Morocco 2020 (3 Viewers)

Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Right want to go to Morocco. But a little worried as we are relatively new to Motorhome life. We bought ours and straight headed for Spain comfort zone.
Now thinking planning the next leg. Already reading up on previous posts and an article in resources
At present we are in Tarifa and will be on the South coast of Spain till at least New Year.
So want to plan a trip over to Morocco late Dec early Jan.
As I have said in a previous post we would go any time but van has to be back in UK March for an MoT.
Really just staring this thread so the more seasoned travellers may join in and I could just follow their posts
rob

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Still a bit early IMO but you have made a good start by reading previous threads on Morocco and other members will be along soon to add to your post. We now have many seasoned travellers to Morocco and many of them will gladly steer you in the right direction and assist you with your first crossing and advise you where to go , local customs etc., etc., We are not going this winter as we are planning to visit Greece next Spring but already looking forward to returning again in the future. If your A Class has a Fiat engine you may want to consider getting a service done by Fiat at Agadir and save a shed load of money using proper Fiat trained mechanics and genuine parts !
As an aside, I have produced an article for Jim which is going into the October magazine and Jim has said he will release the article to members after the magazine is published. It should be of great help to first time visitors to Morocco as it contains information on the entry procedures (produced by TerryL ) and I have produced pictures of recommended places to visit with some simple route maps.

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Still a bit early IMO but you have made a good start by reading previous threads on Morocco and other members will be along soon to add to your post. We now have many seasoned travellers to Morocco and many of them will gladly steer you in the right direction and assist you with your first crossing and advise you where to go , local customs etc., etc., We are not going this winter as we are planning to visit Greece next Spring but already looking forward to returning again in the future. If your A Class has a Fiat engine you may want to consider getting a service done by Fiat at Agadir and save a shed load of money using proper Fiat trained mechanics and genuine parts !
As an aside, I have produced an article for Jim which is going into the October magazine and Jim has said he will release the article to members after the magazine is published. It should be of great help to first time visitors to Morocco as it contains information on the entry procedures (produced by TerryL ) and I have produced pictures of recommended places to visit with some simple route maps.
Sorry if it's a bit early. But with being new the idea of visiting Morocco. Just want to make sure all the i are dotted and t,s crossed. It's just me
As for service it's a Mercedes chassis. What mag may your article be in or when will it be on this site

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
As for service it's a Mercedes chassis. What mag may your article be in or when will it be on this site
Jim is producing a Magazine which will be launched at the N.E.C. show. As for when it will be available here that is down to Jim but he has told me it will be available after the Magazine has been released. TerryL article is already available in the resources section. My article contains to much data to load onto this site from my end.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi Innkeeper and thanks for getting the thread started. Still a bit early but don't worry about it. I was going to get it started when I get back from our current sojourn in Ireland.

Never thought about doing Tarifa/Tangers Ville crossing - in fact I wasn't aware there was a vehicle ferry, thought it was just passenger, but there you go, each day is an education. Perhaps jongood could give us some more info such as cost, frequency of ferries, length of trip etc?

There isn't anything you need sort at this stage unless you're travelling with a dog. Going outside the EU there are different regs to returning i.e. you need to get your pooch a rabies jab then a proper blood test - vets know what is needed. Things may change after Brexit but we'll have to wait on that. Plenty discussion on Morocco 2019 thread for anyone who wants to know more.

We won't be crossing over until late January but look forward to spotting an intrepid caravanner - have seen a few but most definitely in a small minority!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Check your insurance too as you may need a green card....

May 16, 2019
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Caravan Owner
Exp
Caravan since 1984
Hi Innkeeper and thanks for getting the thread started. Still a bit early but don't worry about it. I was going to get it started when I get back from our current sojourn in Ireland.

Never thought about doing Tarifa/Tangers Ville crossing - in fact I wasn't aware there was a vehicle ferry, thought it was just passenger, but there you go, each day is an education. Perhaps jongood could give us some more info such as cost, frequency of ferries, length of trip etc?

