MOT Day and she wont start. Burstner Ducato 07, 3.0. (1 Viewer)

NobbyB

Free Member
Jan 8, 2020
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner Levanto
Exp
Since 2003
Hello boys and girls,
Its MOT day. Having done all my prep work last weekend, all fine, this morning I've had to postpone the MOT. She wont start!!
Battery seems 100%, just wont crank over? Tried both keys, locking /unlocking, waiting and so on. Even gave the starter a tap!
The dash lights dont dim on trying to start so I'm suspecting an immobilizer or starter solenoid issue?
I guess I'll have to find a heavy jack and get underneath with a meter?
Who has MOT's in the winter months anyway... Doh!

I have noticed this dash light comes on but goes out, I just can't recall if it used to come on?

Any suggestions please?

DASH LIGHT.jpg.jpg

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Does it arm and disarm with a separate fob { not the key }?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
NobbyB

NobbyB

Free Member
Jan 8, 2020
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner Levanto
Exp
Since 2003
Does it arm and disarm with a separate fob { not the key }?
The remote locks/unlocks fine. That's all we have. Tried spare key but the same result. The immobiliser light goes out just like EML and Airbag light, after a second or two, I just dont recall seeing it light up before. I'll look at the solenoid wire I think but its not given any trouble this past year we've had her and just 1,000 miles covered. 42,000 in total. What a pain.
Thanks

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Have you got 'another' car key in close proximity.

I've known them 'talk' to each other and cause the immobiliser to not switch off!!!
Strange but true.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Is your van an automatic ?
Check your gear stick is located in the N position with your foot pressed on the brake then try starting with the key.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Do you have breakdown Insurance ?
They have test equipment to diagnose.

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Disconnect the main Battery, touch the + and - cables together for 10 seconds, push the brake pedal on/off a few times, reconnect after 20/30 Mins, then try...

OP
OP
NobbyB

NobbyB

Free Member
Jan 8, 2020
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner Levanto
Exp
Since 2003
Do you have breakdown Insurance ?
They have test equipment to diagnose.
I do but not home start or within 1/4 mile I think it is. I've discinnected the solenoid wire, it didn't look bad at all but all cleaned and reassembled. Starter whacked with hammer and still no change. Its dark now so its on charge ready for more checking tomorrow. Very odd though. Here's hoping it'll just start tomorrow ha ha

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Could be an earth problem. Similar issue on mine solved with an additional earth strap.

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Check the engine earth. You can do this by connecting a jumper lead from the engine to anywhere on the chassis. Its possible the earth strap has corroded causing a poor earth. Oops someone already posted.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Maybe key code problem but seems odd both keys aren’t working, could be coding lost or confused on the vehicle side?

OP
OP
NobbyB

NobbyB

Free Member
Jan 8, 2020
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner Levanto
Exp
Since 2003
Hello all, nobody likes an unresolved query so just to let you all know, it was an earth issue. (y)
I cleaned up the earth strap below air filter; gearbox was easy as its a flat suface but the bolt a bit grotty then the chassis stud cleaned ok refitted and hey presto. No more flashing pre heat bulb, just instant start :giggle:
Thank you all for your input. Lesson learned; Do not over think things. :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back