weeks holiday we had booked but as that vehicle isn't fitted with a tracker I cannot get insurance for it - they agree to knock £420 of the price to cover the B&B costs.

Return from holiday to be informed that delivery has now slipped to w/c 4th August, this then slips to the 28th August at 3:30pm - ie today. We paid the balance and sorted out insurance more than two weeks ago.

12.10 today they phone to make sure we haven't left yet for the 3:30 handover meeting as the van is not going to be ready until next week, so we have lost a months tax and insurance and we could have had a September registration and delivery is a full three months later than we were originally informed - the summer has gone!

It strikes me that if Moto-Trek put as much attention into their production management as they do into their marketing / show attendance then they have a very good product, but if they treat all their customers like this then they will very quickly build up a reputation that no amount of marketing spend can correct.

Rant over!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If any dealer or manfacturer wants a deposit for an unbuilt MH, walk away!
Its their licence to take the piss.

But they just keep doing it, despite FUN's best efforts.

I suspect they use gas at these exhibitions.

Second take on this, look at these pictures, got to admit that's one beautiful interior. If they look as good in the flesh it would be easy to get to the deposit stage.

Broken Link Removed

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Has it arrived yet? If not I think you have a case for breach of contract and a talk with a solicitor is called for.

It is 4 months overdue and that just isn't good enough.

Trading Standards might be able to help as well. At least notify them so they have correspondence in their files.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Has it arrived yet? If not I think you have a case for breach of contract and a talk with a solicitor is called for.

It is 4 months overdue and that just isn't good enough.

Trading Standards might be able to help as well. At least notify them so they have correspondence in their files.
I totally agree with this. What a bloody disgrace.
I'd say if van not handed over today, with compensation for loss of tax & insurance it's a lawyer job. So sorry to hear you've had all this stress.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i think i would be spitting blood and feathers also... however, your van is in sight and just maybe you can get a few extras out of this. looks a beautiful van fit and you do need a relationship with the dealer for your warranty period, i would at the very least be making them feel they owe you and reminding them that " if any warranty work is needed on this van your after sales had better be on the ball after the poor pre delivery service"!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
What a beautiful van, I want one, of course I do and wait! My pension lump sum matures next month!

Apparently the salesman is called Christian-- he's not in today but will be there in the morning. I left a message that I would have loved to buy their beautiful shiny van but alas! They've let down a customer so badly I won't touch their company with a barge pole.
Wonder what they'd do if they got a few more similar calls? Or am I just being nasty?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Sorry to hear of the delay.. that must be so annoying to say the least.. I do hope you take delivery soon.. I'm sure the wait will be worth it and all the frustration forgotten once you get away on your first trip.

We are going through the same process of researching and deciding on a new panel van conversion .. it's a daunting task and getting it right is not easy.. but that's one less convertor on my list.

just for info, I looked at their deliver terms.. I'm afraid they have the delay covered..

6.2 Any dates quoted for delivery of the Goods are approximate only and the Seller shall not be liable for any delay in delivery of the Goods however caused. Time for delivery shall not be of the essence of the Contract unless previously agreed by the Seller in Writing. The Goods may be delivered by the Seller in advance of the quoted delivery date on giving reasonable notice to the Buyer.

OP
OP
P

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
If any dealer or manfacturer wants a deposit for an unbuilt MH, walk away!
Its their licence to take the piss.
Sorry to hear of the delay.. that must be so annoying to say the least.. I do hope you take delivery soon.. I'm sure the wait will be worth it and all the frustration forgotten once you get away on your first trip.

We are going through the same process of researching and deciding on a new panel van conversion .. it's a daunting task and getting it right is not easy.. but that's one less convertor on my list.

just for info, I looked at their deliver terms.. I'm afraid they have the delay covered..

6.2 Any dates quoted for delivery of the Goods are approximate only and the Seller shall not be liable for any delay in delivery of the Goods however caused. Time for delivery shall not be of the essence of the Contract unless previously agreed by the Seller in Writing. The Goods may be delivered by the Seller in advance of the quoted delivery date on giving reasonable notice to the Buyer.

Yes I had already checked the T&C, I am exploring the issues relating to tax, insurance and a newer registration on which I may have a case.

In all honesty I just want the bloody van! I am sure when we get it and IF it is properly built and finished then these delays will be lost in the midst of time, but the whole delivery date fiasco has certainly taken some of the shine of the process.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I always try and buy the one I have seen at the show. Example. Years ago, we went to the NEC, and were very interested in the Hymer/Fendt Caravan. As the number of agents at that time in the UK was very limited, (still is), we got the old 'promise/build date routine'. and so, as the model we wanted was on show, we said 'how much for THAT one on Monday'.........
We owned a brand new model, with a LARGE reduction in price, picked it up the following week. OK, a few thousand peeps had been in it, but so what, everything was brand new and unmarked. AND, most importantly, no waiting time.(y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Yes I had already checked the T&C, I am exploring the issues relating to tax, insurance and a newer registration on which I may have a case.

In all honesty I just want the bloody van! I am sure when we get it and IF it is properly built and finished then these delays will be lost in the midst of time, but the whole delivery date fiasco has certainly taken some of the shine of the process.
But did you know the T&Cs when you ordered? Were you given a copy and chance to study the before you signed? If not you still could have a case as it may have been an unfair clause.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We are going through the same process of researching and deciding on a new panel van conversion .. it's a daunting task and getting it right is not easy.. but that's one less convertor on my list..

