Mosquitos - where are they? (Spain Costa Blanca) (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We have rented our house it in Spain over the summer, recently taking it back over.

I always get bitten and get bad reaction. So I normally cover up or use repellants, getting away with it. Mrs. TM does not usually get bitten and if she does, no big bumps.

This year, we have both been bitten to hell by them. Yesterday, after:

* Spraying Every room with fly Spray
* Burning those stinky coils (Raid)
* Raid plug-ins
* Citrus scents around the house
* Put huge Lavender plant at the door.
* 2 Insectocutors

I awake covered in more bites.

Are they around during the day?
Have they got in the soft furnishings like bed bugs?

I only have fenisil for the after effects and its driving me mad.

Any suggestions please (sensible ones)?.

TM

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Peaceful Sleep.
Spray the room and leave. Very effective.
We bought it in South Africa. Manufactured there but available in uk.

PSA150.jpg

https://www.techniblock.co.uk/Mobile/peaceful-sleep-insect-repellent-c2x23118277

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Hi TM

We spent a few days at a lovely villa with pool in Javea last week. And we got badly bitten in the garden.

Apparently, it has been a terrible year for mosquitoes in Javea, according to the agent looking after the villa. And we know from the visitors book that previous occupants had had a particularly bad time on that score.

We were told it had been a relatively damp summer, and that was the main cause.

We found a large leaflet in the villa produced by the Local Authority in Javea, indicating the town has a major problem with the black 'tiger mosquito', which it said arrived in 2004 and has got progressively worse since then.

The leaflet makes various suggestions of what to do to reduce the problem and also explains why the council won't fumigate the area to get rid of them.

Most of the suggestions were about reducing open water - difficult when there's a swimming pool - and also indicates how to make a mosquito catcher out of a plastic bottle. Cut the top off the bottle off and put water with sugar dissolved in it and add some yeast - then invert the top of the bottle into the lower half. Presumably it attract the mosquitoes, which can't then get out. It suggests emptying once a week. I've absolutely no idea it it is at all effective.

I've got an idea your place might be near Javea? But in any case, it might be worth seeing if you can get hold of the leaflet - its title is: "El mosquit tigre es cosa de tots', but it contains an English translation as well as the Spanish content. The green cover is illustrated by a magnified picture of the black tiger mosquito on somebody's flesh. Produced by Xabia Ajuntament. On the back it says "Tiger mosquito affects all of us".

For what it is worth, I couldn't help wondering if all the posh villas packed in where we were staying with their lush green lawns that have automatic sprinklers, wasn't a significant contributor to the problem?

You certainly have my sympathy, but I really don't have any practical advice to offer beyond what you are already doing.

Hope things improve.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Thanks Mikebeaches!

Yes, we are in Javea, next to the Granadella national park, 5 mins from Arenal and have two sprinkler systems that I switched off when we arrived.

I know about the Tiger Mosquitos and why we have so many.

However, I was not aware of the leaflet you mention so will go to see what I can discover.

Great Response, thank you.

TM

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi TM

We spent a few days at a lovely villa with pool in Javea last week. And we got badly bitten in the garden.

Apparently, it has been a terrible year for mosquitoes in Javea, according to the agent looking after the villa. And we know from the visitors book that previous occupants had had a particularly bad time on that score.

We were told it had been a relatively damp summer, and that was the main cause.

We found a large leaflet in the villa produced by the Local Authority in Javea, indicating the town has a major problem with the black 'tiger mosquito', which it said arrived in 2004 and has got progressively worse since then.

The leaflet makes various suggestions of what to do to reduce the problem and also explains why the council won't fumigate the area to get rid of them.

Most of the suggestions were about reducing open water - difficult when there's a swimming pool - and also indicates how to make a mosquito catcher out of a plastic bottle. Cut the top off the bottle off and put water with sugar dissolved in it and add some yeast - then invert the top of the bottle into the lower half. Presumably it attract the mosquitoes, which can't then get out. It suggests emptying once a week. I've absolutely no idea it it is at all effective.

I've got an idea your place might be near Javea? But in any case, it might be worth seeing if you can get hold of the leaflet - its title is: "El mosquit tigre es cosa de tots', but it contains an English translation as well as the Spanish content. The green cover is illustrated by a magnified picture of the black tiger mosquito on somebody's flesh. Produced by Xabia Ajuntament. On the back it says "Tiger mosquito affects all of us".

For what it is worth, I couldn't help wondering if all the posh villas packed in where we were staying with their lush green lawns that have automatic sprinklers, wasn't a significant contributor to the problem?

You certainly have my sympathy, but I really don't have any practical advice to offer beyond what you are already doing.

