Morocco for Xmas (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Any one got any plans to be in Morocco December this year.
Any idea of cost to get a motorhome over there from Spain?

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Have a look on line FRS operate from Algeciras, I would always travel thru Tangier Med, no masses trying to get over the border, very civilised compared to Ceuta.

just looked 365 Euros

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Most Funsters go over in January/February. look at the threads on Morocco all on TerryL thread

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
try viajes normandie .they were always best prices when i was going over to maroc .
actually knew juan carlos before he set the name voyages normandie .
his whole family are a great bunch .
best to go about first week in december . as late march and april can be very sandstormy over there as the spring tides and winds go by. .
mind atlantic side on europe and uk etc will be hit by the september swells and wind soon.
have a good time .

Attachments

• img107.jpg
    img107.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 38

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Lots of Morocco threads to read up on and will give you loads of info..
Morocco 2013, 2014,2015,2016,etc etc.. (y)

Work on €200 -220 for an open return crossing.
Insurance/ green card seems to be the big issue at present, so check that out first.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
might be that your insurers are really a gibraltar based company .
might be worth dropping in to see them.
they sometimes let you have morocco free if you drop in.
very often spanish and gib give their local customers morocco as part of their normal policy. after all years ago you had to go to maroc to go or leave gibraltar.when spain closed the border.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
You can buy Insurance at the border but it is only third party, done that a few times.
If you want a Sat Nav have a look at OSMAnd, it has maps for Morocco down to Street level, it runs on a smartphone or tablet and used to be free. If you wanted to download more than 10 maps you had to pay for it, used to be £2.50.
They have maps for the whole world. It does do turn by turn voice directions.

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Most Funsters go over in January/February. look at the threads on Morocco all on TerryL thread
Would love to go with other Funsters. So they could lead the way as it would be our first time. We would want to go no later than mid Jan as Motorhome is due MOT mid March so need to be back in UK by then.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Would love to go with other Funsters. So they could lead the way as it would be our first time. We would want to go no later than mid Jan as Motorhome is due MOT mid March so need to be back in UK by then.
I would get it mot'd first, then you will be free to go as you please.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It's a little early yet but there will be a Morocco 2020 thread so keep an eye open for it. It'll be a place, firstly to provide info and let potential travellers tell of their plans etc.

Later it will act as a communications conduit for those who have taken the plunge, letting folk update on current conditions, places to see or avoid, ask for and give advice etc.

Going with someone else the first time is a good idea if you're slightly nervous but, as many will agree, it's not difficult and no harder than your first crossing of the English Channel. Agree with Jon, get it tested before you go - okay you lose a couple of months but you then have the comfort of knowing all is well and no restraints if you decide you want to stay longer - as you probably will!

Our current plans are to cross at the end of January but there are a few things we need to get sorted before we can confirm.

biglamin

Free Member
Oct 26, 2016
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
looking forward to the 2020 details. Please let us know if anyone is going over in December/early Jan as we'd like to tag along with someone "in the know"

Setting off to Portugal late October. First time for this as well but I'm not as nervous!

May 16, 2019
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Caravan Owner
Exp
Caravan since 1984
We are planning to leave UK around the middle to end of January putting us in Morocco in early Feb. We will be crossing from Tarifa to Tanger Ville and plan to spend about 2 months touring. We did the same trip last year at the end of Nov but only had just under 4 weeks which was too short. However, as I said in my intro, I am a bit of an imposter as we tow a caravan. Will keep an eye open for the Morocco 2020 thread and hope to meet some of you as we go round. Not difficult to spot as we only saw one other caravan last time and that was at the very end of our trip.

Bob

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
We are planning to leave UK around the middle to end of January putting us in Morocco in early Feb. We will be crossing from Tarifa to Tanger Ville and plan to spend about 2 months touring. We did the same trip last year at the end of Nov but only had just under 4 weeks which was too short. However, as I said in my intro, I am a bit of an imposter as we tow a caravan. Will keep an eye open for the Morocco 2020 thread and hope to meet some of you as we go round. Not difficult to spot as we only saw one other caravan last time and that was at the very end of our trip.

Bob
Nothing against caravans. Timing is a bit late for us but dont mind cutting it short. It just so we can go with an old hand

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Nothing against caravans. Timing is a bit late for us but dont mind cutting it short. It just so we can go with an old hand
Tarifa tanger ville is our preferred crossing but just be careful of height, the front of the vehicle deck is significantly lower than the back.

May 16, 2019
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Caravan Owner
Exp
Caravan since 1984
Agree with Jongood about the ferry. We are only 2.6m high so don’t have a problem although grounded on the ramp up to the ferry - a caravan problem not a motorhome one!

Don’t wait for us, we are notoriously bad at planning and wing it most of the time. I am sure that you will find many ‘old moroccan hands’ on this forum that will be much more informed than us. However, I have 3 very long emails that I sent to a caravaner, who is thinking of doing the same trip, about our experience which I would be happy to send to you off-grid or post on this forum.

I think that my main message would be - go for it. If you read all the blogs, forums and reviews, you could be quite put off. We hesitated in Tarifa for a week before setting off but finally went for it with a Michelin road map, a french campsite book with excellent lat and long directions, a satnav that gave up the ghost as we left Tarifa and a 1993 Lonely Planet guide that we found in a second hand bookshop in Gibraltar! We had no real plan but made it up as we went along. Really glad we did - stunning scenery and a great adventure. I did have all the requisite paperwork with me just in case!!

Bob

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
The winter weather is much nicer here in the Canaries :)

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Going to start a 2020 Morocco thread. Really dont want to do the trip on my own. Also have loads to ask just in case

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
We are thinking, 27th December, ferry to Santander and then drive to Gibraltar area & take ferry to Morocco around 5th January for up to 6 weeks.
is it the right/good time to visit Morocco for the first time?

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
We are thinking, 27th December, ferry to Santander and then drive to Gibraltar area & take ferry to Morocco around 5th January for up to 6 weeks.
is it the right/good time to visit Morocco for the first time?
Dont know if it's a good time or not. But its perfect for us. It would be our first time as well. So the blind leading the blind. Could be fun?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Normally I would have said you'll be okay weather-wise in January, but this year the rainy season seemed to extend until almost the end of January.

But if you keep going south, and maybe away from the coast, you're bound to find better.

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Normally I would have said you'll be okay weather-wise in January, but this year the rainy season seemed to extend until almost the end of January.

But if you keep going south, and maybe away from the coast, you're bound to find better.
Are you talking about long term forecast or the weather in 2019.
Also when you say south it's one of the questions I was going to ask how far south do people go. Are you missing much by staying away from the coast?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Talking about January 2019 - we crossed to Morocco very end of January to find it had only just stopped raining and up to then the weather had been pretty poor for most of at least the northern half of the country.

As regards how far south, we've had rain in Marrakesh but it's also been b----y hot! The coast doesn't have much in the way of things to see, and is liable to be windy at any time of the year but we have in the past gone that way as an easy way to get to the sun, which is the main reason we go. As a rough guide, south of the Atlas Mountains you're more likely to get the better weather. South of Safi and down to Agadir (for some reason popular with cruise ships but not really Morocco) is where we expect to start getting the best.

I've never admitted to being any kind of tour guide so I won't do any recommendations, however an evening perusing the various Morocco threads will give you lots of ideas.

Also the new MotorhomeFun magazine, being launched by Jim at the NEC will have a comprehensive article including things you need to know and suggestions for routes, places to visit etc.

As you have started a Morocco 2000 thread I'd suggest you ask on there as many of the "old hands" will keep a watch on it and can give you much better advice than me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back