Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have heard it reported that driving tired can be likened to drinking and driving, because your reactions and concentration levels are s/lower. I am sure this is true. We have probably all struggled to stay awake at some time in our driving lives when tired and on a long journey. When travelling with the family I will stop driving at the slightest sign of fatigue because I know how dangerous it can be. In a motorhome you have no excuse to drive tired because it is just too easy to pull over have a coffee or a kip.

But yesterday I drove 600 motorway miles from Spain to Paris, at a steady 60mph. This wasn't our plan as we were going to find somewhere to stop after lunch. I did have one power nap and we did stop for an hour for lunch, but I felt fine and just kept driving. Sian kept me supplied with fresh coffee and good conversation throughout. I did not feel at all tired at any time, which is testament to either Sians conversation, the coffee or the comfortable Georgie Boy ride, but I expect it was combination of the three.

I am sure that I will be more fatigued today fighting the crowds and chasing three kids as they run riot for 12 hours in Disneyland:whatthe:

What's the most miles you have done in your motorhome in any one day?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
'morning Jim

Plans to go awry some times, I would generally only drive no more than about five or six hours per day with a least two stops but on one occasion we drove from Mont St Michel to Mimizan on the South West Coast, around 600 mls, but that was an exception, due to bad planning. :RollEyes:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Dunkerque to Basel about 450 miles in about 11-12 hours.

Olley

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi
I don't like to do too many miles at a time (unless I have to of course...), and recantly on our French trip I only managed about 150 miles in a day, but that did include wiping out half a French village, almost decapitating 2 French cyclists (don't worry, Geo made up for my bad judgement and got one of them in the tailwash :roflmto:) and scaring a French pedestrian half to death :roflmto:
If I had driven the miles you did Jim, gord only knows how much of France would be in ruins :roflmto::roflmto:

Keith

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi folks
Calais to L'escala 740miles 14hours
That included several tea and food stops, and a driver change for the long
motorway bits.

regards......nige

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
Arromanches to Coventry with a Calais -Dover crossing in between
rob

V

vanessa

Deleted User
We've all done some crazy drives ... OK so mine have been in cars, but Poole in Dorset to Poolewe in Scotland non-stop was memorably stupid, having set off after work on the Friday (did see the sun rising over Loch Ewe which was amazing) ... we then stayed just one night before doing exactly the same thing in reverse, and back to work on Monday morning!!

We frequently do various points in Southern England to here in the Correze non-stop, via Dover ... around 700 miles in one day. But this is all with 2 drivers, so one can get a little bit of kip whilst the other is driving ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: But the best drive has to be on Sandy's 50th Birthday. We drove through Spain, Andorra, France and into England all in the space of 24 hours. :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back