Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
So excited !
Have to tell someone. Our Frankia -classic ie old!- passed her MOT today with no problems.
So we can go to France next week!
Can you give me some help on email access while on holiday.
I read the post about dongles and 3 and didn't understand a word of any of it:cry:.

Can anyone tell me how to get wifi access in France on my laptop while we are away? I don't have a mobile with internet access and don't want to sign a contract for this one trip.
Any help gratefully received. :Confused:
Lucille

M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
WiFi

So excited !
Have to tell someone. Our Frankia -classic ie old!- passed her MOT today with no problems.
I read the post about dongles and 3 and didn't understand a word of any of it:cry:.

Can anyone tell me how to get wifi access in France on my laptop while we are away? I don't have a mobile with internet access and don't want to sign a contract for this one trip.
Lucille

Hi Lucille,

Are you looking to get internet access direct to your laptop through wireless access points in France or do you want to go for a Dongle?

If you are just looking to get laptop wireless point access then there are many places in Europe that offer free wireless points including Aires on the motorway and major roads, you just need to make sure that your laptop has it's wireless function enabled.

Best Regards,

Mark.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
You can always use internet cafe's, most allow you to use your own laptop & if you shop around there are always some cheap ones. We found that we had free wifi when we were on the Norfolk line ferry earlier this year. Not sure in France but in Germany in some of the bigger shopping centres you could purchase a card with a code to give you a wifi connection for a limited time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

stagman

Deleted User
So excited !

Lucille

Don't forget McDonalds for wi fi access in France.Also check out some campsites on route they may also have access.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
So excited !

Lucille

Congratulations on the MOT pass Lucille.:thumb:

Always a worrying time.Excellent news.Now to look forward to France.

Happy Trails and safe journey.::bigsmile:

Most McDonalds and Starbucks have wifi which is available.

Enable the wireless on the laptop and scan local wireless points for unprotected access points and voila.:thumb:

Last edited:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Hey, Lucille, well done on the MOT! If you are heading south as far as the Limousin, Parc Verger has free wifi, and there is a 10% discount from pitch fees for all Funsters.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Wherever you go enjoy your time in France - it's a beautiful country.:thumb:

Bob

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hey, Lucille, well done on the MOT! If you are heading south as far as the Limousin, Parc Verger has free wifi, and there is a 10% discount from pitch fees for all Funsters.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Wherever you go enjoy your time in France - it's a beautiful country.:thumb:

Bob

What's your wi-fi range Bob?

Any thoughts of upping the transmit/receive power?:winky:

One of these MAY do it.

Link Removed

Last edited:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Love the idea, especially with the extension to the site that is ready for next year....but I have a sneaky feeling the local Mairie may not approve!:cry::ROFLMAO:

Bob

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
You could always disguise it as a Big Tree.:ROFLMAO:

Link Removed

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
well done lucille. Good to know the Vans fit for use ::bigsmile: Must be alll that work you had done at Stratford.

As for wifi, as said, simply use Mcdonalds, Or when we were touring Germany, find a housing estate, tour with your wifi enabled, wait for unsecure netwok (loads about even here) and bingo, get on, surf and then get the hell out.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
staging lady

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Thanks to everyone or all the advice. Thanks to Tina and Glen who sorted out our electrics at Stratford. Made a big difference. Looking forward to another meet to say Hi to all those we met.

Passing the Mot has fired us up to get the new graphics on the van as the mechanic said the underneath was better than the top. So now going to treat the old girl to a reupholstery. Thanks for help on the wifi. You know all the technology is going so fast it's leaving me behind and I sometimes feel like a dinosaur,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: The lesser lucillausaurus I think

Lucillausaurus

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Has anybody else tried this method of extending their wifi range Link Removed I found I could certainly improve my signal if it was weak using a simple cooking scoop.
I have often thought about fixing my USB wifi dongle next to the LNB on my cheap suitcase satellite dish. What I found using the scoop was that it was directional & I could see the signal change as I rotated it.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
well done lucille. Good to know the Vans fit for use ::bigsmile: Must be alll that work you had done at Stratford.

As for wifi, as said, simply use Mcdonalds, Or when we were touring Germany, find a housing estate, tour with your wifi enabled, wait for unsecure netwok (loads about even here) and bingo, get on, surf and then get the hell out.::bigsmile:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It's surprising just how many unsecured wi-fi installations we come across.:Doh:

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
WiFi Abroad

Google FON, it uses personal wifi to give public access. You either have to buy airtime or reciprocate with your home WiFi . All access points shown on online map

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back