Have you had a look at that Co in Penryn, buggered if I can find their name now, but they have a good reputation for not only delivery, but also after sales,
they will even build a bespoke van just on your specifications, they use VW or Transits (?)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Or Mill Garage in Duns? They have a good reputation and did a brilliant job on my van door. No other affiliation but I have seen a few of their conversions and been impressed.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Come to think of it, we bought our Pilote at Peterborough after having looked at but not inside the moto trek there (Dawn didn't like the external colour much either). The deal was as Tootles said "that van there" and not one sometime in the future. A delivery delay was due to the Duck flying off to Panama but we picked it up the day after I got back.

As a postscript the new owner of our lovely AutoSleeper made contact today. He'll call back with some more questions, but you may be assured that they will be pointed in the direction of Fun if not already a member

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There was a delay getting our new van, which was annoying at the time but I lived with it. It was partly due to an error by the local Fiat agent ordering the chassis and delays in Italy. It turned out in the end to my advantage as I was able to alter the spec of the basic chassis long after I could have done if it had all gone to the original timescale.

As for paying a deposit I had no problem with this as the vehicle was bespoke to my spec including the factory fitted Fiat options.
For companies which produce standard models all the same then there might be a case for not paying a deposit but for small manufacturers where every order is different a deposit is very reasonable.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
A delivery delay was due to the Duck flying off to Panama

I bet your wings were sore after that.... (sorry, couldn't resist)
I only cross salt water in a vehicle as I'm a puddleduck and we don't "do" salt water. Bad for our plumage.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Return from holiday to be informed that delivery has now slipped to w/c 4th August, this then slips to the 28th August at 3:30pm - ie today. We paid the balance and sorted out insurance more than two weeks ago.

12.10 today they phone to make sure we haven't left yet for the 3:30 handover meeting as the van is not going to be ready until next week, so we have lost a months tax and insurance and we could have had a September registration and delivery is a full three months later than we were originally informed - the summer has gone!

As a retired accountant I would urge caution and never pay such a large sum before delivery. The company could go bust between you paying and expecting delivery and you would lose your money and never get your van. If there is any money or assets these go first to secured creditors like banks for loans and overdrafts, then to preferred creditors like HMRC and unsecured creditors usually get nothing. If those who have supplied the company with goods with a good reservation of title in their terms they might recover their goods if they have not been built into a product.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As a retired accountant I would urge caution and never pay such a large sum before delivery. The company could go bust between you paying and expecting delivery and you would lose your money and never get your van. If there is any money or assets these go first to secured creditors like banks for loans and overdrafts, then to preferred creditors like HMRC and unsecured creditors usually get nothing. If those who have supplied the company with goods with a good reservation of title in their terms they might recover their goods if they have not been built into a product.
£2k would have been less than 5% of the final price unless I have misread something here. For what I assume was a bespoke MH in terms of spec this strikes me as a very reasonable deposit. Try getting a builder to start work on a new house for a 5% deposit!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
£2k would have been less than 5% of the final price unless I have misread something here. For what I assume was a bespoke MH in terms of spec this strikes me as a very reasonable deposit. Try getting a builder to start work on a new house for a 5% deposit!
Never given a builder a deposit, and iv built some things in my time but iv always bought the materials myself

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013

Unless I read it wrong it struck me that the balance had been paid before he got delivery! I specifically did not mention the deposit and emboldened the bit about the balance being paid!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Unless I read it wrong it struck me that the balance had been paid before he got delivery! I specifically did not mention the deposit and emboldened the bit about the balance being paid!
OK, Didn't see that. Bad idea to pay the full price before collection. If the supplier needs funding up front to that extent then I agree it might suggest they are on dodgy financial grounds.

Edit: Just re-read the original post. What they were asked to do was exactly what I did and was happy to do, which was to pay the balance on the day of collection. Just like buying a car for cash. They were then told on the day of collection it had all slipped. That is not right but paying the balance on the day you expect to collect the vehicle is quite normal I suggest.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Never given a builder a deposit, and iv built some things in my time but iv always bought the materials myself
I was perhaps over simplifying. On some recent building work we had done here we didn't pay a cent until about a month into the build but that was at the point the builder was buying all the bricks etc, the preparatory work before that was all ground work - men with shovels. The point I was trying to make, badly no doubt, is deposits and stage payments should be tailored to the amount of work and investment being done.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Only pay when at the dealers and you have inspected and know everything is right and ready to drive away.

Bought my BMW car with my debit card at the dealers when I collected it!

Getting the final payment and then delaying is an easy con when someone is desperate for money to pay a bill or the wages etc. Don't do it!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I was perhaps over simplifying. On some recent building work we had done here we didn't pay a cent until about a month into the build but that was at the point the builder was buying all the bricks etc, the preparatory work before that was all ground work - men with shovels. The point I was trying to make, badly no doubt, is deposits and stage payments should be tailored to the amount of work and investment being done.

Stage payments are fine as they are made after you have had the value of the bricks, mortar and labour into the build. It should always be less than the total so you have a retention which is the builders incentive to finish and to honour the rectifications period.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Only pay when at the dealers and you have inspected and know everything is right and ready to drive away.

Bought my BMW car with my debit card at the dealers when I collected it!

Getting the final payment and then delaying is an easy con when someone is desperate for money to pay a bill or the wages etc. Don't do it!
I think the payment I made on the day of collection was about £40k, I doubt my debit card could have coped with that. I guess a bankers draft might be one answer. This is a genuine issue and worth discussing.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
My car buy was about £20k and the bank was not warned in advance but I've no doubt that they could be as you will know the garage and the amount. Lots of BMW's cost a lot more than £20k or even £40k!

The bank can sometimes phone the dealer as part of the authorisation process and you may be asked security questions but probably better to prearrange with the bank and certainly better than paying before the true handover.

The dealer actually preferred the debit card to my suggestion of an instant internet bank transfer which is like CHAPS but without the forms and the fee!

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Been there, done it, put up with the delays, BUT was it worth the wait ??? To dam right it was

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back