Mot advice please. (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
After a bit of advice regarding the wife's Renault Megan please 2014 model.
Its been parked up for about 18 months and started / moved around the drive most weeks
last week the battery seemed to be playing up so I've bought a new one as specified for the model after fitting this a warning text keeps scrolling across the dash " check stop start function "
Would this be an Mot failure with the new rules ?
I can't find any way to reset the car in the drivers hand book and don't fancy taking it to the local main dealership as they really haven't impressed us since buying the car from them.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I don't think so (don't know for sure) but you'd be better off selling the vehicle if you don't use it.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
On most cars I think you can turn this function on and off. Perhaps if you tried this it would reset, it may even be that having been without power it just wants to make sure you make a selection.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
After a bit of advice regarding the wife's Renault Megan please 2014 model.
Its been parked up for about 18 months and started / moved around the drive most weeks
last week the battery seemed to be playing up so I've bought a new one as specified for the model after fitting this a warning text keeps scrolling across the dash " check stop start function "
Would this be an Mot failure with the new rules ?
I can't find any way to reset the car in the drivers hand book and don't fancy taking it to the local main dealership as they really haven't impressed us since buying the car from them.

Most modern vehicles have a specific way that the battery must be changed or even jump started ,to prevent electrical problems. Citroën being one of the worst. I can't believe Renault would be any different.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I believe it has to be a warning LIGHT not text on the information panel before it's a fail.

Once the car is moving it will reset itself but as already said, it will have an on/off button somewhere.

Mine says 'stop start conditions not met' so asked the dealer as its under warranty.
"Oh, it will need a new battery as it needs to be at least 80% charged and its coming up to 3 years old so may not be charging."
It starts the car on the key, they can take a running jump.... 3 year old AGM battery showing 12.4v after 24hrs stood.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
If it has Start Stop there is almost certainly a secondary battery somewhere on the vehicle and a monitoring system to regulate the Start Stop function. There will be a specific method to follow for disconnecting and replacing the main vehicle battery as the condition of both batteries is monitored by the ECU and has to be reset on battery replacement. On my Volvo the dealer would do this via diagnostic software, but it can also be achieved by leaving both positive and negative cables to the main vehicle battery disconnected for at least 6 hours before connecting the replacement battery.

The Stop Start message is probably a result of the battery monitor sensing not having been reset, but could mean that the auxiliary start stop battery has also failed. Repeatedly starting the car to only run it for a short period and or move it a short distance will be taking a lot out of your batteries and will not have been doing your engine a lot of good either.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
This little video might help bolster the advice @Deneb has told you.
Sadly its a video with subtitles, but IMHO it is interesting.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
This little video might help bolster the advice @Deneb has told you.
Sadly its a video with subtitles, but IMHO it is interesting.

The video refers to hybrid vehicles. Our Smart MHD has one battery only. I can't imagine why two would be needed for Start / Stop in a purely ICE car.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The video refers to hybrid vehicles. Our Smart MHD has one battery only. I can't imagine why two would be needed for Start / Stop in a purely ICE car.
Agreed, my Hyundai has one 70ah AGM battery.
I think most stop start vehicles use AGM for their slightly higher charge rate and deeper discharge.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
On a bit of a change of tack I had my motorhome MoT’d this week and thought it was useful to be given the mass and axle weights. Is this a feature of the new MoT or have I just missed it previously? I guess the weights include a driver who would be needed to apply the brakes.

Hope this is not seen as hijacking the original MoT thread.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC

To share the load of the additional engine starts and running of consumers whilst the engine is stopped, that would otherwise place an additional load on the normal vehicle battery that could damage it and/or shorten its life.

My car is not a hybrid and I know of several non hybrid vehicles built by other manufacturers than Volvo which have additional support batteries when fitted with Stop Start systems.

I don't know whether the OP's Megane has an additional battery or not. I could spend time searching the internet to find out, but reason that the OP could do that just as easily. I'm sure he could also search for reasons why his Check Stop Start system message might appear, but having occurred right after replacement of the vehicle battery it is more than likely that it is related to the functional monitoring of the Start Stop system not having been reset, the car having been jump-started or a battery charger having been incorrectly connected.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
On a bit of a change of tack I had my motorhome MoT’d this week and thought it was useful to be given the mass and axle weights. Is this a feature of the new MoT or have I just missed it previously? I guess the weights include a driver who would be needed to apply the brakes.

