Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
hi Linda and i were doing a bit of research for our trip to morocco in September when we realised that Ramadan in 2008 starts September 1st through to
October 31st.
now a big thing for us is eating out and experiencing new dishes etc. in the rough guide to morocco it states that in some respects this is an unsatisfactory time to travel and tour the country.
i wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this ?
mark.

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
Hi Mark.......

Many [most] who have experienced visiting Morocco during Ramadan have in fact thought it was the best time to go……for a number of reasons I agree.

Research “Ramadan” properly and you will find more fact that fiction. The country does NOT shut down for the duration of the festival and the population dose not starve!

In fact the time after sunset and into the evening is a vibrant and exciting time to be in towns and cities……cafes and restaurants will be open and full…….And if you make the effort the time with locals before sunrise is very special..

Having said that, some establishments take to opportunity to close and referb for the duration, but again hardly a problem. Also, many roadside and cafes will be closed during the day …… only a slight inconvenience.

As a visitor some respect is due……. and I would hope be observed…… on matters such as drinking of alcohol.

So, on balance to visit Morocco and immerse yourself during this special month is an added attraction I believe

Ray

PS. I sent out the first “Fact Sheet”, re the Sept RVF tour, just before Xmas……and asked those going if they could confirm receipt [so that we can keep you up to date and informed ]…………only one person replied!!!

PPS………Off to Morocco tomorrow on first’08 tour [and each month ‘till May] but I can/will have questions forwarded from the office……So if you have any, ask!

OP
OP
thefman

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
thanks for the reply ray, i agree it does look an interesting time to visit.
i have read the facts that you state and it does state that respect for Ramadan should be observed interestingly a strong point was made about smoking in public.
glad Ive packed in:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
No probs Mark......Your question was a good and very valid one. Like much else there is a load of myth and miss-information out there, if in doubt or worried just ask. It helps us also, as if you ask a question and we don't know the answer, we find out!!

We ourselves never forget that a big "fun" part of a tour like this is your own reserch, planning and prep. So keep the questions coming....It is not a problem.

All I would ask is that members confirm receipt of our info sheets/packs as they often contain vital and/or important info....The last one gave meeting locations and schedual. Also plans for the pre-trip "fiesta".........so we need to know they were received and get any feed-back....

Ray......From a bright, sunny and warm Southern Spain [and soon a warmer Morocco].......It's the day after "Three Kings" here, so yet another public holiday tomorrow!!!!

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
We goto Turkey a lot and have been many times during Ramadan. It really is no big deal and a great time to go. The only downside we found was the men walking round at 4.30 every morning beating the living daylights out of a BIG BASS DRUM :Eeek: to wake everyone for breakfast before the sun came up. And im not joking!!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I'm sure the majority who are interested have looked it up, for those that have not Ramadam as i understand it is a period whereby eating is forbidden between the hrs of sunrise and sunset, combined with the no drinking and public no smoking rules, what a good time to start a diet or give up alcohol and ciggies
perhaps we should re name the trip
Desert Detox Tours:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
now a big thing for us is eating out and experiencing new dishes etc. in the rough guide to morocco it states that in some respects this is an unsatisfactory time to travel and tour the country.

Hi Mark..
I hope your not disappointed, the food we tried in Morocco was far from haute cuisine, if you like coos coos and lamb or coos coos and chicken or coos coos and ... well you get the idea .. I'm sure we were just unlucky with our choice of eateries and there are no doubt restaurants of international standards.. but there aint many of them in the desert .. One good thing though, you won't see any Mac Donalds or Pizza Huts :roflmto::roflmto: better packing the Remoska :winky:

Jim

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
Nice one Geo........Like it!

As I say Jim, things change in Morocco all the time.....There is now a Big Mac withing 25k on entering Morocco, at Tetuane......In fact I think there are now over 25 units nation wide as well as Pizza-Hut etc etc.....Ahhhhhhhh.

It is interesting that we will be over there during Ramadan......and I think a plus. It can have as much effect as you wish.......

Ray

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Ray

Well, I'm glad I missed them and the DD tour is in the REAL Morocco :winky:

BTW, I wasn't knocking Moroccan fayre, if the tour were going to Scotland I'd say avoid Scottish food like the plague .. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: unless you like deep fried everything.. :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back