Morocco - would this work? (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Guys
Planning a trip to Morocco, leaving just after Christmas 2015 and returning by 24th January 2016
Assuming I can drive from Calais to Aljesiras in 5 days and the same on the return journey, this would give us about 14 days in Morocco

Would 14 days be long enough?

What are the main places and sites we should try and see?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Robert

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
You can do it but I personly don't think you would enjoy it much
You would need 2 days to get from tangers to agider
I personly would not consider any less than a month in moroc
We did 2 months and still missed about half of what we had planned
So we are going back this year in December and staying till end of March

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
First trip we did a month
Second trip we did 6 weeks.
Next time will be longer.

I would consider a month as a minimum once in Morocco...
It's a lot of driving all down there and back for just 2 weeks. !!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
First trip we did a month
Second trip we did 6 weeks.
Next time will be longer.

I would consider a month as a minimum once in Morocco...
It's a lot of driving all down there and back for just 2 weeks. !!!!
Maybe we could just do southern Spain?
Just fancied a bit of winter sun

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I take on board what the above folks have said, but their comments are may be based on seeing a lot of the country.
May be if the OP just explored some of the north/north west of the country then 2 weeks would be enough to give them a flavour of the country and perhaps wet thier appetite to go back for a longer period next time

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
we spent 6 weeks there, and it was barely enough time to scratch the surface.. so would also say that it is not enough time and most of it will be spent driving with little time for sightseeing/relaxing.. and it's not exactly a cheap trip.

have you considered a cheap flight somewhere and self catering.. Morocco or perhaps the Canaries ?
could work out cheaper and a better holiday

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
@Robert Clark I know exactly where you're coming from.. flying and hotels are not my think either..

If you want some guaranteed winter sun you would need to go further south into Morocco, well down the coast to Agider as the weather in the north would be little better than southern Spain.. which isn't that great in January .. especially west of Gib which gets a lot of Atlantic wind and rain..

In my experience the best winter weather in Spain is around Almeria .. it has the least rainfall.. Tabernas is where they filmed some of the spaghetti westerns, .. although I hear Beni is popular for winter sun.. ;)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
For the time of year on timescale.. My vote would be Benidorm / Costa Blanca area..
Save Morocco for when you have more time...
Our first trip in 2013 we left Spain in sunshine, landed to rain in North Morocco and had poor weather for the next 3-4 so not a good start weather wise..
2014, we were a little more prepared and headed south straight away. Still rain for the first few days..

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
May be if the OP just explored some of the north/north west of the country then 2 weeks would be enough to give them a flavour of the country

Not really, the north is rapidly becoming Europe, you need to be south of Marrakesh for the Moroccan experience and weather.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I know that you don't want to stay in hotels. An alternative would be to fly to Agadir, hire a 4x4 and tour using campsites. Nearly every one has a number of bedouin type tents with basic stuff in them. The 4x4 (very common in Morocco) would allow you to travel pistes that campingcarists can only dream of.

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi Guys
Planning a trip to Morocco, leaving just after Christmas 2015 and returning by 24th January 2016
Assuming I can drive from Calais to Aljesiras in 5 days and the same on the return journey, this would give us about 14 days in Morocco

Would 14 days be long enough?

What are the main places and sites we should try and see?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Robert

We went 3 or 4 years ago for 3 weeks including travelling from Calais. Bits of it were a long slog (Calais to Algeciras in 2 1/2 days) but still enjoyed it.

Would be great to have longer but with son at school and limited time off work you either have to rush round a bit or wait 20 years until you retire.

While in Morocco we stated at Chefchouan, Fez, Merzouga, Marrakesh, Agadir, Essouria, plus some other places I can't remember the name of.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back