Moto-Trek delivery schedule - a word of warning for any prospective purchasers (2 Viewers)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
With building work the bricks and mortar and results of the labour are already delivered to you. Not so with a motorhome.

I would expect to pay a deposit. I would not expect to pay the balance until the van had been inspected, approved and I had the keys in my hand.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My car buy was about £20k and the bank was not warned in advance but I've no doubt that they could be as you will know the garage and the amount. Lots of BMW's cost a lot more than £20k or even £40k!

The bank can sometimes phone the dealer as part of the authorisation process and you may be asked security questions but probably better to prearrange with the bank and certainly better than paying before the true handover.

The dealer actually preferred the debit card to my suggestion of an instant internet bank transfer which is like CHAPS but without the forms and the fee!
My account has a limit on daily single BACS transactions, from memory it is £20k . I'm not trying to get into a mines bigger than yours argument but only what's the best way to make the final payment on a vehicle.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I can see why the debit card is attractive as their bank account details are locked into the machine and the debit card is read by the machine so no scope to have any typos on the account numbers and sort codes. Also the salesman won't have access to the garage bank account to confirm that the money has arrived etc but the debit card transaction is instant if there is money there to pay it and can't be reversed or stopped.

Anyway something to think about next time you have a material transaction.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Just to set the record straight, we ordered a bespoke van - not an off the shelf model, we paid a deposit and were told a delivery date with the caveat within the T&C of sale regarding that date. We paid the balance on receipt of final invoice to allow the manufacturer to register the vehicle in our name, and we have now received the V5 and our new tax disc (dated August!) and receipt. So contrary to some Funsters concerns proof of ownership / is not a problem, nor are we concerned about the solvency of Moto-Trek as we did the appropriate checks before we started this process.

I should also place on record that we are also happy with what we paid, to my mind as a new entrant to the Motorhome market their vehicles are / were heavily discounted, no doubt in an attempt to buy market share but also a reflection of their buying power with Peugeot - they are for the record as a group the biggest importer of Peugeot vans in the UK building ambulances and police vehicles alongside the horsey stuff, if you visit their factory its quite impressive. What I think has happened is that the Motorhome element has been too successful and they have not been able to respond quickly enough to the demand they have generated, I note that the base price has increased by more than £3k since we placed our order - so perhaps they are trying to dampen that demand slightly.

I too would have liked to hold back a retention to ensure that the vehicle is built to the required standard - but this isn't a bricks and mortar construction project - of which I had managed a few. If its not to standard then I have redress through the courts, but to date it seems that the delays are caused by Moto-Trek trying their best to ensure that it is built to a good standard - certainly all my dealings with them would suggest so.

When we take delivery - next Friday (5th September) then I am sure my frustrations will disappear and as some here have said it will be worth the wait - will keep you all posted!

Feb 3, 2008
ireland
Funster No
MH
class a r.v.
Exp
10yrs
iv,e had dealings with this company twice, they came to my motorhome and i showed them exactly what i wanted, they took measurments etc and promised the sun,the moon, and the stars. after repeated phone calls to them, they never got back to me, in my opinion, they are paper bag men, if you can get your money back walk away,

OP
OP
P

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
iv,e had dealings with this company twice, they came to my motorhome and i showed them exactly what i wanted, they took measurments etc and promised the sun,the moon, and the stars. after repeated phone calls to them, they never got back to me, in my opinion, they are paper bag men, if you can get your money back walk away,

Think you might have got them muddled up? http://www.moto-trek.co.uk/ They build new vans and conversions, not to my knowledge work on existing motorhomes.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
I think with bespoke motorhomes it should be like an extension on a property. Pay for materials once you can visually see them. Pay another percentage up to first floor level pay the remainder less 10% upon completion. Allow two weeks for snags to appear , fix them pay the last 10%. The purchaser has his own t and cs which allows for a reduction if not completed within a set time. That's just my opinion.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I think the payment I made on the day of collection was about £40k, I doubt my debit card could have coped with that. I guess a bankers draft might be one answer. This is a genuine issue and worth discussing.
Debit card would have been fine if the funds were available. Both my last two vehicles have been bought this way. I asked my bank if they needed prior notice, but they said 'No - but expect authorisation checks on the day'.

That's what happened. Once the handover was complete, I stuck my card into their machine, pressed 'Ok' on more money than I'd ever handed over in a single go in my life, then sat back & waited. Sure enough, dealer's phone rings & it's the bank wanting to speak to me. ID checks to confirm it really is me & that I am at their premises. I can't remember now - they may also have called my mobile.

Machine then confirms the transaction, so the dealer is happy. Handed over the keys & documents & 5 mins later we were on the road.

The original deposit of £2000 was paid over the phone - by credit card I think. I was happy with the deposit, because although it wasn't a bespoke build, there were nearly two grands worth of modifications done to it pre-delivery (wheelchair hoist & various other things) & the vehicle wasn't dealer stock, it was manufacturer's stock in Germany. If I hadn't completed, it would have become dealer stock & not necessarily one he would have chosen.