Hope this is not seen as hijacking the original MoT thread.
Pre/early Computor MoT, the tester would input the weight from an official brake test weight chart
Now fully automated weight info is set by the system, The tester just inputs actual reading, from rollers
No tester should ever rely on Customer info, His job depends on it

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
No tester should ever rely on Customer info, His job depends on it
I knew I hadn’t supplied the info, which is why I found it helpful to be given it. Saves taking it to a public weighbridge. First MoT for this vehicle but I do not recall being given it on previous reports.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Hardly good technical advice but given the complexity of vehicle electronics these days my advice when disconnecting or removing a battery is park vehicle switch off and remove ignition key and have a brew. While drinking it check on internet if any special procedure for that vehicle.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985

I may be wrong but surely the weights given are not specific to that vehicle at that moment. They are the manufacturers weight figures for that model. Therefore of limited value in judging overload or not.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I believe the figures I was given were taken from the MoT machinery. They certainly don’t tie up with any figures given by the manufacturer on the Certificate of Conformity.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
To share the load of the additional engine starts and running of consumers whilst the engine is stopped, that would otherwise place an additional load on the normal vehicle battery that could damage it and/or shorten its life.

My car is not a hybrid and I know of several non hybrid vehicles built by other manufacturers than Volvo which have additional support batteries when fitted with Stop Start systems.

I don't know whether the OP's Megane has an additional battery or not. I could spend time searching the internet to find out, but reason that the OP could do that just as easily. I'm sure he could also search for reasons why his Check Stop Start system message might appear, but having occurred right after replacement of the vehicle battery it is more than likely that it is related to the functional monitoring of the Start Stop system not having been reset, the car having been jump-started or a battery charger having been incorrectly connected.
I understand why a greater capacity might be needed and why the OEM might choose to install a bigger battery or a second battery to increase capacity. What I don't understand is why battery 2 isn't replaced at the same time as battery 1. One would assume they're both the same size?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have a Fiat Panda 4x4 with stop start and I always have it turned off as it seems to kill batteries.the strange thing is when it’s off the switch light is on can be confusing if you don’t realise it.(y)(y)(y) Had to have a new battery around three years old.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I believe the figures I was given were taken from the MoT machinery. They certainly don’t tie up with any figures given by the manufacturer on the Certificate of Conformity.
My belief is that for the weights given to have any value in determining your laden weightthey have to be taken by using a calibrated weighbridge. The weight figures used in MOT are based on manufacturers figures. I can't imagine a test station having a weighbridge . The definitive answer will come from your test station.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
My belief is that for the weights given to have any value in determining your laden weightthey have to be taken by using a calibrated weighbridge. The weight figures used in MOT are based on manufacturers figures. I can't imagine a test station having a weighbridge . The definitive answer will come from your test station.
I believe the weight of each axle is measured by the rolling road in order to calculate braking efficiency. I've often used the displayed weights to note the axle weights.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My understanding is that the rollers weigh the vehicle, as reported by @Geo and @Cavs . The manufacturers figures were not the ones shown on the report.

OP
OP
John.
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thanks for all the advice folks(y)
Thinking I'll just have to take it for an mot at least that way I can take it for a couple of mile run with any luck perhaps it might reset itself?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The weights used in mot brake testing have no bearing and have no other use or application
They are a vosa/dvsa formula
Not all rollers weigh the vehicle and calculation is based on more than kerb weights

OP
OP
John.
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Well it passed the mot and the stop/start text made no difference thankfully.
Unfortunately the few miles drive didn't get it to reset so we'll give it a run into North Wales and see how that goes.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
My understanding is that the rollers weigh the vehicle, as reported by @Geo and @Cavs . The manufacturers figures were not the ones shown on the report.
At our last MoT the weights from the brake rollers showed ours to be 500 kg overweight. I queried this with the tester who said they are not reliable. Took it to a weighbridge & it was 300kg under. That's a difference of 800kg between brake rollers & weighbridge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back