Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Hi all

A week of mixes for me..

My pilote passed it mot !! Not bad for a 1998 with nearly 100,000 miles on it... But ...

Whilst I used it last weekend in the Wye valley with my scouts I thought the clutch was a bit dodgy a couple of times on steep slopes

Asked my garage to check it and they say it is 95% worn but the book time to change is 6.9 hours !

I've told them to go ahead and change it but does the time quoted seem right. They are a down the line sort of place and they were shocked at the book time too and have said if it's less they will charged less.

Anyone else had a clutch chnage on 1998 boxer 1.9 td , how much and how long was it ??

Thanks

Daniel

Last edited:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
That sounds like the quote is for full engine out clutch replacement, I am not near my van at the moment, but I imagine it is possible to change the clutch with the engine in situ.
I reckon you'll end up paying much less, have you looked at places like Mr. Clutch?

rapido convert

Free Member
Feb 26, 2015
knutsford cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class rapido 996m
Exp
since 07
Hi daniel,
I did the clutch and swopped the gearbox myself whilst in a camp site in sitches spain a few years ago, now i am no professional mechanic and i did not have access to air tools or a ramp (i used a trolley jack and axel stands), i started the job at 8am and replaced the clutch ,gearbox and refilled it with oil ready to test drive by 2pm, a very friendly German gent helped me by putting a bellhousing bolt in while i lifted the box into position off my chest.
It is a very strait forward job as there are no crossmembers to remove, i simply unbolted the ns lower ball joint and undid the cv joint takeing the whole driveshaft out. The box then simply unbolts after taking the gearbox mount off, the box then easily seperates.
As i say all done on a field with basic tools that i borrowed.
So in my opinion the 7 hrs quoted is a tad longer than i would expect.
Cheers
Andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hi daniel,
I did the clutch and swopped the gearbox myself whilst in a camp site in sitches spain a few years ago, now i am no professional mechanic and i did not have access to air tools or a ramp (i used a trolley jack and axel stands), i started the job at 8am and replaced the clutch ,gearbox and refilled it with oil ready to test drive by 2pm, a very friendly German gent helped me by putting a bellhousing bolt in while i lifted the box into position off my chest.
It is a very strait forward job as there are no crossmembers to remove, i simply unbolted the ns lower ball joint and undid the cv joint takeing the whole driveshaft out. The box then simply unbolts after taking the gearbox mount off, the box then easily seperates.
As i say all done on a field with basic tools that i borrowed.
So in my opinion the 7 hrs quoted is a tad longer than i would expect.
Cheers
Andy.
You didn't rush it did you ?:LOL:

rapido convert

Free Member
Feb 26, 2015
knutsford cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class rapido 996m
Exp
since 07
You didn't rush it did you ?:LOL:
Dont let the grass grow,
The second gear syncro gave up in france by the time we reached spain the pyraneese saw the rest of the box off. Having to crash every gear up and down the box, now i am a firm beliver in fate and as luck would have it we passed a spanish scrappie, i sorced a box which oddly was a citroen non turbo type, strapped it to the scooter rack and made for the nearest camp site, the campsite owner drove us to there equivilent of Andrew Page motor factors where i purchased gear oil and a 3 part clutch, the hardest part of the job was sourcing a 46mm socket and bar to undo the drive shaft nut.
As it happens we would have never stayed at sitches if we had not broken down, it is now one of our favorite places, infact we are leaving the uk tomorrow for the same destination, how spooky is that.
Cheers Andy.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Factory times can be confusing.

The easiest, but most time consuming, way is engine on floor/bench...which is most likely where 6.9 hours factory time comes from.

Unless things have changed it usually front n/s suspension and driveshaft and engine mount removal, gearbox out under wing, change clutch and reverse procedure to rebuild.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I changed the clutch on my ducato 45min to take engine out 1hre to take gearbox off clean up and replace every thing 1hr 25min to reinstate every thing every thing total time 3 hrs. ten min start to finish
mind you have had a bit of practise taking the vans engine out(y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I once changed engine and gearbox in my lunch break using only my knife and fork :)
On a BSA bantam, 4 Wires 1 chain clutch cable and a fuel line three bolts and out, you were hanging around for you had time to eat a sandwich too.

OP
OP
danielf
Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Thanks all for your replies,

it ended up costing £ 600 for the MOT and clutch change. they also changed the main oil seal as well as a main gearbox inout seal were seeping oil.

it back that's the main thing...

Daniel.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
a very friendly German gent helped me by putting a bellhousing bolt in

Here is that same chap after helping another motorist with his bellhousing bolt. (y)(y) What a popular fellow!. :)

Adolf_Hitler.jpg

rapido convert

Free Member
Feb 26, 2015
knutsford cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class rapido 996m
Exp
since 07
Here is that same chap after helping another motorist with his bellhousing bolt. (y)(y) What a popular fellow!. :)

View attachment 62930
I thought he looked familiar . Toot's I seriously pissed myself laughing when I read your reply, as it happens I am pitched between a frog and a Dutch in Spain at the moment we are the only Brits here.

OP
OP
danielf
Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Ditto made me wet my self.

Whilst on way to Wye valley where clutch was going

My french scout leader colleague Asked me when we were nearly there "why do you keep doing nazi like salutes" surely up you don't know that many people. I was of course waving to all the vans coming the other way. ....

Daniel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back