There isn't anything you need sort at this stage unless you're travelling with a dog. Going outside the EU there are different regs to returning i.e. you need to get your pooch a rabies jab then a proper blood test - vets know what is needed. Things may change after Brexit but we'll have to wait on that. Plenty discussion on Morocco 2019 thread for anyone who wants to know more.

We won't be crossing over until late January but look forward to spotting an intrepid caravanner - have seen a few but most definitely in a small minority!
Thanks TerryL. We are not difficult to spot - 2 well past retirement age with a Santa Fe towing a smallish ‘left hand drive’ Fendt caravan. Please come across if you see us on a campsite - always a glass of red grape juice available - or toot if you see us on the road. Should be in Morocco around early Feb. Bob

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

We ve used Tarifa-Tanger Ville twice now, its a much quicker nicer crossing than Algeciras-Tanger med, barely time to get your passports done, and its a much smarter catermaran.

The cost and timings are pretty similar to The other crossings and still has 'gaps' at not so busy times. Be aware Innkeeper that we tried to book at the FRS office in Tarifa and the costs were ridiculous so we ended up driving across to Carlos's to get the regular 200/220 eur deal.

Beware though its not a big boat and as its a cat you drive in the rear up to the front and back on yourself. It is high enough for a Coach at the entrance but anyone over 2.7m ???? ish has to turn around in the entrance which is not that big. IMO it would be a bit interesting if 10 larger MH's and a couple of coaches turned up

The other downside is that Tanger Ville is in the City, its not the same as wandering out of Tanger Med straight onto the Motorway.

Last year was our first time back on the Acciona boat with TerryL and I was reminded just how grim it is and then how unreliable it is. I think when we go again I will look again at booking online with FRS to Tanger Med as its a nicer boat and supposed to be more reliable according to our new Moroccan customs friend we spent most of the day with waiting for Acciona.

hth
Jon
Just to avoid confusion, whatever happens you will still need a greencard/insurance for Morocco for your motorhome and scooter etc,

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
First off thanks for joining in the thread.
Yep we have a pooch it has all its jabs and passport sorted. She also has had a tetter test and has the paper work but we will check with a vet here (Tarifa) next time we pass one.
Looked at google maps and Tanger Med looks an easier place to drive out off. What's it like driving out of both ports.
As for Green Card will ring insurance. Is it worth getting insurance there Morocco?
Will my normal UK license do? Read some where about an international driving licence.
There will be loads more to ask but this is a start

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
There are a few video in this series taken on our 2014 trip. Worth a look to give you a flavour. ?
Thanks. How do I find the other vids.
When you get out of the port is it a bit like coming out of Bilbao or Santander it's just one time we went over as foot passengers Tarifa to Tangiers and all I can remember of the roads was a being in a taxi in the middle of a city and just shacking my head saying never would I do that. There where vehicles all sizes every where

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks. How do I find the other vids.
When you get out of the port is it a bit like coming out of Bilbao or Santander it's just one time we went over as foot passengers Tarifa to Tangiers and all I can remember of the roads was a being in a taxi in the middle of a city and just shacking my head saying never would I do that. There where vehicles all sizes every where

The poster on YouTube was Andrew Manson, Mr motorhome on fun. Sadly no longer with us. RIP Andrew.
Search his name and you should find the others.
Tangier med is very easy, straight out onto a main rd and onto the motorway in a very short time.

May 16, 2019
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Caravan Owner
Exp
Caravan since 1984
We ve used Tarifa-Tanger Ville twice now, its a much quicker nicer crossing than Algeciras-Tanger med, barely time to get your passports done, and its a much smarter catermaran.

The cost and timings are pretty similar to The other crossings and still has 'gaps' at not so busy times. Be aware Innkeeper that we tried to book at the FRS office in Tarifa and the costs were ridiculous so we ended up driving across to Carlos's to get the regular 200/220 eur deal.

Beware though its not a big boat and as its a cat you drive in the rear up to the front and back on yourself. It is high enough for a Coach at the entrance but anyone over 2.7m ???? ish has to turn around in the entrance which is not that big. IMO it would be a bit interesting if 10 larger MH's and a couple of coaches turned up

The other downside is that Tanger Ville is in the City, its not the same as wandering out of Tanger Med straight onto the Motorway.

