MOT class 4 or 7? (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2014
Ilfracombe, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SLS
Exp
Good evening, i have an MOT booked for tomorrow, the person who booked me in asked what it was, when i said its a motorcaravan under 3500 kgs she said that will be class 7, i always thought that it was classed the same as a car which is class 4. I don't want to argue with her, but is she correct? Thanks Chas.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Testing out of class is considered a very serious offense by DVSA
If you cant identify correctly the vehicle test class how can you be relied upon to test to the correct standard.
Those of you who think 4 is the same class as 7 should ask yourselves why there are two distinc classes
The answer is in the manual which im sure you have all read otherwise why comment.
I rest my case M'lud..

Thank you Geo.

Upvote 0

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
where are you seeing the MOT class that has been tested - none of my MOTs have this stated.
Screenshot 2021-04-27 112927.jpg

i should add, the same garage does my car and it has M1 in "(5) Vehicle category" box

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
VOSA's view (before merging into the DVSA, and I haven't heard of any change in the definition):

"A 'motor caravan' is "a motor vehicle (not being a living van) which is
constructed or adapted for the carriage of passengers and their effects and
which contains, as permanently installed equipment, the facilities which
are reasonably necessary for enabling the vehicle to provide mobile living
accommodation for its users". Motor caravans are not classed as goods
vehicles for MOT test purposes and are therefore in class IV or V depending
on their seating capacity but regardless of their size or weight.

A 'living van' is "a vehicle, whether mechanically propelled or not, which
is used for living accommodation by one or more persons and which is also
used for the carriage of goods or burden which are not needed by such one
or more persons for the purpose of their residence in the vehicle". 'Living
vans' are classed as goods vehicles and, depending on their weight, are
therefore in either class IV or VII within the MOT test scheme or are
subject to HGV plating and testing.

Basically, if you MOT as Class VII/N2, instead of Class IV, it may be used as a "living van". A living van may be used for the commercial carriage of goods, but such carriage of commercial goods is not compulsory. A living van can also be used as a private motorhome and I see no disadvantage to having a Class VII/N2, except that they are more difficult to obtain.

The only way to distinguish a "motor caravan" and a "living van" is by talking to the examiner and telling them what it is used for. You can't tell by looking at it, or looking at the V5. That is what I meant by "negotiations". You have to tell the examiner what the purpose of the vehicle is, and they must ensure that your explanation is plausible. If you come in with the livery of your motor racing team on the side and a race bike in the garage, they are well within their rights to tell you to do one.

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If you mot as a living van depending on weights inc trailers ,then you could fall foul of tachos, speed limiter drivers hours legislation , so if its not a living van why would you go down that route .

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
If you mot as a living van depending on weights inc trailers ,then you could fall foul of tachos, speed limiter drivers hours legislation , so if its not a living van why would you go down that route .

Those are only required if actually carrying commercial goods at the time. Just having a Class VII/N2 isn't enough to actually use as a living van, you need all that other stuff in place too, not least the operator licence for >3500kg or international. I'm not actually suggesting that it would be useful to have an over-specced MOT, just that it wouldn't bother me if I had one. I used mine on N2 until last month when it expired, so I got a IV.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Those are only required if actually carrying commercial goods at the time. Just having a Class VII/N2 isn't enough to actually use as a living van, you need all that other stuff in place too, not least the operator licence for >3500kg or international. I'm not actually suggesting that it would be useful to have an over-specced MOT, just that it wouldn't bother me if I had one. I used mine on N2 until last month when it expired, so I got a IV.
If you have a vehicle over 3500 which you are telling them you are a living van you need a tachograph fitted , and the speed limiter will we checked via the tacho at test , both of which are reasons to fail . If you fail to install a tachograph in a vehicle that needs one, fines can range from £2,500 to £5,000. There is also the risk of a verbal warning, or legal proceedings.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
If you have a vehicle over 3500 which you are telling them you are a living van you need a tachograph fitted , and the speed limiter will we checked via the tacho at test , both of which are reasons to fail . If you fail to install a tachograph in a vehicle that needs one, fines can range from £2,500 to £5,000. There is also the risk of a verbal warning, or legal proceedings.

It wouldn't get to that, as you'd have to be at a DVSA HGV testing station and you just wouldn't bother. If you were insistent on getting a new N2, you'd probably need to fill in a Tachograph exemption certificate, which would then prompt them to ask why you aren't just MOT Class 4, unless it was because of refusal for Class 4 because you've got your personal private scooter in the garage. As this would not be carried for gain, you could claim tachograph exemption under "Vehicle is not over 7500kg GVW or is part of a combination of vehicles not over 7500 kg combined GVW which is not used commercially for carriage of goods", although it makes a mockery of their rules forcing you to get an N2 in the first place.

However, this situation is more about whether you need to re-test if you've already got a Class VII or N2 for some reason.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back