Morrisons Blanket Ban On Refilling All Lpg Tanks And Bottles (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
Now there is a statement that might keep this thread going for a while longer

Reading posts on the forum, it would appear that the majority of Gas it / Gas lo type systems have been home fitted :)

Maybe Morrisons have a point (y)
They do have a valid point and a duty of care, however a blanket ban is not the answer. Educating forecourt staff perhaps is?
My system was fitted by a qualified engineer and checked annually as part of the habitation check

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Ouch ! I hope this is not catching to other retailers . We already had a problem last year in Italy where they totally refused to fill our professionally fitted Gaslow system . They said that they would get a 5000 euro fine if they did . In the end we filled up in one of the very few stations in Austria . No problem at the moment since we very seldom use Morrisons but definately one to watch . As others have said a memo might have been sent to all branches .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It does occur to me that if you were quite happily able to fill up somewhere, regularly with no problem why the hell would you contact the operators of said facility pointing out it's against their own rules to allow this. I really don't understand the thinking behind doing something like this.

As others have said a memo might have been sent to all branches .

Possibly yes. But it probably wouldn't have been if the OP had left things alone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
It does occur to me that if you were quite happily able to fill up somewhere, regularly with no problem why the hell would you contact the operators of said facility pointing out it's against their own rules to allow this. I really don't understand the thinking behind doing something like this.

Possibly yes. But it probably wouldn't have been if the OP had left things alone.
I take exception to your "why the hell" comment!
I can fill up no problem when near home! But when out and about all year round other branches act different and refuse filling. On your stance are you suggesting we just ignore it bury our heads in the sand and wait until all outlets follow them and stop all motorhomes filling up?
The hard fact of the matter is Morrisons are in the wrong, they are not following industry guidelines and need to readdress the situation.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Our local Morrison's forecourts are quite tight for space. Nearby is a local independent supplier whose pump is just inside his yard gate, again challenging reverse in access with roadside parking on the small industrial estate where it is situated Nr. St.Helens RLFC ground.
I looked others up, found Caldo Petrol a Station on A580 East Lancashire Road, Manchester bound about 1/4 mile before A570 Rainford by Pass @ St.Helens. Very wide access, LPG pump on right hand side lane near carriageway, the rear pump which is the first you get to. No problems with attendants. None locally will sell at domestic ex vat, all sell at vehicle fuel rate, and I for one am not starting any argument with them - it's so much cheaper than robber calor prices in any case.
Shell at A580/M6 is probably one most will use as you just drop off the M6 on to it, and straight back on after refuel. I need to check access.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I can fill up no problem when near home! But when out and about all year round other branches act different and refuse filling. On your stance are you suggesting we just ignore it bury our heads in the sand and wait until all outlets follow them and stop all motorhomes filling up?
The hard fact of the matter is Morrisons are in the wrong, they are not following industry guidelines and need to readdress the situation.

Your own original post stated that you haven't had any problems filling up at Morrisons. There's no mention in any of your posts prior to this one about any of their other stores refusing you. You stated that your knowledge of this supposed ban was from a magazine article you had read, when your personal experience is that there isn't a problem.

You appear to be trying to start a campaign to make them allow you to do something that they were allowing you to do anyway.

And just for clarity they can't be in the wrong. They are a private business who can do what they like. They are under no obligation to sell anything to anybody if they don't want to. The guidelines are just that: advice on how to sell the product should they choose to do so. If, due mainly to your actions in contacting them, they decide to enforce their ban, which was probably forgotten in a filing cabinet somewhere until you reminded them, then that's their business. Buy it somewhere else.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp

I think you will find that as a private organisation Morrison's can refuse to sell any product to any individual, or group, under whatever policy they want to, probably race/religion/equality regulation breaches excepted.
Industry guidelines are just that. Now, if they were allowing filling of motorhome cylinders not having a fixed external filler then they would be falling foul of the guidelines which would be used in any HSE regulations enforcement.
But, not selling to motorhomes if that is their policy is their policy, if you mount a serious campaign to reverse policy my guess is you can expect even stronger reinforcement of their current position in the meantime.

