Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Health and safety plus environmental issues are better today on sites but it all has to be paid for

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
oldies like me will remember sites at 2 quid a night or even less.. a stand pipe in the corner of a field of uncut grass and little else..

We used to go to one in Cornwall at Portscatho .. old guy used to charge about £7 a week.. just a field on the headland, with views to die for.. water had to be collected from a standpipe in the village, waste disposal was a 6ft deep trench dug with a JCB.. When he died, the land was sold , it's now a expensive camping site with all mod cons.. that's how they all go

times and sites have moved on and are now catering to a young generation who want a lot more, glamping (hate that term) in Yurts, Airstream Caravans, Shepherd's Huts, old boats .. you name it.. they use it

there is also another type who have never owned went camping, buy a camper van or motorhome and then expect cheap holidays, wild camping for free, a romantic notion they will be nomads and travellers.. then discover that the 'cheap' holiday in a camper isn't going to be cheap..

campsite owners will charge whatever the market supports.. just like any other service..they want to make as much profit as possible..
is there anyone who would do it differently ?
@Jim and @old-mo for starters

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I think that’s the problem, costs have gone up like land, electric etc so they charge more. Only trouble is wages have not kept pace so people see these prices as very expensive.
or us foreigners very, very, very, very, very, ludicrously expensive

campsite owners will charge whatever the market supports.. just like any other service..they want to make as much profit as possible..
yes me. You got the same service 24/7 365days year at the same price and with no call out charge for the 20 years I ran a business

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
or us foreigners very, very, very, very, very, ludicrously expensive

yes me. You got the same service 24/7 365days year at the same price and with no call out charge for the 20 years I ran a business
Ahh yes but we have to pay to get the clouds pulled over to shield the sun so you lot can come somewhere cooler

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I have paid over €100 a night in Spain.

Not happily though.
We can easily find €90 a night for a pitch in the South of France but we are a travelling circus with more kids than a Monty Pythons sketch and more dogs than Paul O'Grady.... never topped the €100 a night though:cry:
That's mental think the most I ever paid a night was £27 and I don't think I've been on one since

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
oldies like me will remember sites at 2 quid a night or even less.. a stand pipe in the corner of a field of uncut grass and little else..

We used to go to one in Cornwall at Portscatho .. old guy used to charge about £7 a week.. just a field on the headland, with views to die for.. water had to be collected from a standpipe in the village, waste disposal was a 6ft deep trench dug with a JCB.. When he died, the land was sold , it's now a expensive camping site with all mod cons.. that's how they all go

times and sites have moved on and are now catering to a young generation who want a lot more, glamping (hate that term) in Yurts, Airstream Caravans, Shepherd's Huts, old boats .. you name it.. they use it

there is also another type who have never owned went camping, buy a camper van or motorhome and then expect cheap holidays, wild camping for free, a romantic notion they will be nomads and travellers.. then discover that the 'cheap' holiday in a camper isn't going to be cheap..

if anyone would like to park in my fields for a night or two they are very welcome for a fiver, pub accross the road shop and another pub up the village a mile away.
no facilities but you are wecome to let your grey out where you stand and i suppose i could find a drop of water.
but absolutly no black, no showers or toilets no hookup.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've just booked am all inclusive holiday in maspolamas gran canaria for a week in January in a 4 star hotel.

£411pp with 20kg bag allowance flights airport transfers and airport parking

Sod paying £100 to park my own motorhome on a bit of ground for a night. ..

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I have the Southbourne C&C site just down the road from me and apparently when it was sold a few years back the new owner paid Best part of a Million Pound:Eeek:

Although it always seems to be busy you wouldn’t make your money back charging £10-15 a night...

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We can easily find €90 a night for a pitch in the South of France but we are a travelling circus with more kids than a Monty Pythons sketch and more dogs than Paul O'Grady.... never topped the €100 a night though:cry:
28 euros is the most i have ever paid,,Easter in Spain,,,Still recovering and it was years ago,,BUSBY,,,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Can someone show me where I can get a nice hotel , with lots of facilities with breakfast for two at £49, or even just a B&B ?

Perhaps stating the obvious, but campsites are businesses and as such have to make a profit, otherwise they may as well sell and build houses..

If you bought land, spent perhaps £250,000 (on top of the land cost) , installing facilities, roads, hard standings , EHU, etc etc .. would you not set prices it at the rate the market would support to recover your capital and to hopefully return a profit, or would you run as a service to the motorhome community ?

