Sep 21, 2016
North Scarle, Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A Class Winnebago Voyage
Exp
Since May 2016
Hi all,

Now that we are full time I have a problem regarding the MOT for the Motorhome. It is due at the end of February but we are pitched up until the endof March. My usual MOT garage is 3 hours drive away and our next trip dosent take us in that direction. Likewise a friend has recommended a garage he uses but likewise its a 2 hour drive away.
How can I find a local MOT garage that is not going to try and rip me off?
I know I can drive with an expired MOT as long as its to a pre-arranged test so a local garage would be the best bet.
We are in Chipping Norton in west Oxfordshire. Any suggestions or recommendations?
Thanks.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Knowing that you were going to be away ,could have had it done early and save the stress ,but yes book a mot and drive to it at your convenience , Evan to your own testing stn if no-one else can accommodate it ,imo:xsmile: enjoy xmas

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
99'999% pass
Take it anywhere you like but first
Crawl under you van with some yellow crayon and scrawl VOSA test vehicle on the under floor
If questioned drop hints but deny any knowledge

Last edited:
OP
OP
LordElpus

LordElpus

Free Member
Sep 21, 2016
North Scarle, Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A Class Winnebago Voyage
Exp
Since May 2016
Cheers guys. We left ‘home’ back in August and had intended to go back before now. However we were made an offer we couldn’t refuse hence the pitch until March. This is our first season full time so hopefully we will be better organised next year! I like the VOSA tip! :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you intent to stay put and not go for your MOT until after it's expired first check your insurance docs to make sure you are still covered as some require it to be MOTed at all times. Another thing, if you are definitely NOT going to move it off pitch at all don't forget to SORN it and get your road tax back!

Personally I'd decamp and get the MOT done before it expires but it's up to you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Historically, I'm a big fan of Local Authority test centres. They don't do repairs, so no risk of being ripped off. Used the one in Bristol for years and always impressed by the service - never had a problem. Bristol even offered a discount price.

I think I've read in this thread that you are in Oxfordshire at the moment, so here's the local council one for the county - think it's about 12 miles from Chipping Norton:

Oxfordshire Thorpe Lane Depot, Banbury OX16 4UT 01295 221916

And for a national listing, try this link:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-mot#mapfinder

Last edited:
OP
OP
LordElpus

LordElpus

Free Member
Sep 21, 2016
North Scarle, Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A Class Winnebago Voyage
Exp
Since May 2016

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We find it best to plan it for a time you are likely to be around, what ever motorhome we have the mot is always done in August so mid July to mid August, this one was April so retested after 4 months xroll: but problem solved. :xgrin:

When you say pitched up until the end of March, it would be OK if your local, but not so good if you were in Spain.:xrofl:
:xgrin: Bob.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for that. Yes I have used the LA test centres in the past but completely forgot about them for the Motorhome! Doh.
:)

The thing is, they should be geared up for carrying out an MOT whatever size your van is, because they do all types of Council vehicles and buses etc. (y)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Do VOSA's Test centre Licensing rules really allow the MOT station to test vehicles owned by the same organisation?

There is a conflict of interest. i could imagine a test centre employee being sacked for failing one of his employer's vehicles. This should not be allowed, surely?

Geoff

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Do VOSA's Test centre Licensing rules really allow the MOT station to test vehicles owned by the same organisation?

There is a conflict of interest. i could imagine a test centre employee being sacked for failing one of his employer's vehicles. This should not be allowed, surely?

Geoff

This is no different to a dealership putting vehicles through their own workshops for service work and MOT prior to sale!
Common practice is for techs to get others to test their work but not always by any means.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The testers get checked by DVSA (VOSA is no more ) , and they can also check ones they have tested . The only vehicles that they cant test are the ones that DVSA testers have to eg PSV and HGV
IIRC they also can test a vehicle that they own but normally its considered too risky by the site owner .

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
99'999% pass
Take it anywhere you like but first
Crawl under you van with some yellow crayon and scrawl VOSA test vehicle on the under floor
If questioned drop hints but deny any knowledge
Unless it's a test vehicle riddled with faults to catch out mot stations:p

Then they go over everything twice in case they miss it ha ha

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Get mot done 1 month before it expires if it passes you get 13 months mot if it fails you have 1 month to sort it out

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If you just need the MOT then the Cherwell DC testing station in Thorpe Lane Banbury has already been mentioned in a post above. If you need any work done then I recommend Peter Haines Engineers which is next door to the MOT centre. Peter’s team has looked after my Hymer for several years. I get them to do an annual service and take it next door for the MOT each January.
http://peterhainesengineers.co.uk/

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
Many drivers put their car in for an MOT early to find out if any faults need repairing, in the belief they can still use the vehicle until the old test runs out despite any discovered issues.

