Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I have just contacted my local Commercial Vehicle MOT station.(They MOT'd my other Motorhome last year) and they quoted me £40 to MOT my RV.

Sounds pretty cheap to me.:Cool:

They are about the only garage around here with ramp and brake tester capable of MOTing larger vehicles.

Just wondered what the MOT Charge is around the country?

Does it vary much and why?

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Had mine done at Bodmin VOSA station last week and it cost me £50.

It was an absolute heart attack situation trying to manoeuvre into the 'pit' area because they had all kinds of lorries and skips parked adjacent to the main doors - making it impossible to approach the doors head on - we had to go in virtually sideways! :Angry:

They did offer to steam clean my undersides and then waxoyle me - But their ramp was so steep I couldn't drive up onto it! :whatthe:

And this is a purpose designed VOSA station :Eeek:

But I didn't care because it passed :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Had mine done at Bodmin VOSA station last week and it cost me £50.

It was an absolute heart attack situation trying to manoeuvre into the 'pit' area because they had all kinds of lorries and skips parked adjacent to the main doors - making it impossible to approach the doors head on - we had to go in virtually sideways! :Angry:

They did offer to steam clean my undersides and then waxoyle me - But their ramp was so steep I couldn't drive up onto it! :whatthe:

And this is a purpose designed VOSA station :Eeek:

But I didn't care because it passed :thumb:

Wish they'd offer to steam and waxoyl my underside MO and Dick.Sure needs it.:ROFLMAO:

That's what I thought Pat.Seems a good deal.:thumb:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
When your bottom was as rusty as mine - it starts to present piles of problems - nothing like a good dose of waxoyle in the right place :Doh:

damondunc

Funster
Aug 2, 2007
near Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
mot fees

The powers that be set the maximum chargable fee for the mot test, currently £50.35 for a class 4 test (think thats right been out of testing for a while). Testing stations can charge what they want for a test up to the max charge, there is no set fee, hence some garages advertising very low rates in conjunction with other work ie mot £10.00 when purchased with a full service. That was a common one when I was testing in the salisbury area a few years ago.
The charges for retests I believe have changed, you will have to ask Geo about that one, don't know the correct answer.
All motorhomes have to undergo a standard class 4 test irrespective of size or weight unless they are classed as living van, thats a whole different ball game involving class 7 or hgv plating.
Dunc.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Not wishing to start another debate on here about RV's and size etc, but I do think it is necessary to expand just a little on what Dunc says about living vans.

Currently you can see adverts pushing the idea of 'Toy-haulers' where you can carry a car or motorbike INSIDE your RV.

That is classed as a living-van and is subject to HGV status and plating - so I am reliably informed by my local DVLA expert.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Dunc's bang upto date with the regs and fees:thumb:
Just to add, Mo and Dick is talking RV's I know, but same applies to living vans under 3500 they move up to class 7 @£53.80

Here at Pecks Hill Mot.s are only £1.00 for Motorhomes and RVs, but we cant fit em in:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Dunc's bang upto date with the regs and fees:thumb:
Just to add, Mo and Dick is talking RV's I know, but same applies to living vans under 3500 they move up to class 7 @£53.80

Here at Pecks Hill Mot.s are only £1.00 for Motorhomes and RVs, but we cant fit em in:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

That's all right Geo. I'll send you a pic AND £1 and you can send me the "PASS" CERTIFICATE.:RollEyes:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
The man from the ministry say YES to £50.35 but I got a very fair test.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
That's all right Geo. I'll send you a pic AND £1 and you can send me the "PASS" CERTIFICATE.:RollEyes:

Yes I like the Geo postal service?

You just assure him your happy with the vehicle and he posts one out.

He says he's trialling the system for the ministry and of course can discount them as less overheads:winky::thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You know its not that simple John, you have to turn up at a meet with your vehicle, then at least I know you made it that far, futher savings can be made by having a blank one and filling it in yer self 75p:ROFLMAO:
Geo

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
As long as it's DUCT taped together well it's a pass:winky::thumb: