Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Took the van out for a drive yesterday as it was booked in for mot this morning, every thing ok. As the garage is only down the end of our road I always take the long way round to warm it up and put some charge back in the battery. Turning the last corner there was a beep and on came the air bag warning light (mot failure). Well the garage is a Fiat dealer but not Professional and as the van is still under warranty I now have to take it to Bristol now to get this sorted. Any way the mot could not be done as it was not registered to the March 6th if this did not happened. Pleased it happened now in warranty and not on tour.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Good luck with sorting it (y) as you say so much better tis month than next while still in warranty

I am confused though, are you saying the MH was not registered until 6th March? therefore you had booked it in too early?

If so that's a lucky mistake, better that than an over due MOT and finding out the day before you head off for the tunnel which is what would happen to me :)

OP
OP
pops

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
@DavidG58 Yes that's right, I always have MOT's done a month early but did not check date of first registration.
Also I am on jury service the next fortnight so wanted to get it done.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Funny things go wrong just before MOTs. My fiesta car had a hole in the exhaust so I lifted it up on one side and repaired the pipe. Put it down and got in and the ABS light had come on, I thought I had damaged a wire but no it was fine, took off battery and reconnected to disable lights. still there took a trip around the block and it went off??????????? What had happened is that I had started it, to hear if there was a leak and the front wheel spun up with gearbox drag whilst the other 3 stood still and the ECU put i down as a fault on 3 sensors. All 4 going it was reset. Had me worried for a moment

OP
OP
pops

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Good and bad news. Bad news first, took van in for air bag light fault to be told sorry 2year warranty. because it is a foreign import. (ie; Pilote ). If the fiat had been imported as a cab and chassie/back to back/panel van it would have 3year warranty. Cost of repair £300+. :(
I asked if Fiat would help with cost and dealer said they would have a go.
Good news, Fiat agreed to pay for part and fitting. I have to pay for fault test (£68 + vat) (y)(y)
Thanks Fiat and Simonestone of Bristol.

Reactions: GJH

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Funny things go wrong just before MOTs. My fiesta car had a hole in the exhaust so I lifted it up on one side and repaired the pipe. Put it down and got in and the ABS light had come on, I thought I had damaged a wire but no it was fine, took off battery and reconnected to disable lights. still there took a trip around the block and it went off??????????? What had happened is that I had started it, to hear if there was a leak and the front wheel spun up with gearbox drag whilst the other 3 stood still and the ECU put i down as a fault on 3 sensors. All 4 going it was reset. Had me worried for a moment

I took the car for a test toady and it FAILED, because it had no cover on the trailer socket, I put another on it and got the pass. I have never heard of this one before, but a plumber I was talking to had his van fail as there was no cover on his pipe storage on the roof and that made it unsafe, nothing in it but it might be unsafe if a pipe was put in and came out.
There seems a bit more of these thing that can fail so be alert out there a full ashtray might fail next it the sweet papers distract you.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
13 pin socket is an mot item.
A 7 pin one doesnt even get a looking at

If you have a 7 pin socket then complain to the garage manager, if that does no good complain to VOSA.....the garage had their chance to sort ir.
They will investigate and come down like a ton of bricks on the test station.

The bloke with the van should have complained as well......a builders roof tube is not an MOT testable item.
I could understand the concern if it was hanging off the roof but in my opinion it still shouldnt have failed on a non testable item.
I wouldnt be going back next year.

Last edited:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I put a new socket on anyway, they said, after ringing DVLC for clarification, that it is because the cap holds the plug in and the trailer lights would not then work if it fell out. I have to pull like mad to get the socket out, so there was no chance of that happening..

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Good and bad news. Bad news first, took van in for air bag light fault to be told sorry 2year warranty. because it is a foreign import. (ie; Pilote ). If the fiat had been imported as a cab and chassie/back to back/panel van it would have 3year warranty. Cost of repair £300+. :(
Good news, Fiat agreed to pay for part and fitting. I have to pay for fault test (£68 + vat) (y)(y)
Why did you take it for an /MOT if it was still under a three year warranty it is under three years old MOT due on the beginning of the 4th year not the third???????????????

OP
OP
pops

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
@GWAYGWAY. Sorry I should of said the van is a 2013 and first register on the 6th March 2013. I should have checked to see the date but as the tax is due 1st March I wanted to get it done in case there was a problem and as this happened I am glad I did. As you know you can not get a MoT done more than a month before the first registration date so as it was the 1st Feb it could not be done.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
13 pin socket is an mot item.
A 7 pin one doesnt even get a looking at

If you have a 7 pin socket then complain to the garage manager, if that does no good complain to VOSA.....the garage had their chance to sort ir.
They will investigate and come down like a ton of bricks on the test station.

The bloke with the van should have complained as well......a builders roof tube is not an MOT testable item.
I could understand the concern if it was hanging off the roof but in my opinion it still shouldnt have failed on a non testable item.
I wouldnt be going back next year.
!3 pin is an all-singing-all-dancing electrical function test and visual inspection of wiring security / damage etc. 7 pin is visual only hence the cover problem.

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr

so has it been fix as im going through the same think
wating for test report back from testing airbag ecu

OP
OP
pops

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Picked the van up Friday and all working ok.(y) Airbag ecu replaced.

OP
OP
pops

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Job sheet description; airbag warning light on, Confirm fault, connect diagnostics equipment.
Found 1 error in system 80100. Airbag control unit internal fault, requires new ECU.
As I have only done 14681 miles ( 2yr warranty), I asked the dealer to contact Fiat to see if they would do a Good Will deal. Fiat paid 100% of cost of ECU and fitting and I paid for diagnostic test. So if that is your problem it is worth having a go at Fiat. @2bob best of luck.

OP
OP
pops

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Job sheet description; airbag warning light on, Confirm fault, connect diagnostics equipment.
Found 1 error in system 80100. Airbag control unit internal fault, requires new ECU.
As I have only done 14681 miles ( 2yr warranty), I asked the dealer to contact Fiat to see if they would do a Good Will deal. Fiat paid 100% of cost of ECU and fitting and I paid for diagnostic test. So if that is your problem it is worth having a go at Fiat. @2bob best of luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back