Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well The Hype has started :RollEyes:
The trade magazines this morning are all prophesying doom and gloom for the Mot and Motor trade in general
50% loss in Jobs, 50% loss in trade
Knock on effect for parts supplyers etc ect
Result
Half the amount of testing stations available to test :RollEyes:
Double the amount of difficulty in booking an apointment:cry:
Cars off road waiting for apointments:Eeek:
Increase in test fees:Sad:
Death on the roads increase
What do you think,

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And they've missed a trick.....

No MOT so not legal on road so you have to SORN it and return your tax disk.

I take it this is the new 2 year MOT move.

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
How many fail the MOT as it is at present with annual test ?.

Most motorist don't know they have a problem until it fails the MOT test...so another year on the car will probably be even worse for wear and then a bigger repair bill
With that in mind they could driving around in a death trap

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Am I missing some thing ?

2 year MOT`s will not take vehicles off the road, so after the initial catch up period the same amount of vehicles will need testing...

And lets face it the very, very old 10 year MOT was cut down because cars and the mechanics can deteriorate over that period greatly. and quickly..

But modern cars seem to go on a lot longer than the old sheds.. and dont seem to rust away so quick unlike the old Ford Consul`s/Zodiac`s BMC`s... ETC.. Which was or seemed to be the most common MOT failure..

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Too many people out there never think to do any basic car maintenance as it is and only get things done if it fails the MOT so i think it should stay 12mthly at least, then again we have 2 MOTS a year on our working vehicles (from brand new and have known a few vehicles fail even then) and i would vote in favour of that for all vehicles if was able

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I agree with changing to a 2 yearly system.

When I lived in France we used to get the French "Controle Technique" MOT test done on my UK registered car and my motorbike, in lieu of taking them back to UK for MOT. I know that technically is is not strictly correct but at least it was in compliance with French Law, which is where we were driving, and they were being checked over.

Now as far as I can see the French are driving pretty much the same cars as us ( Peugeot, Nissan, Honda, Ford, etc etc) and are not having carnage on the roads due to unworthy vehicles.

They test every two years, (after the car is 4 years old), but also if you intend to sell the vehicle it must have had the test done within the last 6 months.

What I also liked is that the CT (MOT) sticker must be displayed on the windscreen along with your insurance certificate, as we do with our tax discs. It is very easy to see any vehicle not displaying the MOT and Insurance certificates.

So I am all for switching to bi-annual testing. Perhaps for vehicles over 10 years they could continue with once a year if the stats showed this was a problem, with many failures for dangerous reasons.

nokaii

Free Member
Oct 19, 2010
Nr Manchester
Funster No
Exp

2 year MOT`s will not take vehicles off the road, so after the initial catch up period the same amount of vehicles will need testing...

And lets face it the very, very old 10 year MOT was cut down because cars and the mechanics can deteriorate over that period greatly. and quickly..

But modern cars seem to go on a lot longer than the old sheds.. and dont seem to rust away so quick unlike the old Ford Consul`s/Zodiac`s BMC`s... ETC.. Which was or seemed to be the most common MOT failure..

It's not just rust & rot, although I agree cars these days tend to last a hell of a lot longer body wise.
It's ball joints/trackrod ends & mostly coil springs that take a beating with all the speed ramps & potholes......Our local motor factors hardly ever sold a replacement coil spring, now they sell several each week!

I swear some of the speed ramps near us must be well over regulation height, I for one would like to see them outlawed & replaced with other means less damaging to our suspension:thumb:

So all those vehicles with broken/damaged suspension will now be driving around for 2 years not knowing till it's on the MOT ramp:Eeek:

Steve

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Folks can't even be bothered to carry out basic weekly/monthly checks on the vehicles, so on that basis, I would like to stick with annual tests.

Both garage owners and MOT testers where I have to take the MH due to it's weight, are very busy, but also very fair, and I'd hate to see them go out of business.

Cheers,

Jock.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
What is the problem..........It has been after 4 years you have the first test from new, not three years like in the Uk, and every 2 years after that in France.......No problem here. .......who is putting out these scare stories:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:....mass unemployment....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I thought that is what you wanted less working more leisure:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mel:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Every yr in my mind :Smile: I know it's a pain but for lots of people it is the only time vehicles see a garage ::bigsmile:Personally if somethings wrong I fix it ASAP :thumb: or get someone who can :winky:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

hmm .. maybe I'm also missing something Mo .

my logic says, if the testing frequency is changed to every two years then that's only half the amount of work over a given period.. hence half the amount of testing stations and testers required.. also half the amount of VAT .. can't see HMRC being happy.