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
Your own original post stated that you haven't had any problems filling up at Morrisons. There's no mention in any of your posts prior to this one about any of their other stores refusing you. You stated that your knowledge of this supposed ban was from a magazine article you had read, when your personal experience is that there isn't a problem.

You appear to be trying to start a campaign to make them allow you to do something that they were allowing you to do anyway.

And just for clarity they can't be in the wrong. They are a private business who can do what they like. They are under no obligation to sell anything to anybody if they don't want to. The guidelines are just that: advice on how to sell the product should they choose to do so. If, due mainly to your actions in contacting them, they decide to enforce their ban, which was probably forgotten in a filing cabinet somewhere until you reminded them, then that's their business. Buy it somewhere else.
As previously mentioned we are out and about off grid most of the year and sometimes a 50 mile round trip to fill up and really don't want a wasted trip.
Perhaps it is a campaign ! Morrisons have started to refuse motorhomers and how long before others follow suit as is normally the case. LPG stations are sparse to start with without the loss of large chains.
Trying to blame me for reminding them is school yard behaviour, this forum is for motorhome owners to share help and tips not turn something into a witch hunt!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
But, not selling to motorhomes if that is their policy is their policy, if you mount a serious campaign to reverse policy my guess is you can expect even stronger reinforcement of their current position in the meantime.

What they'll most likely do is remove the headache completely by just getting rid of LPG from all of their petrol stations. It won't be a big enough chunk of their business to make it worthwhile wasting much time on it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Morrisons have started to refuse motorhomers and how long before others follow suit as is normally the case.

Evidence other than the magazine article previously referenced please?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
On your stance are you suggesting we just ignore it bury our heads in the sand and wait until all outlets follow them and stop all motorhomes filling up?

There is no reason to suggest other outlets will follow, they react to problems and if we don't create problems there's nothing to stir them up, oh, apart from you.

You, probably, did the right thing but it has to be said it could result in totally opposite to what you wanted.

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
image.jpg
Evidence other than the magazine article previously referenced please?
Obviously you did not read the first post with email from Morrison !
But here it is again !
As a screen shot
image.jpg

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
There is no reason to suggest other outlets will follow, they react to problems and if we don't create problems there's nothing to stir them up, oh, apart from you.

You, probably, did the right thing but it has to be said it could result in totally opposite to what you wanted.
You may well be right ! But now they have clarified and confirmed the blanket ban I won't be going to fill up with either LPG nor diesel hitting them where it hurts.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
View attachment 69576
Obviously you did not read the first post with email from Morrison !
But here it is again !
As a screen shotView attachment 69575

Yes, that's their reply to your letter saying that they are going to enforce their ban now you've reminded them that they have it.

It isn't evidence that prior to this anyone has in practice actually been refused LPG at a Morrisons petrol station. In fact so far all the posts on this thread, including your own original one, are suggesting that in practice the ban, which isn't new, hasn't been enforced and nobody has ever had a problem at Morrisons.

Therefore my request stands: show me some evidence that anybody before today has actually been refused LPG at a Morrisons petrol station. I humbly suggest that if you can't do so it's because there isn't any, and if they start refusing people after today then it is as a direct result of you contacting them.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I was asked at one of my local filling stations what the gas is to be used for..
I explained it is to power my on board generator :rolleyes:
Oh, no problem sir

Well I did not lie..
The cooker DOES generate.. not electrikery but heat..

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
Yes, that's their reply to your letter saying that they are going to enforce their ban now you've reminded them that they have it.

It isn't evidence that prior to this anyone has in practice actually been refused LPG at a Morrisons petrol station. In fact so far all the posts on this thread, including your own original one, are suggesting that in practice the ban, which isn't new, hasn't been enforced and nobody has ever had a problem at Morrisons.

