Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
My good lady really wants us to go across to Morocco next February during our winter visit to Spain and whilst l'm up for the challenge l still have reservations around personal safety, facilities and the quality of food. Certainly the Gov. UK web page isn't very encouraging but l am aware from the vast array of postings on MF that many of you feel quite happy over there. So without any generalised comments can l seek your opinions and advice please?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
My good lady really wants us to go across to Morocco next February during our winter visit to Spain and whilst l'm up for the challenge l still have reservations around personal safety, facilities and the quality of food. Certainly the Gov. UK web page isn't very encouraging but l am aware from the vast array of postings on MF that many of you feel quite happy over there. So without any generalised comments can l seek your opinions and advice please?
You have answered your question I think. I would say around 9/10 who venture into Moroc return and/or swear they loved their visit. There are the odd few and one's in this membership who do not like Moroc and will post their views which can and probably does deter first time visitors. My advice is simple. Have a read of the 2016 Moroco visit and If you still have reservations, don't go.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/morocco-2016.114428/page-45

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp

Personal Safety - as always act with common sense but generally we feel safer than at home. It's a police state and they crack down hard on criminal activity, especially where it affects foreigners. We've found the police (always immaculate, unlike everybody else!) to be friendly, helpful and respectful as long as you respect them too. Don't take too much notice of the FO website - if you compare they say the same things about Spain!

Facilities - if campsite facilities are important to you, forget it. There are nice campsites but they are well spread out and almost always crammed full. As long as you are happy using your own facilities you'll be fine, just don't expect Caravan Club standards! Many prefer to use "guardian camping" which is somewhere between wild camping and a CL/CS type site. In our opinion, though, Morocco is much nicer away from the main cities.

Food - if you must, there are good supermarkets, some of a very high standard (they're generally French). But the real adventure is using the markets and souks where you'll find the freshest and tastiest ingredients as well as being very cheap. Restaurants are usually very good too and reasonably priced, many offering an international cuisine if you must. Buy fish "off the boat" - not our scene but many on here would practically die for it!

"Morocco 2016" is probably the best of the several annual threads as Phil says. Also download my article "Taking a Motorhome to Morocco" from the Resources section (dark blue bar top of the page) which will probably answer all your questions'; if not ask away here. Quite a few Funsters go every year and I'm sure would be happy to have you tag along, at least for the crossing and going through Customs & Immigration (which is no more difficult than any other border crossing but maybe takes a wee bit longer!). If you decide to go, just post when and someone will probably respond. We intend to cross (from Algeciras) on or about 29 January if it helps.

Thinks - I seem to write this post every year....................:nod::nod::nod:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
From our favourite spot down in the desert. 70dh anight (about a fiver) including electric and full use of the hotel facilities including showers and toilets.
Bit of a trek to the town for supplies but give the lads a shopping list they will go off in the Landrover and get it for you.
5AAE6641-8457-4DC8-85E6-CCD6C47E56D3.jpeg

F8AD6712-630F-48EC-8DB3-7A7D2B2C0CD0.jpeg

8FB9068E-2E69-44D7-89AE-51D48C8B35A3.jpeg

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
From our favourite spot down in the desert. 70dh anight (about a fiver) including electric and full use of the hotel facilities including showers and toilets.
Bit of a trek to the town for supplies but give the lads a shopping list they will go off in the Landrover and get it for you.
View attachment 270552

View attachment 270551

View attachment 270553
Where is it ??,

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I recognise that as the Auberge Tomboctou Phil which is on the road South of Merzouga.
We stayed there one night but preferred the Auberge Cafe du Sud which is North of Merzouga and quite remote which we liked.
http://www.aubergedusud.com/merzouga/
Coords for Auberge du Sud
N31deg 12.629'
W04deg 01.427'
If coming from the North on the N13 your satnav will probably take you down a particularly rough stretch of piste road that will shake the fillings out of your teeth. There is a very tall phone mast on the left close to this turning. You can see the phone mast when parked up at the Auberge so Internet signal is perfect.
If you don't mind driving about 10km further the more comfortable way is to drive almost to Merzouga and turn left just as you approach the village at N31deg 08.379' W04deg 01.930'.
Follow this (slightly) less rough gravel Piste road until you come to a turning on your right at N31deg 12.494. W04deg 02.159' it's about half a mile along a dirt track.
Set each of these coordinates as waypoints in your satnav and you should be OK.
If you get lost, just flag down anybody you see and they will be able to direct you.
The electric at the Auberge is provided by a generator which is switched off in the afternoon. There is only one electric supply socket so if there are any other mohos there you will have to share (you will need one of those multi output adaptors).
Last time we were there we were the only moho for 2 weeks. We loved the peace and quiet and the hotel staff are lovely and will do anything for you including shopping in Merzouga so you dont have to upsticks for supplies.
They do a lot of camel trips, 4x4 trips and nights in Berber tents in the desert so most hotel guests are out during the day and you have the pool virtually to yourself.
The restaurant is quite decent and they do a buffet a couple of times a week which is particularly good. The waiters get their drums out in the evening after dinner to provide entertainment.
http://www.aubergedusud.com/merzouga/

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I put the coordinates of each of the turn points because its so easy to get disorientated when its just sand all around

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
He offered me by email, 200 Euro for open return, so I suspect you may get the same.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
All the tickets are ‘open return ‘ but remember they only take cash!!!!, the supermarket has a cash machine......if travelling early January remember that Spain closes for 3 kings day .

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Question ! Will fuel stations be open in Spain on 1st January. I think they will but need to check so I can plan my refuelling.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back