Motability, Road tax and Sorn? (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
We have now got our Kia Niro Hybrid motability car which we are delighted with, especially getting over 60 mpg as opposed to 25-30 mpg in the van.

Having talked about selling the van, though with 109,000 miles on the clock we don't expect a lot for it, and we are looking at alternative ideas.

Motability have said that we can pay for the road tax on the Kia ourselves and claim the road tax on the moho on the Motability scheme. The road tax is £135 on the Kia, I am sure that the road tax would be considerably more on the Moho which is a Peugeot Boxer 2005 2.8 HDi. Any ideas as to how much the road tax on the moho would be as it has been our only motability vehicle for that last 11 years?

We are also thinking about SORNing the moho in the winter months for 6 months, using it between April and September inclusive, making a saving on insurance and road tax.

Lastly we are considering letting friends us it during the summer by agreement with our insurers, any thoughts on that as well. Many thanks.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The answer to your question depends on the Gross Vehicle Plated Weight of the 'van.

If the 'van has a Gross Weight of more than 3500Kgs, the VED is £165.

Should the van weigh less than 3500Kgs perhaps another Funster advise.

I doubt however that you will save any money on the Insurance because 6mths Insurance would cost you the same as 12mths and surely you would want the 'van insured for all the other reasons other than driving it on a road, ie theft from, Criminal Damage. etc.

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
The answer to your question depends on the Gross Vehicle Plated Weight of the 'van.

If the 'van has a Gross Weight of more than 3500Kgs, the VED is £165.

Should the van weigh less than 3500Kgs perhaps another Funster advise.
We upgraded to 3500 kgs and this is on the new V5. Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We upgraded to 3500 kgs and this is on the new V5. Thanks.

Sorry, I've caused some confusion. Apologies.
If your van has a V5 that says 3500Kgs then you're in the same boat ('Van???) as Sandp.

Your 'van would attract a VED of £268. (apparently)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi there my van is taxed as a disabled and the tax is just.the same as anybody else at £268 per year
Thought if van is taxed as disabled it is free..BUSBY.

Apr 16, 2019
Bolsover
Funster No
MH
Lowprofile
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry meant to say that it is free tax but only if you get the higher rate of motability

Jun 11, 2011
Derby
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840 SE
Exp
Hi If you get the lower rate of PIP mobility you can get 50% reduction on RFL for any vehicle you choose.

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Sorry meant to say that it is free tax but only if you get the higher rate of motability
Sue gets the higher rate, we have taxed the Kia Niro and put the moho as tax free.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
This might be a little off-the-wall so to speak, but have you considered one of the many charities that exist for the purpose of providing more "outdoors" type experiences for disabled people?
My parents for example, volunteer with https://www.canalability.org.uk/ , which whilst not anything to do with motorhomes is an example of the type of thing I'm thinking about?
Is there any possibility of finding a group local to you that would be willing to either take over (during the months you don't wish to use it) or rent the van from you? Maybe using the van in exchange for paying for the upkeep and maintenance of it?

Just an idea though. I hope whatever you choose works out for you!

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
This might be a little off-the-wall so to speak, but have you considered one of the many charities that exist for the purpose of providing more "outdoors" type experiences for disabled people?
My parents for example, volunteer with https://www.canalability.org.uk/ , which whilst not anything to do with motorhomes is an example of the type of thing I'm thinking about?
Is there any possibility of finding a group local to you that would be willing to either take over (during the months you don't wish to use it) or rent the van from you? Maybe using the van in exchange for paying for the upkeep and maintenance of it?

Just an idea though. I hope whatever you choose works out for you!
We are thinking along those lines, not just the moho but the house as well as we are moving downstairs and have 4 bedrooms waiting to be used for a different purpose. It all depends how Sue's MS responds. We live in a lovely area, close to Blickling Hall and the coast. I'm a good salesman, although I say it myself. Thanks for the post.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
OK
I get DLA mobility allowance - I USED to have motability cars BUT when they started wanting large prepayments for cars capable of pulling our 1300kg caravan we stood back and bought the motorhome

MAxine the motorhome is 4.25t 3L but is registered as disabled - no problem
Because I get the DLA I get free road tax

Foxy1956 now this sounds like the advice Motability gave you - but I went one further and ditched the hire system altogether so use the allowance they used to get on insurance and fuel.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
We only have our PVC, no other vehicle. My wife qualifies for zero VED, but my understanding is that the vehicle can then only be used for the benefit of the disabled person. If I were to go anywhere on my own, I would be using an untaxed vehicle.

"Well, yer honour, it got me out of the house for a few hours & she said that was definitely for her benefit" might not be accepted as a valid excuse. ?

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
OK
I get DLA mobility allowance - I USED to have motability cars BUT when they started wanting large prepayments for cars capable of pulling our 1300kg caravan we stood back and bought the motorhome

MAxine the motorhome is 4.25t 3L but is registered as disabled - no problem
Because I get the DLA I get free road tax

Foxy1956 now this sounds like the advice Motability gave you - but I went one further and ditched the hire system altogether so use the allowance they used to get on insurance and fuel.
We did that for 11 years on the moho, but wanted a change so have gone back to having a motability car. The van is 14 years old and very basic. We now have cruise control and all the smells and bells. Have you had your PIPS assessment yet, when they switch you from DLA? We didn't pay any prepayments.Thanks for the post.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We did that for 11 years on the moho, but wanted a change so have gone back to having a motability car. The van is 14 years old and very basic. We now have cruise control and all the smells and bells. Have you had your PIPS assessment yet, when they switch you from DLA? We didn't pay any prepayments.Thanks for the post.

Shhhh no pip already got my OAP
our van at least has cruise don't want air con on hab but got everything we need

the cars cost because we needed to tug 1300kg the last one we had cost £3k (Nissan X-trail was rubbish - - JaG got rid of his Volvo motability early for same reason rubbish but 17mpg solo)

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
We only have our PVC, no other vehicle. My wife qualifies for zero VED, but my understanding is that the vehicle can then only be used for the benefit of the disabled person. If I were to go anywhere on my own, I would be using an untaxed vehicle.

"Well, yer honour, it got me out of the house for a few hours & she said that was definitely for her benefit" might not be accepted as a valid excuse. ?
To be used by or to the benefit of the disabled person it was. I checked a few years ago when I was concerned about this as mrs sometimes used the car when I was at work. Motability said it was okay for family members to use the car, I believe that is the same for designated drivers. It does NOT extend blue badge rights to anyone using the car though, that is only the person it is issued to, I know that isn’t an issue in this thread though.

i am terrible at remembering what happened when but I ‘think’ this would have been about 12 years ago.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back