Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Solar is only good if you have LOTS spare as a large fridge can draw up to 17 amps. 17 amps on top of maintaining other demands. It's no good having drained batteries by the evening. Because mine uses a voltage sensing relay it will disconnect the fridge if the batteries drop to 12.6 volts
Best to only use it once the freezer is already frozen to minimise consumption.

I would say gas is most efficient/cost effective but only at refillable LPG prices like 54.7ppl

Last edited:

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
My fridge uses around 4 amp on DC ,

i put a bypass switch on my Rapido electroblock and on the Fendt a switch that bypasses the ign / fridge relay.

12 volt maintains the fridge temperature level and it is Free

240 via the inverter will make the fridge colder and it is Free.

Gas will make the Fridge colder but it costs ... so we only use it at night on a very low ( 2 ) setting ,

We have left the inverter on all day without any problems but we do have 260 watts of solar it hardly uses any battery power ,

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
even better if you open an acount with calor and then you can fill up your tank for house use without paying the fuel tax levy. have to fill at a calor depot though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Has any of you funsters that have been to Morocco done a spreadsheet on costs over the 3 month period just to give us newbies an idea of what we will need.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Somewhere between 3 and 5 grand depending on your life style
We spent about 4.5k last time but that included a few major buys like solar panels and stuff and a lot of mistakes on travel like unesasory tolls
Next time we are budgeting about 3k for 4 months hopefully

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Can't be totally specific about Morocco, but did a spreadsheet in 2014 which also included Spain and Portugal over a 3 month period. Our total spending for both of us, everything including meals out, prezzies etc. came to a tad under £40 per day. Although we didn't do one this year, the bank account seemed to show we spent less, having spent 7 and half weeks in Maroc rather than 4 in 2014, again over a 3 month period.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Somewhere between 3 and 5 grand depending on your life style
We spent about 4.5k last time but that included a few major buys like solar panels and stuff and a lot of mistakes on travel like unesasory tolls
Next time we are budgeting about 3k for 4 months hopefully
I should of stated that this trip was 90 days away from home 2 weeks to travel down 8 weeks in morroco and 2 weeks home and total was all costs door to door
And all our major mistakes with spending where done in first month

Reactions: DBK

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The total round trip from Sunny Scunny " up north " was 5500 miles .
previous year was 6500 miles but with Diesel being 69 p a litre in Morocco .....

Our average per day was £10 .including the ferry .food .diesel. Presents . eating out a lot . A few bits made for the van .camp site / guardian fees . booze . Tolls in France n Spain etc .

We Left UK 27 Dec back in UK mid April .We also went to Gibraltar and had guided tour . Meals out and bought phone and Bombay Sapphire ☺

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
What are the regular Maro goers thoughts on the 2016 trip at the mo?

We are still keen for a 2nd visit but will have to see how unsettled things are. I seem to remember we went through this last year with various attacks taking place in Europe.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Has any of you funsters that have been to Morocco done a spreadsheet on costs over the 3 month period just to give us newbies an idea of what we will need.
I keep a spreadsheet of all my costs for each trip. Our first trip last year came in at around 3 grand (on tablet at moment and away from lap top where spreadsheet stored) I included everything, from insurance, ferries. Tolls, fuel, entertainment , tour's, presents, food and drink and meals out in restaurants. My experience was we spent more in the first month due to the big overheads like ferry, fuel, and insurance costs but the next two months made a huge saving. We spent a fourth month in Potugal which we found very cost effective. Most of our savings came from not using campsites and the 2 we did use were a lot cheaper in europe.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Further to my last, just checked my spreadsheet and my total cost for Moroc was €2797.83.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Incidently, I have just fully loaded my caxton card at 1.40 to the pound. Over the moon at that exchange rate.

Just loaded ours very good rate Thx

Paul

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
As per costs,we don't keep any sort of speadsheet as anyone who knows us will not be surprised by.But a rough working out with all costs including ferries, tunnel,fuel etc and taking into account what we normally spend at home on entertaining(booze)& savings on heat at home we were about even.This was with only spending 2 months in Morocco, this coming year the plan is to spend 3 months so should be a saving........Martin

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
This is true, and you are cordially invited to view said wheels,maybe next week sometime if you are available?
Congratulations on the new wheels. We are both looking forward to meeting up with you but are coming to a very busy time of the year at the moment. I'm now covering my son in law's job while he is on holiday and have other family commitments through August.
Are you going to the Saltfleet rally, we are and it would be great to meet up with you again.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Finding them is the easy part it's getting the lazy buggers out of bed that's hard :rolleyes:
This is true, or though in our case it was getting the lovely Lin out of our van at 2am in the morning that we struggled with, even telling her to b*gger off didn't work, she just demanded more coffee! :doh:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
This is true, or though in our case it was getting the lovely Lin out of our van at 2am in the morning that we struggled with, even telling her to b*gger off didn't work, she just demanded more coffee! :doh:
Coffee my arse

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back