Feb 3, 2008
ireland
Funster No
MH
class a r.v.
Exp
10yrs
er,
Think you might have got them muddled up? http://www.moto-trek.co.uk/ They build new vans and conversions, not to my knowledge work on existing motorhomes.

excuse me, who said anything about work being done on my motorhome, i went to them at the northen show, to see if they could build me a new one, and they asked me, was my motorhome at the show, they then asked if they could look at my motorhome, so they can see what layout i wanted, read the post again,

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
er,

excuse me, who said anything about work being done on my motorhome, i went to them at the northen show, to see if they could build me a new one, and they asked me, was my motorhome at the show, they then asked if they could look at my motorhome, so they can see what layout i wanted, read the post again,
That is the way I read it as well. Thought that it was pretty good service - until the lack of response........

Hope they have improved the quality of the interior from the Peterborough and Malvern show vehicles, which was quite simply awful and an embarrassment.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
But they just keep doing it, despite FUN's best efforts.

I suspect they use gas at these exhibitions.

Second take on this, look at these pictures, got to admit that's one beautiful interior. If they look as good in the flesh it would be easy to get to the deposit stage.

Broken Link Removed

Have to agree with you Brian,but,assuming the MIRO is without optional extras,there ain't a great deal of payload there.

OP
OP
P

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
er,

Sorry, I had misinterpreted your post.

OP
OP
P

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Have to agree with you Brian,but,assuming the MIRO is without optional extras,there ain't a great deal of payload there.

Payload was a key issue for me - hence why I wanted bespoke to remove some elements - belted passenger seats etc. Need to leave sufficient spare for the toys!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I loved the look of these at the NEC :)

Loved the slide outs and only wished the others would follow suit and build them into new motorhomes :)

I'm gutted for your delays, I'd be so angry and feel really let down too, this isn't the way to treat new customers :mad:

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Mot-Trek do make a 3500kg model but payload is not a lot - layout, interior shoddy finish & company not listening to potential customers is what puts us off them:(

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
But even with the slide out in, the unit should be perfectly usable, indeed just like a conventuals motorhome. So when you use a site, then out go the slides and loads of extra space.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Slideouts are as much use as tits on a fish if you use Aires and stellplatze!
Not quite true, on some aires its possible to have to slides out, if you are at the side of the aire. Never been on a stellplatze but imagine it would be the same.

Ian

jetset-willy

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
Waiting...
Exp
3 years full timing
I'm afraid to say we too have been a 'victim' of the Moto-Trek delivery delays. We ordered in February 2014 and was advised of a delivery in August. Various delays with Fiat have ensued and our latest delivery date has now been given as January 2015 - a whole 11 months after order and the £2k deposit paid! I personally have torn a strip off their salesperson, Christian, who was lacking in any kind of customer service skills not least some kind of organisational skills to co-ordinate the orders.
We've just somewhat reluctantly cancelled our order which we are bitterly disappointed about - the vans really are super. I understand that Moto-Trek have a new sales person starting soon (as Christian is now not working for them) so hopefully they will get their house in order.
Sorry this is my first post and be seen as a moaner but I have been looking for anyone who actually owns a Moto-Trek for ages and was beginning to wonder if it was just me that was having problems...

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
It's a shame Moto-Trek don't seem to be getting their act together - it's disappointing that they don't listen to customers enough & deliver what they promise. They are busy with their other products so don't seem too bothered if they miss out on motorhome sales! It's is an excellent idea (slide outs on compact motorhomes especially) but their layouts & standard of interior finish needs considerable improvement from the ones we saw at Malvern then think these would sell really well. Hopefully a mainstream manufacturer will pick up on the idea soon - if they want to loan one to a family to try & review a compact motorhome with slide outs & 4 belted seats then feel free to contact us:)(y) Currently that design is the only option that might tempt us to change our motorhome if the price point was right too...

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Not quite true, on some aires its possible to have to slides out, if you are at the side of the aire. Never been on a stellplatze but imagine it would be the same.

Ian
We have never had to sleep with our slides in, whilst on Aires, we also have the hydraulic jacks down, genny running, Air conditioning chillin etc :sneaky:

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Delivery dates on the new Autotrail Chieftain we orderd from Brownhills or should I say (CLOWNHILLS) in March 2010 with a 2k card deposit was prommised for early May! it arrived September 2010 just in time for the end of season show.
Unfortunatley we had numerous problems that could not be corrected so when we got rid of the van 18 months later we bought one we could see and test drive.
I know this dose not help your situation but it dose show you are not the only one this has happened to hope you get your new van soon.
S&D

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
just couldn't be waiting more than a couple of weeks and would want to see the actual van I was buying, you might see one you like better in months and be gutted you were stuck with another you couldn't go out in because of delays

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We have never had to sleep with our slides in, whilst on Aires, we also have the hydraulic jacks down, genny running, Air conditioning chillin etc :sneaky:

Never have them out eddie unless nobody can drive up the side, (mine both slide out on the drivers side) to concerned that somebody might roll up in the dark, see a space between me and the next van and reverse down it, unlikely I know, but sod's law and all that. :eek:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We always park over a kerb, so we're OK but to be honest our bedroom slide is or convenience. When it's in the bedroom is still bigger than most European vans.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back