MOT due (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Booked mine in with the VOSA testing station for its first next Friday, nobody else around here can do a large class 4 (thats what VOSA call it) Even the council take theirs to them.

So it will be by the book with no leeway.:Sad: Should be ok. but last year when I had the new headlights set up, the guy said there was a slight problem with one of beam patterns, he wouldn't fail it but VOSA might. (He only does class 7)

Olley

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Good luck Ian, I hope all goes well. Just think how clever you will feel when it passes straight through! :Smile:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+

You MAY be pleasantly surprised Olley. :)
I use the Council testing station in Gorton, manchester where all the bin wagons and mobile libraries etc are done. Because they don't do any repair work for the public, they've got no axe to grind and no potential gain, They're usually pretty fair.
One thing to bear in mind with the headlights on yanks. They do not have a left or right hand bias to the beam, they point down which is why you don't need beem deflectors fo rthe rest of Europe. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Good luck Ian, hope all goes well mate :thumb::thumb:
If the lights are a bit out, the guy may "tweak" them a bit for you, if he is in a really good mood :winky:

Keith

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
You MAY be pleasantly surprised Olley. :)
I use the Council testing station in Gorton, manchester where all the bin wagons and mobile libraries etc are done. Because they don't do any repair work for the public, they've got no axe to grind and no potential gain, They're usually pretty fair.
One thing to bear in mind with the headlights on yanks. They do not have a left or right hand bias to the beam, they point down which is why you don't need beem deflectors fo rthe rest of Europe. :)

Hi Zaskar thats true...................unless you have changed them, got fed up with the crap sealed beams so I changed them, thats why I had them set up.

Olley

Attachments

• DCAM1992.jpg
    DCAM1992.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 18
G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi Olley

you will be pleasantly surprised, they are very good, the main difference I can think of is that they are used to having vehicles that have been cleaned underneath. With HGV's etc they send them away untested if the underneath is not cleaned (I dont know whethor they do this with Class IV as I always had it cleaned first...)

I have never had a Vosa station fail something incorrectly (something that I know as happened on more than one occassion at local MOT stations to me and others)

They will not fix anything, BUT will usually allow you to do it.....

PS The above is what I have found with Vosa Stations in Shrops.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Mines due soon and my light are set terribly and like glow worms.

I will use the council one to!

Can feel new lamps coming on.

These are my lamps below

Link Removed

are these standard type replaceable?

Link Removed

Forgive the dead flies (american love bugs)

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I was also nervous after being told of the strict VOSA testing when my RV was tested in Carlisle. But it wasn't a problem, & I found them very helpful.
They had to explain how I was toapply the brakes :whatthe:
Then they then could not test the C02 emission as they did not have the correct details to set up the machine. :Doh:
So the guy said "It says fail but I'm sure it's OK"........passed.
Don't worry too much because they don't normally deal directly with Jo public. :thumb:

Keith

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Olley
I have mine done at my local VOSA station been twice now and mines 14 years old not failed yet
They don't do repairs so nothing to gain in failing it
good luck with yours i'm sure it will be fine :thumb:

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Guys thanks, got the idea from the guy that set the lights up that they were all jobsworths.

John your sealed beams look the same as mine, I believe you can still buy sealed beams but new lights with separate bulbs are better, I got them new from Duncan complete with two high intensity bulbs, can't remember the price.

I still have to wiring switchers he gave me incase they were wired different, (just a male and female plug that goes inbetween the bulb and your plug) but I didn't need them. If you do change and need them I will post them to you.

Olley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back