MOT question (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I have just had my MoHo MOT'd but have a couple of concerns.
1, I forgot to take the beam benders off:Doh:
2, I have noticed a few cracks in the rear tyre sidewalls. :Eeek:
It passed with no advisories and my question is should it have done?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

From your own description
It should have passed with two advisories

Headlamp masks fitted:thumb:
Slight cracking to rear tyre side walls:thumb:
G

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
It is normally noted that beam benders are fitted, seems they produce a flat beam. Never taken anything in with dodgy tyres, but I would expect it to be picked up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Didn't notice the tyres until I got it back and was giving it a good wash and polish. Not big obvious cracks but there non the less.
Will have to get a couple of replacements pretty quick. :Sad:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013

None of the above is an MOT failure.........

Your headlights with benders are legal in other countries, so why not here?
Tyres with cracking must have at least a 25mm cut or a cut that reaches the cords. (see link below)

I wouldn't imaging your inspector has been negligent.

Hope this puts your mind at rest.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s04000105.htm

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I wouldn't throw money at the tyres just yet. Lots of motorhomes have small cracking on their tyre walls. Just check from the link provided above by Bobby22 and see where you sit then, or you'll be wasting your pennies :cry:

I'm pretty sure that the mot test centre looked and confirmed that they're not a failure :thumb:

Had my mot in May, complete with beam benders and it sailed through. Benders have been on there for the past 3 mots too

Last edited:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I would be very careful about even small cracks in the side wall. Below is what happened to us on a Motorway in Spain. :Eeek:
Tyres were 5 years old at the time and I have read advice that MH tyres should be replaced after 5 years regardless of mileage or wear. :Doh:
This is also a good advert promoting why you should carry a spare tyre (many motorhomes do not for weight saving reasons) a tin of gunk will not fix this sort of blow out!
We were lucky that we weren't going fast at the time and the road was straight and with a good hard shoulder.

tyre.jpg

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Blimey Makems, glad you survived that ok :Eeek:.
I will take heed :thumb:

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I would be very careful about even small cracks in the side wall. Below is what happened to us on a Motorway in Spain. :Eeek:
Tyres were 5 years old at the time and I have read advice that MH tyres should be replaced after 5 years regardless of mileage or wear. :Doh:
This is also a good advert promoting why you should carry a spare tyre (many motorhomes do not for weight saving reasons) a tin of gunk will not fix this sort of blow out!
We were lucky that we weren't going fast at the time and the road was straight and with a good hard shoulder.

tyre.jpg

Nasty, but how sure can you be that tyre age had anything to do with this? The commonest cause of catastrophic tyre failure is under inflation. Even if you started with full tyres you could have picked up a nail en-route.

Tim

SueBaz

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
Nr Canterbury, Kent
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since February 2012
Tyre blow-out

Ditto Mike very scary

I agree, need to keep an eye on cracking of sidewalks but the reason superficial cracking is acceptable at MOT is that it doesn't represent an immediate danger - hence the very clear failure criteria at MOT. Bit like tyre wear really - the decision on changing them is very much coloured by the use you are going to be making of them in the near future.

Blow-outs are another matter and very often caused by partial deflation of the tyre. An under inflated tyre flexes much more than a correctly inflated tyre, this causes it to get hot and in extreme cases to overheat and explode.

Tyres are, in my experience, remarkably resilient to wear and tear providing they are properly inflated (and routinely checked for damage). Before we went to Morocco I bought a set of Jim's clever pressure warning valve caps. Think they paid for themselves on the way home when we picked up a nail in one of the rear tyres and the cap started flashing. I checked at the first garage and we were at 2.5 bar instead of the 4.5 recommended by Vredestein - being a twin axle the a tyre showed no obvious signs of being low on pressure ...........

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
Cracking tyres is very common on motor homes. It is often caused by weight being on the same part for months without use. Regular winter use, like a few funster meets, would certainly help stop it occurring. As for changing them every five years, that would probably equate to around 10.000 miles for me, and cost around £3000 to change a hardly worn set. Correct pressures and proper use is what you need. Any mechanic or vehicle tester should see cracked tyres and at least tell you about it.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Do check the inner side walls of tyres when you look at them as well as the outer walls.

Took some Michelins off our C4 that were showing signs of cracking on the outside and when the bloke from E-Tyres took the wheels off the cracking was actually FAR worse on the inside than out. Whilst we'd had the car (several years but v low mileage), none of the inner walls had been exposed to sunlight like the outer ones all obviously are.

It was quite scary seeing that, really.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Here is a useful link to help people with any concerns.

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back