LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
There is no restriction, You could live at John o groats and have your MOT at lands end, but that's taking the P**s
This is of course in a non covid world, Its all bit up in the air right now

So the judge may not like it but he couldn’t do anything about the distance.

Point taken re non COVID normal world rules 👍

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Some people are questioning if motorhome hab checks or servicing is essential even if it does help keep the industry going. But my question still stands. Is moving a boat essential? What is the owner going to do with it when it gets to where it’s going? What can’t wait until covid is over?
Few possible ways to answer this but the simplest explaination could be that its all a job?
the boat was sold by someone in a job
the loading and delivery was by someone in a job
and no dount the recievr was someone in a job

SO in miy mind it is essential as it is all for work and work travel is permitted when it cant be done from home. I see no harm here.

if you are asking if selling the boat is essential, then yes, Ive listed 3 jobs that rely on boat sales, let alone all the ancillary jobs that spin from it. SO there is your answer why it cant wait till covid is over. The same as car or motorhome deliveries, cogs need to keep turing for the economy.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Few possible ways to answer this but the simplest explaination could be that its all a job?
the boat was sold by someone in a job
the loading and delivery was by someone in a job
and no dount the recievr was someone in a job

SO in miy mind it is essential as it is all for work and work travel is permitted when it cant be done from home. I see no harm here.

if you are asking if selling the boat is essential, then yes, Ive listed 3 jobs that rely on boat sales, let alone all the ancillary jobs that spin from it. SO there is your answer why it cant wait till covid is over. The same as car or motorhome deliveries, cogs need to keep turing for the economy.
As do the jobs in motorhome dealer workshops. Motorhome deliveries. Motorhome sales.

I am very much for keeping the economy going as far as possible. This lockdown is well less tough as the first. Far more is going on. Building sites are open, factories are open. Maybe that’s why the numbers look so bad. ( covid variants obviously don’t help)
But if an officer sees fit to stop a truck with a boat on the back and check into it I see no problem.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
A couple of weeks ago I bought another camper off ebay.

It has no MOT but is driveable (only 200 miles since last MOT pass) -it was two hours away down the M1.

I could have driven it home to a pre-booked MOT but decided to have it transported - cost £250

Cost of me being driven to collect, 2 lots of fuel and someone else's (free) time would have been cheaper but the chance of a breakdown in an unknown vehicle.

Was the collection essential?............ Of course

I wanted to take possession of my purchase and the seller wanted rid - and the 'transporter' got a wage

Keep the economy moving !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Some people are questioning if motorhome hab checks or servicing is essential even if it does help keep the industry going. But my question still stands. Is moving a boat essential? What is the owner going to do with it when it gets to where it’s going? What can’t wait until covid is over?
If a commodity is sold and purchased, the transfer of ownership of said commodity becomes essential, whether its a pallet of cornflakes, a box of bubble wrap or a boat.

In this instance, the vendor required his mooring in Plymouth to be vacated and the purchaser in Woodbridge, my customer, wasn't too keen on paying over £300 per month for moorings down in Plymouth when he is already paying for moorings at Woodbridge. He wasn't too keen on leaving his £160,000 boat down in Plymouth either.

I recently moved a 12m RNLI rib from West Wales to Norfolk. Perhaps I should have refused to do it as moving a boat isn't essential :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
If a commodity is sold and purchased, the transfer of ownership of said commodity becomes essential, whether its a pallet of cornflakes, a box of bubble wrap or a boat.

In this instance, the vendor required his mooring in Plymouth to be vacated and the purchaser in Woodbridge, my customer, wasn't too keen on paying over £300 per month For moorings down in Plymouth when he is already paying for moorings at Woodbridge.

I recently moved a 12m RNLI rib from West Wales to Norfolk. Perhaps I should have refused to do it as moving a boat isn't essential :rolleyes:
I think you are getting silly there. A lifeboat is way different to a pleasure boat that can’t be used anyway.
I used to have yachts. My pals have yachts. But moving them around the country right now is dubious I think.
So if I sold my motorhome to someone in another part of the country would moving it to the new owner be an essential journey?

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I think you are getting silly there. A lifeboat is way different to a pleasure boat that can’t be used anyway.
I used to have yachts. My pals have yachts. But moving them around the country right now is dubious I think.
So if I sold my motorhome to someone in another part of the country would moving it to the new owner be an essential journey?
I do not think you understand how much it costs to stand a HGV, Should folk just stop buying cheap tat from Amazon and Ebay because I doubt you could call most of that crap essential as its been said, the wheels need to turn or a lot of people will be up S**T creek in a boat made out of S**T and even if they had a paddle I bet it would be made of S**T

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I do not think you understand how much it costs to stand a HGV, Should folk just stop buying cheap tat from Amazon and Ebay because I doubt you could call most of that crap essential as its been said, the wheels need to turn or a lot of people will be up S**T creek in a boat made out of S**T and even if they had a paddle I bet it would be made of S**T
How much does it cost to close a pub, restaurant even if they could operate in a civil safe way.?How about the cost of mothballing planes and ships.?

I can see the arguments about buying and selling and wanting possession. I can see that needs hauliers. I guess it depends on what you call essential

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Have you only bought 'essentials' in the last 12 months?
No. No more than you have. But not much non-essential stuff. But if you take this to it’s limit everything would be justifiable

I guess I’ll just have to get out more as that would be essential to my mental health.