But if their car fails it is immediately deemed to be no longer road legal, regardless of how long the previous MOT's validity has remaining.

in-art-close-icon-128x128.png

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

opt-out-icon2.png

unmiss-sound-button-muted.svg

Drivers that choose to drive their vehicle after a failed MOT test are at risk of being slapped with a £2,500 fine, a driving ban and three penalty points, even if the old roadworthy certificate is still valid, according to the DVLA.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Why would you ever drive a vehicle that has failed an MOT unless it's a dire emergency?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
According to the Gov website, not The Sun......

Driving a vehicle that’s failed
You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:

• have the failed defects fixed
  • a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
So, anyone that tells you that you can’t drive your vehicle on its current unexpired certificate, if it fails an mot test, are probably wrong.

The ONLY reasons not to be able to drive the vehicle away is if it deemed too dangerous to drive or it fails to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness.

The mot tester should tell you if it’s too dangerous to drive.

Reactions: Al1

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Many drivers put their car in for an MOT early to find out if any faults need repairing, in the belief they can still use the vehicle until the old test runs out despite any discovered issues.

But if their car fails it is immediately deemed to be no longer road legal, regardless of how long the previous MOT's validity has remaining.

in-art-close-icon-128x128.png

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

opt-out-icon2.png

unmiss-sound-button-muted.svg

Drivers that choose to drive their vehicle after a failed MOT test are at risk of being slapped with a £2,500 fine, a driving ban and three penalty points, even if the old roadworthy certificate is still valid, according to the DVLA.
Been doing it for years never realised it must of started when mot's became internet based for details with set minimum times for mot recorded

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
According to the Gov website, not The Sun......

Driving a vehicle that’s failed
You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:
  • have the failed defects fixed
  • a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
So, anyone that tells you that you can’t drive your vehicle on its current unexpired certificate, if it fails an mot test, are probably wrong.

The ONLY reasons not to be able to drive the vehicle away is if it deemed too dangerous to drive or it fails to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness.

The mot tester should tell you if it’s too dangerous to drive.
It depends how you interpret that ... I read it as meaning you can ONLY drive it to somewhere to get it fixed (or home if its gonna stay there) or a pre-arranged MOT appointment NOT that you can keep driving it generally (ie for tootling around) which is what others are saying.

I certainly would NOT want to be driving it with a failed MOT as it would possibly invalidate your insurance anyway so if you had to claim you could have difficulty getting a pay out!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi all,

Now that we are full time I have a problem regarding the MOT for the Motorhome. It is due at the end of February but we are pitched up until the endof March. My usual MOT garage is 3 hours drive away and our next trip dosent take us in that direction. Likewise a friend has recommended a garage he uses but likewise its a 2 hour drive away.
How can I find a local MOT garage that is not going to try and rip me off?
I know I can drive with an expired MOT as long as its to a pre-arranged test so a local garage would be the best bet.
We are in Chipping Norton in west Oxfordshire. Any suggestions or recommendations?
Thanks.
Why would an mot place rip you off? What would be different from one to another, if your motor is right , it's right , if not I presume they would all fail it.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
It depends how you interpret that ... I read it as meaning you can ONLY drive it to somewhere to get it fixed (or home if its gonna stay there) or a pre-arranged MOT appointment NOT that you can keep driving it generally (ie for tootling around) which is what others are saying.

I certainly would NOT want to be driving it with a failed MOT as it would possibly invalidate your insurance anyway so if you had to claim you could have difficulty getting a pay out!
So many urban myths about mot’s, you drove the vehicle to the mot station without thinking it was dangerous, so why would you not drive it after a fail, as long as your current certificate is valid and it still meets the minimum standards.
There is no mention on the government website about not being able to “ tootle about” or that you can only drive it to get it repaired, so why would you read it like that?
Of course, if you are not happy driving it about, don’t
Having no not will not invalidate your insurance either, but your payout, if it is stolen or damaged, will usually only be reduced to reflect the value of the car without a current MOT.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
So many urban myths about mot’s, you drove the vehicle to the mot station without thinking it was dangerous, so why would you not drive it after a fail, as long as your current certificate is valid and it still meets the minimum standards.
There is no mention on the government website about not being able to “ tootle about” or that you can only drive it to get it repaired, so why would you read it like that?
Of course, if you are not happy driving it about, don’t
Having no not will not invalidate your insurance either, but your payout, if it is stolen or damaged, will usually only be reduced to reflect the value of the car without a current MOT.

You are wrong Alan, the mot is a test to minimum standards so if it meets minimum std it will pass, if it doesn't it will fail. A fail therefore means the vehicle does not meet the minimum required std and so is not road legal. If your vehicle fails the rest it can be driven to a place of repair, home or to a pre arranged not and that is it, you can not legally "poodle around".

D.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
You are wrong Alan, the mot is a test to minimum standards so if it meets minimum std it will pass, if it doesn't it will fail. A fail therefore means the vehicle does not meet the minimum required std and so is not road legal. If your vehicle fails the rest it can be driven to a place of repair, home or to a pre arranged not and that is it, you can not legally "poodle around".

D.
I was just clarifying what is on the governments website.
Not my opinion, but theirs.
I assume then that any mot failure means the vehicle is in a dangerous condition or has a major defect?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back