MOT WITH NO CAT, but should it have one (1 Viewer)

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
I had a 1996 Rexhall Vision with a ford F-460 non Cat. There was a label on the engine to this affect. I got rid of that one back in 2015 so the last test was 2014. The Tester would set the emissions up manually and it would pass every time. I now have a Georgie Boy again 1996 and again with the same engine and no Cat. When I said this to the current Tester in April, he said the test is automatically set by the information entered i.e. year, type etc. under this criteria it failed as the computer says my vehicle should have a CAT, even though I could prove that it never had one.It has always passed with every previous owner were ever they have lived Unfortunately there was no label on my current vehicle to say so. So after a bit of wriggling he altered the method of testing and it passed. Now to you MOT testers out there what is the correct procedure, is the vehicle tested as it was manufactured or does ALL the exhaust system have to be changed

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
@Geo Is the MOT man, and also RVs . (y)

The site we have been for the last few days, has a RV for sale. He was telling me this morning he had just taken it for it's mot, only after the test he said it's emissions were better than new vehicles, ;) he then realised it was on gas :D but never said anything. :LOL: Bob.

Reactions: p-c
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I think he entered the wrong data , as your vehicle would not be listed in the annex to the emissions manual so
Some passenger cars first used during the
“transition”
period (i.e. 1 August 1992 to 1
August 1995) and some light goods vehicles and large passenger cars first used on
or after 1 August 1994 were not required to be manufactured to the EC standards
requiring advanced emissions control systems to be fitted. For these vehicles the
non-
catalyst test will
be applied. Owners of
vehicles
which were first used during this
transition period, are advised to check the entries in the Annex to this booklet or
contact the vehicle manufacturer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 15, 2013
Rochester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5years Motorhome. 25yr tugger
7D647789-0B46-4E99-9E55-BE1873DC6532.png
I don’t know much about bloody great yanks but I assume this has a petrol engine. If it weighs over 2500 kg it is not classed as a passenger vehicle. Here is the flow chart used to test. As an exact match will not be found in the data base, if it fails the initial bet test it is tested to non cat limits.

OP
OP
MAUBRI
Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
I Know he entered the wrong Data:rolleyes:

Good morning Geo, Thank you for your input and also "telsdog".

just an after thought, were you aware your web site is currently off.
Oh no. Something went wrong.
This website Broken Link Removed is not available right now.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks for thre heads up , looks like Son has switched it off he's in charge now
or not paid :rofl:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
This 'Cat' or 'No Cat' issue is bothering me right now as our 'van is coming up to the next Test in July/August.

The problem as I see it (from my point of view) is that that the 'front end' is a Fiat X244 which predates the X250.
Although the front end was manufactured in 2005, the van wasn't first used until Sept 2007. Add to that the fact that sometime in the past, it has been fitted with a Stainless Steel Silencer system and I have no idea whether it had a Cat, whether it needs a Cat or whether it will go through the test in this regard when it's tested.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If your not sure you can bet your bottom dollar the tester will be even less sure
unfortunately we have heard every story and excuse in the book as a result we can't take anyone's word on anything
Our Job may depend on someones story
The system based on info supplied by the manf will dictate how the test is carried out
if you disagree with the tester and can't convince him, ask him to use the MoT Help line to make the right decision
Its what its there for, it is anonymous for the station and tester so he cant appear as a idiot
Or you could call the helpline your self and preempt the situation.
I apologise in advance for myself and all the other testers out there for not knowing all the technicalities of every vehicle on the road, this area is new to us as well, were told to enforce rules that in truth we know little about and Manuf info is very sketchy to say the least but your not alone every vehicle registered or built around a cut off year causes problems identifying them

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back