Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Geo

I would be very interested in any information regarding the validity of EU tests in the UK

This is something that I am hoping for in the future so that we won't keep having to return to the UK simply for testing.

Let me know if have any info on that.

Regards to both you and Pammy, I have no doubt our paths will cross soon

Neil
Sorry Neil nearly missed that one
Yes the reason I will be asking about that is
VOSA have already said that new computer software is being written so that we can produce a MoT Certificate with different logo depending on country of origin so for intance when we test a car registerd in France we would then produce a french MoT certificate:Eeek:
it begs the question WHY doesent it:thumb:
How far it will get only time will tell
Geo

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Personally I think a two year MOT is a retrograde step as it will allow cars to drive around with faults not apparent to the driver.

(We do not carry out our own MOT's as we send them out for independent inspection so have no financial axe to grind!)

Peter

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I think its a smoke and mirror exercise Peter
They will grant you an extended MoT then smack you with the tightest regs youve ever seen
Some og these so called warning lights on the dash dont realy indicate a fault its just gremlins
Imagine the cost of anew ECU or ABS unit just to put a bulb out to get an MoT
If it were mine id wire them all up to the alternator so they all went out at the same time:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Hence the need for a scan as well at MoT time:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Redjumpa

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Hi Geo

I have a 1991 Hymer LHD that still has the Km speedo. I have printed out MPH on laminate and stuck it on the speedo and this has passed 3 MOT's now which I think is debatable. I'm sure there are loads of similar vans out there but I'm worried that any new regs might be the final straw for my friendly MOT test centre. Should I be worried?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I stand to be corected but I do not think a working speedometer is actually part of the test as there is no means of testing it unless they do a road test and that is not part of the test.

Yes it could be seen on the rolling road (brake test).

Peter

Redjumpa

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
I stand to be corected but I do not think a working speedometer is actually part of the test as there is no means of testing it unless they do a road test and that is not part of the test.

Yes it could be seen on the rolling road (brake test).

Peter

I was told that it was part of the MOT that you have to be able to read your speed in MPH both in the day and at night............... but I stand to be corrected on that by people in the know. I'm not proud, in this instance I'd rather be wrong :Confused:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Geo

I have a 1991 Hymer LHD that still has the Km speedo. I have printed out MPH on laminate and stuck it on the speedo and this has passed 3 MOT's now which I think is debatable. I'm sure there are loads of similar vans out there but I'm worried that any new regs might be the final straw for my friendly MOT test centre. Should I be worried?
Hi Graham,

Our speedo is in Km too, with no MPH markings of any kind, and it passes the MOT each time, even recording the mileage as Km on the certificate. I have been led to believe also that the speedo face doesn't come into the MOT, but the illumination of it does. For example, yours and mine is front illuminated, whereupon a MPH card can be placed over the Km face and read at night, whereas in later Fiat models you have to change the whole speedo head to convert from Km to MPH, as it is back illuminated.
That is how it was explained to me. :Smile:

What do you reckon Geo?

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just to clarify a few points

1. Speedo function not a testable item
2. |Speedo illumination not a testable item
3. MPH or KPH both acceptable
4. Mileage not a testable item
5. speedo does not work on brake roller testing (too slow to register)
6. Road testing is indeed still part of an MoT test should the examiner feel it necessary for what ever reason
7. Permanent 4x4 are nearly all road tested, using the old trusted tapply meter for the brake test
I think that construction and use regs require the speed to read in MPH:Eeek: and at one point Vosa would insist on it when imported and registered along with the correct lights etc, I don't know whats happened the those requirements
Geo
ps it should be noted
You can be in breach of many Construction and use regs and still pass an MoT

Last edited:

Redjumpa

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years

6. Road testing is indeed still part of an MoT test should the examiner feel it necessary for what ever reason
7. Permanent 4x4 are nearly all road tested, using the old trusted tapply meter for the brake test
I think that construction and use regs require the speed to read in MPH:Eeek: and at one point Vosa would insist on it when imported and registered along with the correct lights etc, I don't know whats happened the those requirements
Geo
ps it should be noted

Thanks Geo
I've just been going through my old emails and I think I was confusing the MOT with a Cert of Conformity on imports...............but that's a whole different can of worms. I know for certain my fog light is on the wrong side!!

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks Geo
I've just been going through my old emails and I think I was confusing the MOT with a Cert of Conformity on imports...............but that's a whole different can of worms. I know for certain my fog light is on the wrong side!!
What!! inside :ROFLMAO:

Seriously as you know its got to be O/S only or or two
there are a few ways to do it neatly if the lights are built in
For example dedicate the o/s reversing lamp to being the fog using a red bulb:thumb:
Geo

Redjumpa

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
What!! inside :ROFLMAO:

Seriously as you know its got to be O/S only or or two
there are a few ways to do it neatly if the lights are built in
For example dedicate the o/s reversing lamp to being the fog using a red bulb:thumb:
Geo

I've seen loads on the inside only, I know that doesn't make it right and it needs to go on my "to do" list. But, then again, it's never been picked up on the MOT!!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

Geo
ps it should be noted
And thanks from me too Geo. :thumb:

That certainly clears up a couple of iffys. :winky:

What size ball and chain I wonder, do they award for not displaying MPH, as per the Construction and Use Regs? :roflmto:

Cheers,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back