Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Mine is due for an MOT in November and know it will pass if I take it to the guy's that did it last year but quite a jaunt.

My question is are the lap belts sufficient as I think I have seen some debates about them?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hello John,

There's an article at UK Motorhomes, with links to the legislation Here. As the article itself states, it's a bit complicated - but hopefully you'll be able to find the answers you want.

Graham

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi John
Mine passed last year with no problems and we have lap belts, so although I cannot give you a definitive answer I would guess that you will be OK. If they pull it up then you will have to think about doing something else mate, just be sure to get it done with plenty of time left on the old ticket

Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Its right up tio a point, however "The new requirements will mean that from May 2009, in any vehicle of whatever age, where seat belts are fitted in the rear, more passengers may not be carried in the rear than there are seat belts available.

The above is not actually accurate more passengers can be carried in older vehicles, but the seatbelts fitted must all be used and somewhere there is a list which shows in which order they must be filled ie along the lines of children under 6 must be seatbelted first etc etc, they have not however actually limited the number of passengers retrospectively I did go into this in some depth with Marsham when doing the bus.

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi John

from a safety point of view in a big heavy vehicle lap belts are overkill ie safe even without any at all, legally they are not ok depending on age of the vehicle (but to all intents and purposes they are ilegal on any post March 1981 Motorhome)

Although I dont own a motorhome, I do have access to a good (ish) memory and google :ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Following and during a situation with another RV (Keith will recall) I made numerous call to VOSA technical and spent a lot of time waiting while they debated, the outcome was and still is to my recollection, lap belts in the driver and front passenger seats do not meet the current requirements, and a 3 point belt is reqd,however because my RV wont fit in my own testing station I took it somewhere else, and it passed with lap belts,It appears its pot Luck John
Geo

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Thanxs all:thumb:

Going to ring the local authority centre where the do the buses and things and here there view:Doh:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
John if you ask, you will make them check:Eeek:
far better to chance it, coach and bus testing stations will be the most likely to fail it, they need to know belt regs in paticular

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
John if you ask, you will make them check:Eeek:
far better to chance it, coach and bus testing stations will be the most likely to fail it, they need to know belt regs in paticular

Cheers Geo:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back