I would say a test should be millage rather than time based .. after all , some only do 5k miles per year.. fleet and commercial vehicles can do starship miles.. so if it were changed to say every 12k miles or 2 years , whichever comes sooner, that would make more sense.. but I imagine that would be difficult to police.. so IMO the annual test should be kept .. it also fits in nicely with the 12k or annual service ...

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Only for the first mot free year Brian, in year two I will order the New 40ft Monaco:winky::thumb:

Make sure you get one with a sat dish above reachable height. Some strange folk with tin foil about!

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just a thought.. a two year test would be handy for full timers abroad ... it's the only thing you MUST return to the UK to renew ...
About the same time as a two yearly test may be imposed a Europe wide testing scheme should also be in place, We have already started upgrading printers to take new software that will enable us to print European country of origin logos on the new style MoT receipt, Now theres a clue in there somewhere
The certificate as you know it, is disappearing soon
Geo

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Mileage based MOT may be good in principal but there is no way of policing that unless a vehicle is taken somewhere for a check ie an MOT!!! therefore I definately say 12 monthly - in all rules you need to look at the worst case scenario - A rep on the road can easily do 30k per year some a lot more so if a car is being kept for 5 years - quite normal these days - before it goes into a garage for its first proper check and MOT then it could have done way over 100,000 miles ---- Personally I don't want that vehicle heading down the same road as me.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Mileage based MOT may be good in principal but there is no way of policing that unless a vehicle is taken somewhere for a check ie an MOT!!! therefore I definately say 12 monthly - in all rules you need to look at the worst case scenario - A rep on the road can easily do 30k per year some a lot more so if a car is being kept for 5 years - quite normal these days - before it goes into a garage for its first proper check and MOT then it could have done way over 100,000 miles ---- Personally I don't want that vehicle heading down the same road as me.

Easy to reach 100,000 did it regularly in three years, worst case I did 160,000 in 3 1/2 years due to awaiting for new model.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i agree with the two yearly test albeit with a twist...
modern cars dont fall to bits like they did a few years ago so after an initial 4th year mot from new it should be every two years....then after the 4th mot (or year ten) it should revert to a yearly mot.

now, a question of double standards....

a taxi must have a 6 monthly mot (dont know if its a legal requirement or a local (licencing body) council requirement)

will the increase in time for private vehicles to 2 years mean taxis will be mot'd anually instead of 6 monthly ?

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
About the same time as a two yearly test may be imposed a Europe wide testing scheme should also be in place, We have already started upgrading printers to take new software that will enable us to print European country of origin logos on the new style MoT receipt, Now theres a clue in there somewhere
The certificate as you know it, is disappearing soon
Geo

Geo....Am I correct in what I am thinking, (what you may be saying )...... while we have been out on one of our 4 week travels a Brit motor homer who I think is RVing living in his Eurobox...said why can he not have there van tested in another country....he was heading back to the Uk from Portugal for a MOT and a few other things...he was in France when we met them ...his van is a PILOTE so it was made in France on a Fiat 130 multi jet made in Italy or some other European country,.. said WHY can I not have my MOT done in France or Portugal!!:Doh::thumb:

Mel

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Geo....Am I correct in what I am thinking, (what you may be saying )...... while we have been out on one of our 4 week travels a Brit motor homer who I think is RVing living in his Eurobox...said why can he not have there van tested in another country....he was heading back to the Uk from Portugal for a MOT and a few other things...he was in France when we met them ...his van is a PILOTE so it was made in France on a Fiat 130 multi jet made in Italy or some other European country,.. said WHY can I not have my MOT done in France or Portugal!!:Doh::thumb:

Mel

Simply,we do not recognise other EU MoTs, This is set to change, till it does it means you have to return to the UK for your test

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Simply,we do not recognise other EU MoTs, This is set to change, till it does it means you have to return to the UK for your test
as long as we dont adopt the german TUV.

at least 50% of uk vehicles will be off the road at the first test. :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back