Most likely the last time for us .......... (2 Viewers)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As some of you know we are picking up our new to us AC Wentworth on 4th Oct so another of our favourite holidays that we are on at the moment will probably be the last time we partake after our big investment in our MH.
I realise it's not MH related but it is a holiday :) Moored up this evening rather than parked up.:LOL:
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I must say after reading some posts on here they are quite clever. Every one comes with a self levelling system built in, no need for clocks 'n stuff.;)

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Which canal are you moored on? Looks great, will always wish we'd been able to try out a narrow boat.
And bigger adventures await you soon!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We were camped next to canal just outside Chester, loved the narrowboats would love to holiday on one or own one but hubby not keen.:(

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Which canal are you moored on? Looks great, will always wish we'd been able to try out a narrow boat.
And bigger adventures await you soon!

We are on the Llangollen Canal heading towards Whitchurch in the next few days. Down the locks tomorrow, this one was built in 1794 I believe.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Y
We were camped next to canal just outside Chester, loved the narrowboats would love to holiday on one or own one but hubby not keen.:(

Yes we have done the trip through Chester on our way to Ellesmere Canal museum brilliant day out if your a fan of the canals.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Narrow boats are great but when you fancy a holiday in France for a few days, what do you do?
Bro in law took a concrete hulled barge all the way down through france.....after crossing the channel in it.

Daftest thing he ever did, flat bottom concrete boats are not for the open sea, but he was a merchant navy captain in charge of tankers and grain ships so knew what he was doing.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the wife's grandparents lived and worked on the canals of the midlands. grandmother was even born on a working narrowboat. because of that, the wife has a lifelong fascination and fondness for all things canal related. a true gongoozler

me, i like them, but dont like the idea of being restricted to certain stretches of water without a lot of effort

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Bro in law took a concrete hulled barge all the way down through france.....after crossing the channel in it.

Daftest thing he ever did, flat bottom concrete boats are not for the open sea, but he was a merchant navy captain in charge of tankers and grain ships so knew what he was doing.

I have seen the report of a narrowboat being sailed across the channel to cruise their canals but it was strapped to two sea going boats and then nearly didn't make it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We have an old MH, and an even older NB, so you can have your cake and eat it.........(y)

That would be fantastic but we had to make a decision which one and the cost to keep a boat on the canals swayed us.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
the wife's grandparents lived and worked on the canals of the midlands. grandmother was even born on a working narrowboat. because of that, the wife has a lifelong fascination and fondness for all things canal related. a true gongoozler

me, i like them, but dont like the idea of being restricted to certain stretches of water without a lot of effort

It's a leisure pursuit for 99.9% of people but it was bloody hard work in its time.

Upvote 0

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
What a lovely idillic scene
I would live on one tomorrow if i could and I would even sell the van if that was necessary
I just need some peace and tranquty in my life for a while. This is just a personal opinion understand.
before me and the wife decided to split we were going to live on one when we retired or even before but thats all done with now. I reasearched it to death.
I dont know If i will ever fulfill the dream but i live in hope.

ironically i sued to own a wentworth before my current van
X186 npo

Phill

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Well Phill, we researched it too. We found out that it would be far more expensive to do than our plans at the moment and we couldnt afford it plain and simple. The mooring fees and B/Waterways fees are three times the cost of our MH and our static van we will be living in when not on the road .

BUT,BUT, BUT, we would have done it without a doubt if we could have afforded in an instant, total chill time without a shadow of a doubt.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back