Last year was our first time back on the Acciona boat with TerryL and I was reminded just how grim it is and then how unreliable it is. I think when we go again I will look again at booking online with FRS to Tanger Med as its a nicer boat and supposed to be more reliable according to our new Moroccan customs friend we spent most of the day with waiting for Acciona.

hth
Jon
Just to avoid confusion, whatever happens you will still need a greencard/insurance for Morocco for your motorhome and scooter etc,
We booked our ticket through a campsite and paid €230 for an open end return. Perhaps we were lucky but the procedures at Tanger Ville port were very easy and done with a lot of smiles and good will and we were on our way within 30 mins. Our first stop was Asilah so getting out of Tanger was not too difficult. The main road out is well signed and is about 3 lanes wide. Driving a bit creative especially the minibuses who appear to be a law unto themselves but all doable. If you go that way, there is a large Shell station on the outskirts with an ATM

May 16, 2019
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Caravan Owner
Exp
Caravan since 1984
We booked our ticket through a campsite and paid €230 for an open end return. Perhaps we were lucky but the procedures at Tanger Ville port were very easy and done with a lot of smiles and good will and we were on our way within 30 mins. Our first stop was Asilah so getting out of Tanger was not too difficult. The main road out is well signed and is about 3 lanes wide. Driving a bit creative especially the minibuses who appear to be a law unto themselves but all doable. If you go that way, there is a large Shell station on the outskirts with an ATM
Sorry, iPhone finger trouble. Should have read .....with an ATM which saves having to use one of the money changers at the port.

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Right hit our first problem. Rung insurance on a different matter but asked about Morocco and they said sorry we dont cover Morocco. So can I get and more to the point is it allowed to get insurance from someone else for the time where there.
In the mean time had a drink by the ferry port
20190923_155735.jpg
20190923_161957.jpg
20190923_162004.jpg

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Best deal atm is Saga.

Terminate existing and re-insure, thats what we did with the Scooter this year.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Unfortunately a number of insurance companies have stopped providing cover for Morocco and, with a couple of special exceptions, those that do are now charging a ridiculous amount for the Green Card. This has all been covered in a separate thread - sorry can't find it but someone will provide a link - so won't clutter up this thread except to say you could actually buy insurance when you get across (there's an insurance office before you leave the port) but it's 3rd party only, no idea how good it is and will probably cost more than UK companies charge. Your decision but not my recommendation.

As regards which crossing/company I agree that Acciona last time were, shall we say substandard, but to put a bit of fairness into it the problems were with the return journey when ALL the ferries suspended service (for almost a week!) due to bad weather. We got the last one out...........................! All reported in the 2019 thread. However I will be checking with Carlos later in the year and will bring this up.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Saga and Comfort both provide Green Cards for Morocco, but Comfort charge £30 per for it.

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Has any one used the insurance available at the port

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
The only Funsters I know who have is Robert and Phylis (formerly Fat Bob) on their first trip. I haven't heard of them for sometime, so don't know if they are still on this forum to ask.
Has any one used the insurance available at the port

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Hi,We've not used the insurance at the port and haven't any knowledge of it.But have heard that you can get insurance in Gibraltar as you are near to that it might be an idea to try that route and if you are successful mention that there may be more business for then.By the way we paid about £260 extra last year through Aviva.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
As regards which crossing/company I agree that Acciona last time were, shall we say substandard, but to put a bit of fairness into it the problems were with the return journey when ALL the ferries suspended service (for almost a week!) due to bad weather. We got the last one out...........................! All reported in the 2019 thread. However I will be checking with Carlos later in the year and will bring this up.

I am pretty convinced tha Acciona rarely run the midday boats Terry, ours was certainly nothing to do with weather, as we sat there watching the Frs boats arrive and leave

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
We're planning on heading to Morocco as part of our 1st motorhome adventure next year so I will be following this thread with interest.

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
We're planning on heading to Morocco as part of our 1st motorhome adventure next year so I will be following this thread with interest.
When you say next year when next year?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back