pete c

Free Member
Aug 13, 2013
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 weeks ago went to fetch the van for MOT but couldn't access the security gate at the storage compound so failed at the first attempt.:cry:

sorted early access out at the yard and last week went to get it again and the battery was flatter than a bees wing so failed at the second attempt. :RollEyes:

sorted the battery and access for today and been rewarded with an MOT pass and no advisories. result finally :Smile:

question is should the battery go flat over a 6 week period with no use or is there something I've not thought off draining the thing ?

it took 4 days on my conditioner to bring it back to life and a good helping of electrolyte top up as this was very low. (Possible cause?)

regards. peter

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
parasitic loads.....immob, alarm, radio memory etc..... can flatten a battery quite fast.

If your storage facility is secure, which it appears to be, then consider disconnecting the battery, after all...if some scroat is going to steal it they will need to reconnect the battery therefore enabling the immob and probably activating the alarm.

if it needed a LOT of water to top up i would say either it doesnt get checked often enough or it's overcharging and boiling off.

congrats on the MOT. :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pete c

Free Member
Aug 13, 2013
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
mot

thanks for that, thought i might disconnect to be sure, van has only done 8600 miles so needs more TLC I suspect :Smile:

peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
May be worth having the alternators voltage regulator checked then.

a battery starts to gas at around 14.8/15v and if allowed to continue it will soon boil off the water.

saying that, the charging system on my car is 'smart charge', controlled by the engine computer (PCM/ECU), and is designed to charge at 14.7v constantly which should only happen with a flat battery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back