Hope things improve.

http://www.javeamigos.com/downloads/Pamphlet Tiger Mosquito 2016.pdf

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
That looks ghastly, and pretty painful! :(

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We have rented our house it in Spain over the summer, recently taking it back over.

I always get bitten and get bad reaction. So I normally cover up or use repellants, getting away with it. Mrs. TM does not usually get bitten and if she does, no big bumps.

This year, we have both been bitten to hell by them. Yesterday, after:

* Spraying Every room with fly Spray
* Burning those stinky coils (Raid)
* Raid plug-ins
* Citrus scents around the house
* Put huge Lavender plant at the door.
* 2 Insectocutors

I awake covered in more bites.

Are they around during the day?
Have they got in the soft furnishings like bed bugs?

I only have fenisil for the after effects and its driving me mad.

Any suggestions please (sensible ones)?.

TM
I wouldn't rule out flea's, have the tenants had pets in the house or could any stray cats or fox's have entered during your absence. It don't take long to infest a house if they have.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If you drink lots of beer I think it helps(y)

I had a few bites in July but they didn't drink much of my beer.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Be aware of time
I get bitten late afternoon but because of the time it takes for the itching to start, I blame being bitten at night.
If available... aircon, they don't like cold.
Vitamin B - overload your system with it via supplement tablets and, if you can stand it, marmite.
Don't discount clothing - long sleeves, long trousers, socks. Doesn't sound great but the right fabrics (linen) can be as cool as shorts/tee-shirt.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Be aware of time
I get bitten late afternoon but because of the time it takes for the itching to start, I blame being bitten at night.
If available... aircon, they don't like cold.
Vitamin B - overload your system with it via supplement tablets and, if you can stand it, marmite.
Don't discount clothing - long sleeves, long trousers, socks. Doesn't sound great but the right fabrics (linen) can be as cool as shorts/tee-shirt.
The other day late afternoon I saw a 'little fly' on the inside of my elbow, don't know why but it just caught my eye. I brushed it off and wondered if it was a mozzi, sure enough 12 hours later there was a small itching bump. They only need to land for 2 seconds and the deed is done. That's the first time in my life I've ever seen one in action.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
View attachment 188938 A German friend suggested wash-up liquid in vinegar !
Yes I've seen this trap. The single drop of Wasing up liquid is to remove the surface tension so the fly will sink and drown, the vinegar is to attract fruit flies not mozzies. You put cling film over the top of the glass and put a hole in it so they can get in but it's harder for them to get out.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We are in Benidorm and the mossies are busy but we have noticed it's the tiny ones doing all the biting and a sweep of the Motorhome with and electric swat sees it sparking like crazy but the flies just incinerate we have not seen one tiger in three weeks

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Always get bitten and bad reactions, started taking antihistamines week before I go and while out there, don't stop them biting but react a lot less and don't have the terrible itching.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
We live just outside Lisbon, thankfully not troubled too much my mozzies, although they go more for the missus than myself.

We have a venom extraction kit, for use when first bitten (good for snakes and spiders, apparently). Basically a syringe for sucking out the poison. It's simple, cheap and it works

Antisan is a good topical antihistamine cream

Piriton is a good class 1 antihistamine tablet

A freshly used teabag placed over the site can help ease the pain

Best of all is hyrodcortisone cream. Usually the 1% mix is fine, and if you can get your hands on the hospital strength 2.5% that is an instant fix.

For avoidance, the leaflet is pretty much spot on about dryness, and it may be worth using a fan in hot weather to keep them at bay.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Our house is up at 464 metres (a bit over 1500 ft for us oldies) and most of the little b****** don't fly this high. Mme has a set of plug in poisoners that dispose of most of the high fliers and to counter the really determined there is a sucker-outer and Antistan (sp?).

When travelling we try to avoid slow moving water, boggy bits etc and not scratch the bites.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Luckily the mozzies here are harmless enough.

But I wonder is the Spanish folk where you are are troubled as much as you are ?

Maybe it's a forriner thingy ???

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Luckily the mozzies here are harmless enough.

But I wonder is the Spanish folk where you are are troubled as much as you are ?

Maybe it's a forriner thingy ???
Yes, they are suffering or were.

I was talking to some Spanish people whilst out walking and they said it was one of their worst years.

When we stay in the South Of France around Cavaliere and Grimaud. The area is plagued with them. Just never had so a big problem in Costa Blanca.

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
This was inside the flyscreen in my van down Alicante way, scared the living daylights out of me, big as a Jack Russell it was:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0261.JPG
    IMG_0261.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 76

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back