LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
As we are usually overnighting in the m/h when it goes for mot so never completely empty and never been a problem.

As an aside, not all vehicle brake testing is done on rollers. ... I have a awd Volvo which is tested on the road with some sort of inertia recording device in the foot well.

I assume this is the case with all 4 wheel drive but don't really know.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No it does not need to be empty for the MOT. In fact I would suggest it should actually be FULLY LOADED in holiday trim (full water etc) so that when the brake test is done it shows the true situation when the MH is in use

... I'd rather it failed the brake test at an MOT than when I'm coming down a mountain road!

This is a test for safety remember ... it's not just a box you have to get a tick in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
ergo a lighter van will require a lesser braking force % to pass
This is an important point for the handbrake on Alko rear axles, which are not the most efficient. An unloaded rear axle is likely to pass more easily.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
For Class 4 vehicles the ATL system will automatically weigh the vehicle and this presented weight will be used for the brake efficiency calculations.

Point taken and fully accepted... But I would still prefer to know the brakes are up to stopping the weight I usually carry .

Edited to ask .

When they MOT what weight is entered into the equation ?

If it's the GVW then whether the van is fully loaded or empty it would not matter how we present the van. IE fully loaded or empty.

So unless they weigh the vans which they don't and the rollers can detect the vehicle weight surely how we present makes no odds ??

Edited again ... Did not realise the equipment weighs the vehicle . Learn something every day .

Informative thread and posts ! Cheers !

Last edited:

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I've had stuff stolen in the past during service and MOT. So now I strip out everything except the spare wheel, thoroughly clean everywhere, present for service and MOT, repair, replace or discard items as necessary and put it all back. This enables me to find stuff I thought I'd lost, or forgotten I had, and to re-pack more efficiently.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I've had stuff stolen in the past during service and MOT. So now I strip out everything except the spare wheel, thoroughly clean everywhere, present for service and MOT, repair, replace or discard items as necessary and put it all back. This enables me to find stuff I thought I'd lost, or forgotten I had, and to re-pack more efficiently.

Time to start using a reputable honest dealer.:eek:
Never ever had anything stolen from cars or vans when being worked on.(y)

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Time to start using a reputable honest dealer.:eek:
Never ever had anything stolen from cars or vans when being worked on.(y)
Luck doesn't write the rulebook, fortunately.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We'd have to move house if we were to empty the van out - and definitely, should we wish to remove the upholstery!

We live in a one bedroom bungalow with the smallest and most inaccessible loft hatch that I have ever seen - it's in the bathroom and impossible to fit a loft ladder. It was the intention when we bought it to do a loft conversion, and as that would most likely mean new ceilings almost everywhere we didn't bother resiting it - but we couldn't afford to do the loft at the time - and we haven't had either the time or inclination since - taking up motorbiking was the first big user of the first thing - and then we bought a motorhome - so no chance!! LOL

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I suspect there may be confusion regarding the rule about carrying goods not in connection with habitation. That I believe means that it should be tested as a commercial, rather than a motor caravan.

Someone will pop up soon with the exact wording, but it is in a nutshell what a just said.

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We full timed for over 7 years never emptied it once.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
May remove some stuff as precaution. SWMBO, has been throwing gear in, faster than I throw it out. So there is a possibility I could be (very slightly) overweight!. And that would never do!. It wasn't when I last weighed it, but it could now be a close thing!.

I am waiting for the DV(Stupid)LA to come back, 5 weeks now since I Faxed them details, and I need to get my C1 updated, before I go for an "upgrade" for 350kg extra payload!.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back