MOT Test disaster

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by teensvan99, Mar 13, 2018.

1. teensvan99

teensvan99 Funster

Ratings:
    +286
    Hi all.
    Just rejoined so not posted for a long time. Took our Swift 622 2011 reg with 18200 miles on clock with Transit 2.2 engine. Took van for MOT today at a garage we have used for at 10 years and told van passed test fine. Started all good and drove slowly away as only few yards from main road. Pulled into road and a high pitched howl came from engine but had to keep going and noise just the same in 2nd so stopped turned round back to garage. Explained fault so it got put onto hoist. I had by now told wife Ann turbo has blown possible a vein on turbine broke. Fifteen minutes later MOT tester states turbo blown stating it was ok on test as passed emissions test. So as far as he is concerned not his fault or garage. I asked who pays for this, and told I do but the manager might help. He will ring tomorrow when they get their stories the same. They do know I am not stupid and used to build cars and rebuild engines and still do with the son. I can't find which turbo fits this van as it could be one of 3 main makes so need make and number. Van can't be driven and is 20 miles away. Dont know how I stand ,but looks like I'm on a looser. Advice could help.
    Steve

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +28,463
    If it had happened during the test then in my opinion it would be their fault, but as there are/were no witnesses to that then im afraid you will have a fight on your hands

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. chaser

chaser Funster

Ratings:
    +17,539
    In fact , don't think it would be down to the testers if they were only doing what the test requires unless you could prove they had done something other than what is required and as the van started ok , doesn't seem down to them.
    Not defending them in any way but can't see any other outcome I'm afraid.

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Ratings:
    +2,100
    Cannot understand why the turbo would blow on an MOT.From your thread seems like it went pop after your MOT.A disappointment but i don't see what they could have done apart from giving it a few revs for the emission test.But still disappointing hope you can sort it soon.The only consolation is it packed up at home and not abroad.Hope you can sort a good price with the garage.

5. chatteris

chatteris Funster

Ratings:
    +218
    could it be turbo bearings siezing up,has it had regular oil changes

6. pappajohn

Ratings:
    +28,463
    It used to be max revs then foot off pedal, now I believe it's a minimum 3000rpm for 2 seconds, 3 times in succession....plenty long enough to blow the turbo.

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

Ratings:
    +8,751
    Sounds to me like the garage have turned the engine off whilst the turbo was still merrily whirring away & in doing so the bearings have been starved of oil. That'd explain why the turbo let go on the way home.

It'd be a nightmare trying to prove this though. :(

• Like it Like it x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  8. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,159
    The high revving procedure shouldn’t give any issues but if the engine was switched off the second the test machine showed pass, the turbo would be at full chat without any oil supply causing the bearings to run dry.
    As you said slowly driving away would not load the turbo till it was on the road to accelerate away then the bearings would have given up.

9. The gasman

The gasman Funster

Ratings:
    +266
    Years ago my daughter's car had the transmission fail while at the ford main dealer, they had driven it from the parking lot to the workshop, no more than that. The transmission could have gone at any time, as could the turbo. One of our work van had a turbo go this week low mileage and (luckily) still in warranty. Mechanical thing fail all the time, normally it's impossible to find the cause.

• Like it Like it x 3
  10. TerryL

TerryL Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,386
    But that's not really a destructive procedure. I would hazard a guess that whatever it turns out to be was just ready to happen and it was a coincidence that it happened at that particular moment. Just tough luck.

Still feel for you though.

• Like it Like it x 2
  11. Mike800966

Mike800966 Funster

Ratings:
    +76
    We had the turbo blow on our fiat at 60,000 miles when we we 200 miles from home , had jsut pulled out of a layby on max power, came home on low loader but my expert garages opinion is that it was just one of those things and can happen at any time. Wont worry you with the bill but just glad that I was able to talk to mechanics I know and trust. Could have been a lot worse
    Mike

12. pappajohn

Ratings:
    +28,463
    Yes, I agree fully......just pointing out it isn't just 'a few revs'
    As for switching off immediately after the smoke test while turbo still spooled up.....very unlikely.
    In my experience the engine spends more time running during the test than it does turned off.
    When mine is being done immediately after the smoke test, which is the last item before coming off the lift platforms, the brakes are tested......why turn off the engine only to restart it 15 seconds later to put it in the brake rollers.

13. teensvan99

teensvan99 Funster

Ratings:
    +286
    Hi thanks for replying quickly brain did not come up with turning engine off straight after emissions test causing lack of oil as turbo still spinning at 15000+ rpm.Plenty of oil in engine as only changed 800 miles ago along with filter. Even garage said plenty of oil.
    Steve

14. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Ratings:
    +25,020
    In an effort to improve & tighten up on emissions here we now have new machines whereby the nozzle goes in the exhaust on tickover for at least a minute whilst lights, indicators, wipers etc; are being tested then it is revved up.

My last car used to have large manufacturer's 4" x2" stickers on sun visor & door panel by the handle specifically stating not to turn off whilst hot/ just stopped or just revved.

• Like it Like it x 1
  15. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +4,588
    Things mechanical break all the time, its not down to anything done during a normal mot procedure . You don't have any recourse, so if they are prepared to "help" you out of goodwill , I would count your blessings and say thanks to them .

Turbos are not that fragile that one fast switch off after an emissions test would kill it .
    Modern engines get just that and worse done all the time , and still do mega mileages .

16. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +7,829
    Turbo has to be red hot for that to happen though. Not likely to be caused when being tested without load on the engine.

17. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

Ratings:
    +1,668
    Probably a daft question but could an annual mileage of only 3,000 be a contributing factor?

Or that it is a Ford?

18. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Ratings:
    +3,609
    It just wasn't your day- such is life:Eeek:

It's comforting to be able to blame someone else BUT-
    Sh1t happens lets just move on.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  19. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Ratings:
    +12,543
    Just so you know MoT stations are liable for any and all damage they cause during a MoT
    The problem arises when you make a claim against the garage, the Garage will carry insurance
    covering such liability
    If placed in the hands of it's insurance company or a claim is made through DVSA (Vosa)
    The investigation is forensic in nature
    High likely hood of claim being rejected either as

1. The vehicle has not been maintained in strict accordance of Manf requirements
    Every service carried out in due dates every recall attended to and every T crossed and i dotted

2. it will be put down to undefinable reasons (was going to happen anyway)
    Your burden of proof that it was negligence on the testers / garages part
    would also have to be forensically proven to win your case

At my test station we CCTV Record all test procedures to HDD for our own protection .

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like it Like it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  20. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Ratings:
    +1,159
    Turbo failed on my wife’s Smart Forfour at 5,000 miles, it has been carefully driven and serviced by Mercedes main dealer. Looks as though these things can just fail for no apparent reason. Only problem here is that the car has been at the dealer since 1st February and there is still no sign of a replacement as they are on ‘worldwide backorder’. Have complained to CEO of Mercedes U.K. but I don’t suppose that will result in anything moving soon.