Therefore my request stands: show me some evidence that anybody before today has actually been refused LPG at a Morrisons petrol station. I humbly suggest that if you can't do so it's because there isn't any, and if they start refusing people after today then it is as a direct result of you contacting them.
Well slap my arse give me detention and don't forget the 100 lines !
"I must not phone anyone to clarify something that may affect my traveling plans"
What system do you have ? Tank or refillable bottles ?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You may well be right ! But now they have clarified and confirmed the blanket ban I won't be going to fill up with either LPG nor diesel hitting them where it hurts.
I think that is their intention I dont think they want this kind of trade.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
hitting them where it hurts.

You are very noble but what the whole of FUN spends at Morrisons in a week is nothing. We are tiny minority group, bit like bikers. Now many filling stations have notices "Bikers remove your helmet" we ignore it and everyone is happy.

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
Nice
I was asked at one of my local filling stations what the gas is to be used for..
Oh, no problem sir

Well I did not lie..
Nice one

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Oh, no problem sir

Well I did not lie..

Technically they might have been trying to save you money, if used solely for cooking / heating it should only have 5% VAT, the garage outlets do not have the ability to adjust the VAT part, my local FloGas outlet only charges me 5% VAT :)

more likely they were looking for a reason not to serve you though (y)

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Must remember to squeeze a bit more than the 95% I usually get into my calor bottle in case they refuse me soon !
Wonder will the old faithful eBay contraption withstand the pressure ?
A full spare bottle up on the roof too, wonder will the heat blow it.
Bombs anyone ? :whistle:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What system do you have ? Tank or refillable bottles ?

Gaslow. I've never not been able to fill it up but if I ever am refused anywhere that's fine, I'll just go somewhere else.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
Must remember to squeeze a bit more than the 95% I usually get into my calor bottle in case they refuse me soon !
Wonder will the old faithful eBay contraption withstand the pressure ?
A full spare bottle up on the roof too, wonder will the heat blow it.
Bombs anyone ? :whistle:

Oh dear, you mentioned the B word. Somebody at GCHQ has just been woken up is now researching motorhomes and motorhome fun. :rofl:

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Thankfully the guy that fills mine doesn't have a problem, and yes mine is filled with an adaptor on a standard bottle. He fills over 100 a week.
I know for a fact that I won't have any future problems getting filled there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
Gaslow. I've never not been able to fill it up but if I ever am refused anywhere that's fine, I'll just go somewhere else.
Just to clear something up, the problem I see with the blanket ban is this. In the email sent to me that looks like a copy and paste response they quote "industry guidelines" however those guidelines state it is permitable to fill motorhomes for domestic use. Yet they do not abide by the guidelines. As I understand it the only valid time to refuse is if the locker door is open to refill.
One concern is this, now we are aware of the blanket ban even though it is not enforced at all locations in the very unlikely event of a mishap could we be held jointly liable for any damage/injury ?
On a different note have you seen the new lightweight gaslow bottles?

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I asked at a filling station near where I used to live if they could do 5% VAT and produced a letter from HMRC that said it was possible. Now that garage will not turn the pump on for a Motorhome. Managers instruction to staff. It is not group policy and I received a letter confirming this from head office. His loss I go elsewhere.

I did the same thing at Grizebeck and the garage owner has a copy of the HMRC the letter pinned up for all to see. I have been filling up there now for 3 years when in the area, however the difference between his rural prices and that of other stations means there is probably little or no saving over an urban garage at 20% VAT. However because he will do it, I am prepared to give him the trade. Incidentally the next nearest is a Morrisons in Barrow in Furness.

Like the OP I full time and have only been refused 3 times in 9 year. France 1 Italy 1 and UK 1. I use about 1,100 litres of Autogas per year for domestic use, including an on-board generator.

I also know a garage that permits the filling of standard cylinders without a turn of a hair, even the big 47kg ones.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back