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
How much does it cost to close a pub, restaurant even if they could operate in a civil safe way.?How about the cost of mothballing planes and ships.?

I can see the arguments about buying and selling and wanting possession. I can see that needs hauliers. I guess it depends on what you call essential
Holiday planes and holiday boats are not essential, stop the trucks for a week, you would know!

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Ive been for this Officer!

943215EB-F6FC-43F5-A18A-42B9BA897FD4.jpeg

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Good job its not up to you then isn't it?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Do you really want to extend this? I want to get business moving again ASAP. Ive been talking to fellow small business owners - so many of whom will not be re-opening - its truly sad, ever upwards for amazon and ebay though.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Do you really want to extend this? I want to get business moving again ASAP. Ive been talking to fellow small business owners - so many of whom will not be re-opening - its truly sad, ever upwards for amazon and ebay though.
No. I would allow free movement of people and businesses. I’d reopen everything. But I think the virus has other ambitions.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

In this instance, the vendor required his mooring in Plymouth to be vacated and the purchaser in Woodbridge, my customer, wasn't too keen on paying over £300 per month for moorings down in Plymouth when he is already paying for moorings at Woodbridge. He wasn't too keen on leaving his £160,000 boat down in Plymouth either.

You did not tell us whether the policeman who questioned you was a traffic or a beat officer. If traffic he should have known that you would have filed your movement order, unless he just wanted to check that.

If the various forces's areas that the movement order was sent to did not consider the movement essential they had 48 hours to stop it, so people's opinions on here about whether it was essential is overruled by the police approving the movement.

Geoff

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
You did not tell us whether the policeman who questioned you was a traffic or a beat officer. If traffic he should have known that you would have filed your movement order, unless he just wanted to check that.

If the various forces's areas that the movement order was sent to did not consider the movement essential they had 48 hours to stop it, so people's opinions on here about whether it was essential is overruled by the police approving the movement.

Geoff
No Geoff, he wasn't a white cap, which is why I mentioned the difference in being stopped for a valid reason ref: C&U or drivers hours etc.

And you are 100% correct, the Police approved the movement which trumps all opinions.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I own a Transport Consultancy, I can update and downrate vans and HGV's including STGO, Log abnormal movements on ESDAL2 which is what I imagine Paulypaul does, I Hold international qualifications and I am supposed to know all about weights and dimensions but there are a lot of rules and yes, sometimes I have to look at my bible to be sure, I wouldn't push the MOT thing obviously, but I do wonder how it would play out in court, I would imagine the judge wouldn't be on my side!
Do you 'uprating' for MHs?

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
MoT this morning, 7 a.m. at South Gloucester Yate testing station a week passed the 6 month extension date. Pass with no advisory thank you. On the way home police pulled me over just after 8 a.m., "are you on an essential journey", "yes just had an MoT", "oh yes at this time in the morning", "yes sir here is the certificate". I completed the interview with as I keep it on the road to comply with the law I have to keep it road worthy, hence the MoT. I don't but felt a bit smug in saying so. We parted our ways. So glad it was not a failure! Impressed by mask and gloves the PC was wearing. Be safe everyone.
Lucky he didn't try to fine you for "wasting police time".Lol

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
I asked my local Constabulary by online chat about whether I would be OK to take M/H for an MOT, this is how it went :-

Chat Transcript Starts Below

2021-01-31 09:29:33 Operator: Hello, you are now chatting with a Police Control Room Operator, how may we help you today?
2021-01-31 09:29:45 john: Hi, Am I allowed to take my Motorhome for an MOT test,as it runs out in February 2021 ?
2021-01-31 09:30:23 Operator: Yes you are allowed to drive without an MOT if you are travelling to the MOT Test centre.
2021-01-31 09:31:39 john: I am going to the testing station whilst the current MOT is valid, but was more concerned about Covid travel restrictions.
2021-01-31 09:33:10 Operator: If the MOT test centre is still open and operating I can not see why this would be a problem if you deem it to be essential. For full guidance please refer to the Government Website.
2021-01-31 09:33:30 Operator: https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
2021-01-31 09:33:48 john: Thanks
2021-01-31 09:34:23 Operator: Is there anything else we can help you with?

End Of Chat Transcript.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How are the public supposed to get a straight forward answer.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
No Geoff, he wasn't a white cap, which is why I mentioned the difference in being stopped for a valid reason ref: C&U or drivers hours etc.

And you are 100% correct, the Police approved the movement which trumps all opinions.

I can assure you, abnormal load movements are rarely (if ever) mentioned at shift briefings.......unless you are Traffic and you are directly involved.

Far more important information that needs a mention. (y)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
And im glad it does.

Ive reported police before for wasting my time on a random stop.

One cheeky bugger pulled me over in my vw splitty back in the 90's just to have a look as he was thinking of buying one ... Bloody cheek.
Not cheeky, I did the same when I saw a guy riding a Kawasaki GT750, ended up buying it off him, turned out he was a disqualified driver so shouldn’t have been on it 👏👏👏👏

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Not cheeky, I did the same when I saw a guy riding a Kawasaki GT750, ended up buying it off him, turned out he was a disqualified driver so shouldn’t have been on it 👏👏👏👏
Are you a police officer ? Abusing your use of blue lights in public so you can peruse vehicles you like.

If so then you're breaking the law

If not then its a different thing. I too have approached people who's vehicles ive been interested in etc ....its not that i objected to

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back