Free Member
Jan 29, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
Exp
2 Years
Hi,
Can anyone answer this query for us please:

Next week we leave for France & a 9 month tour of Europe.
We say 9 months because that's when our MOT & Tax will need renewing on our Knaus motorhome.

I understand that tax isn't a problem, form comes in post, someone gets it for you, posts it out to PO box in another country.

But what about the MOT?
Can't seem to get an answer on this one.

Or can we just stay in Europe without Tax & MOT but renew insurance over the net. Then when we are ready to come back to the UK on arriving at Dover, Tax & MOT motorhome then :Smile:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Those of us who spend all our time on tour away from the UK, have this problem every year. The tax can be done over the internet or by post, but you have to go back to the UK for the MOT. Not to renew the tax can lead to a fine or worse. You could SORN the vehicle and re-register on return to the UK, but your insurance could be invalid if you do not have Tax and MOT. I just bite the bullet and return to the UK for the MOT. Just had service and MOT taken care of by Johns Cross Motors near Hastings, which is not too far from Dover. I used them because I could arrange it over the net, and spend no more time in the UK than I have too. All done and dusted in one day and they are nice people to deal with.:thumb:
Pete.

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Mot

Unfortunately there is no way to legaly get an MOT whilst abroad you have to come back to the UK to stay road legal whilst abroad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Unfortunately as Pete says you have to come back to the UK for MOT as it is impossible to tax the MH over the internet without a valid MOT and Insurance.

Its all computer linked these days, Swansea can check both the MOT and Insurance details in the same way the Police can with number plate recognition cameras.

Regards

Peter

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Marrwyck

Will try to answer your query, but I stand to be corrected.
Whilst abroad your vehicle must be compliant with the rules and regulations of the country in which it is registered. This means that you cannot allow your tax and MOT to expire.
The easy way out of the MOT situation is to go and have an MOT carried out next week before you leave the UK, will cost you £40 or so but will keep you legal for 12 months.
With regard to tax, someone could get it for you and post it on, the problem here is that they will need your current MOT and insurance certificate to obtain it from the post office. If by chance you get stopped by the police in Europe you will need to produce these documents which you will not be able to do if you have posted them to the person getting your tax disc. Failure to produce these documents whilst abroad could lead to your vehicle being impounded.
The only solution I can think of is to renew your tax on line when your MOT and insurance will be checked automatically. The new tax disc will be posted to your home address and can then be forwarded on to you.
Whatever you do do not let either of them run out as it could invalidate your insurance.
Hope this helps, have a great trip
Brisey

OP
OP
Marrwyck

Marrwyck

Free Member
Jan 29, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
Exp
2 Years
Thxs everyone for the info.

Well it looks like it's back to the UK next March then.
Until then we'll just keep on enjoying ourselves.

Shame that being in Europe doesn't allow us to Tax & MOT our vehicles whilst in Europe. Must be something to do with European Law, ::bigsmile:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years

Shame that being in Europe doesn't allow us to Tax & MOT our vehicles whilst in Europe. Must be something to do with European Law, ::bigsmile:

No, its UK rules - there is no such thing as road tax in France!

S

stagman

Deleted User

You could also cancel your present tax and get refunded and then take out a completely new one for 12 months along with your new mot which has already been suggested.

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
You don't need to let your MOT expire before you renew it. Take it in before you go and you can stay away for a year. For the tax disc you've already had a couple of suggestions. Renew online when it's due or cash it in and buy a 12 month disc.
In the scheme of things it's not going to cost too much to ensure you're legal for the trip and you've got a few months lee way for other distractions!

Regards
Doug

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
MOT over the water

Can I just add to the forgoing:

If you renew your road fund excise over the "nett" you will get an automated confirmation reply, to your mailbox.....Print it off, and keep it safe...it is proof you have paid your dues, and are fit for the road.

Just done this, the tax disc arrived two days later, not at all bad, but I appreciate it will take longer to be posted out to you. Unfortunately, we are not allowed to specify any other address than the log book registered address...I admit, it does make sence.

Good luck and enjoy your trip

Nomadic

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back