There are plenty of cheaper sites, CLs etc that are under £20 per night but if you want a prime location, top quality facilities.. you will have to accept that's what they cost.. or else go to the Beach front Hotel (if you can find one ) at £49 per night for two
FRANCE,,Premier Class and B & B chain hotels throughout France,,45 to 55 euros a night bed and breakfast,,,BUSBY,,

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
FRANCE,,Premier Class and B & B chain hotels throughout France,,45 to 55 euros a night bed and breakfast,,,BUSBY,,

thread is about expensive sites in the UK.. my comment was in reply to someone who said it would be cheaper to stay in a hotel (UK)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
thread is about expensive sites in the UK.. my comment was in reply to someone who said it would be cheaper to stay in a hotel (UK)
You could fool me,,have seen SPAIN and FRANCE mentioned in previous posts on this thread,,,,Sorry i spoke,,,BUSBY:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Have never spent over £20 a night but then rarely if ever stay in the UK. We also avoid coastal areas as we live by the sea and prefer mountains when away.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Aaaaaaaah but .............. you forgot to look at the thread title ....................... :D2
And so did a few more,,,,See we are not all perfect,,,:D2:D2:D2

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
tank-4.jpg

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
Could someone please clarify what "awning" means? I've always taken it to mean the thing that rolls out from the side of a motorhome at roof level, above the door, but is it in fact one of those attachable tent-like structures which one fixes around the door of a motorhome or other vehicle?

I was surprised, to say the least, when I saw that a certain UK campsite was charging extra for an "awning" (made no sense; "How can they do that?") but I think it must be the second thing I mentioned, namely the tent-like structure.

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
Jim, I understood that for paid-up members, the Security Handbook is free. I tried to download it but "6.99" is coming up. What might I be doing wrong? Thanks.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Could someone please clarify what "awning" means? I've always taken it to mean the thing that rolls out from the side of a motorhome at roof level, above the door, but is it in fact one of those attachable tent-like structures which one fixes around the door of a motorhome or other vehicle?

I was surprised, to say the least, when I saw that a certain UK campsite was charging extra for an "awning" (made no sense; "How can they do that?") but I think it must be the second thing I mentioned, namely the tent-like structure.
I just say mine is a sun canopy so no charge. A fully enclosed awning usually has a sewn in ground sheet and damages the grass.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

A tent like structure fixed to the side of a motorhome or caravan is what is generally considered to be an "awning" by sites on their list of extras

The roll out 'awning' is not charged for, if asked if you have an awning , say no.. call it a sunshade

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years

No, the cost of breakfast is now on top of the 'per night' charge at B&B chain ones, think it's 7 or 8 € pp. We and our kids still like them as quick easy and reliable stopovers but if you want a bit more cosiness, a soft furnishing anywhere or a carpet, you need to go a bit up the ladder - eg Kyriad or Campanile - nearer €80 for the former and €55 for the latter - again extra for any food or drink.

We were very close indeed to Stonehenge this last weekend and noticed the pub B&B prices started at £75. Yes of course it's 'touristy' there but just a comment!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We were very close indeed to Stonehenge this last weekend and noticed the pub B&B prices started at £75. Yes of course it's 'touristy' there but just a comment!
Woodbridge area, in Suffolk , 70 quid and upwards

Broken Link Removed

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Sandy Balls always looked overpriced. Good luck to them.

The C&MC seems like good value compared with the high priced commercial sites! You even get attentive wardens for no extra charge!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If you bought land, spent perhaps £250,000 (on top of the land cost) , installing facilities, roads, hard standings , EHU, etc etc .. would you not set prices it at the rate the market would support to recover your capital and to hopefully return a profit, or would you run as a service to the motorhome community ?

Reading this section of Mr Scotjimland's (a man who knows his stuff) post made me realise why it is free to stay at QMJ...

No money spent on facilities, roads, hard standings or EHU.

No profit needed.

But only available to invited motorhomers who can follow the rules... :rofl:

Genuine City fans get free beer included with the fee. ;)

JJ :cool:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
stayed at waldergraves mersea this weekend 38 a night and 2 for dog no electric not even a tap in the field we was on arrived 6pm friday and left 10am sunday so 76 to rent a patch of grass for 40 hours

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
stayed at waldergraves mersea this weekend 38 a night and 2 for dog no electric not even a tap in the field we was on arrived 6pm friday and left 10am sunday so 76 to rent a patch of grass for 40 hours

According to the site, EHU is included in the pitch price of £38 .. or were you on a non EHU pitch by choice which is the same price ?

This is an "all singing dancing site" in high season.. entertainment, swimming pool , etc etc , it's not just a field on a farm.

yes expensive, but prices are no more than many sites abroad with similar facilities .. and cheaper than many we have used in France and Spain in high season.

Why we prefer using CLs

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
We have stopped at Pinewoods and will do again. To us the dog friendly beaches that go on for miles, the pretty harbour where one has to sit on the wall eating fish and chips whilst people watching, or a number of excellent pubs and cider farm shop in Wells next the sea make it well worth the expense. Those that won’t pay miss out out on a great location for a few pounds. IMHO.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back