TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Lovely Pictures, thanks for posting, us newbies need to know all the ins & outs of planning and what to expect in Morocco. I envy your experience, wish someone would/could organise a Fun Rally Tour or Meet, I am sure it would be well supported, especially during the cold winter months.
Les

And for anyone else who's considering it for the first time -

Phil's link is a good example of what to expect. If you haven't already done so also download my resource about taking a motorhome to Morocco - it's still relevant.

Assuming I can get the Green Card situation sorted we plan to cross from Algeciras towards the end of January 2019. Be happy to have anyone tag along if they wished. Not a tour though I'm sure someone will "organise" a Meet somewhere (Tafraoute?).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We're thinking of crossing in late January. We're due at Campirama for an awning fitting on 14th Jan, then we'll be driving down to the south of Spain from Belgium. We think that we'll probably take about a week to drive down.
If our dates coincide, we'd like tag along, if you don't mind. :)
If not, no worries. We've done lots of research and read your very helpful document. We don't feel nervous. We just like to be sociable.(y)

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Hi all

We are thinking of Morocco this year and if we do would be looking to tag along with well versed Morocco experts until we are comfortable.
I have a couple of quick questions

My insurance company(NFU) gives a green card but only third party.
Blood test for dog to come back into Spain....Do you bother and just wave the dod passport
Breakdown cover not for Morocco

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Cancel info requested above re insurance. Now got quote from Comfort so will be taking renewal out with them.

Re the dog situation. Sam the dog has his dog passport and it was issued several years ago when it was required that the blood test was checked after the rabies jab and the stamp is in his passport confirming the readings.
What I am reading is that the Spanish authorities require the blood test to be carried out over 30 days prior to entry and that the rabies jab must have been administered within the last 12 mths .
In my case the dog blood test was done some 8 years ago although he has had the three yearly boosters since. So although for EU purposes he has the blood test(which is now no longer required) but several years ago. The last booster jab was two years ago. So would the dog need another booster prior to Morocco so that its within the 12th period?

Hope this is clear.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Cancel info requested above re insurance. Now got quote from Comfort so will be taking renewal out with them.

Re the dog situation. Sam the dog has his dog passport and it was issued several years ago when it was required that the blood test was checked after the rabies jab and the stamp is in his passport confirming the readings.
What I am reading is that the Spanish authorities require the blood test to be carried out over 30 days prior to entry and that the rabies jab must have been administered within the last 12 mths .
In my case the dog blood test was done some 8 years ago although he has had the three yearly boosters since. So although for EU purposes he has the blood test(which is now no longer required) but several years ago. The last booster jab was two years ago. So would the dog need another booster prior to Morocco so that its within the 12th period?

Hope this is clear.

Insurance - Care, Comfort currently charge what we all consider to be an extortionate fee for the Green Card, although I have to say the normal cover is very competitively priced (perhaps that's why). I'm looking at the possibility of changing although I don't really want to - a bit of phoning around next week.

Sam. As long as he has had the boosters and they are recorded in the Pet Passport my understanding is that he should be okay, maybe you should check with your vet though, ours is very good in that respect. In practice, nobody was ever interested in the dog, Morocco or Spain, on the two occasions we've taken him, although that's not to say they won't be in the future especially in view of the "B" word (which I don't think will actually make a ha'porth of difference!). The only check was the crossing back to the UK - they didn't appear to be bothered about the rabies check although it is in fact recorded in the PP.

That reminds me - the Pet Passport is full where the French vets sign to say he's fit to travel, need to get a new one. Plenty of room for the administering of the worming tablet but not for the health check! Stupid or what?

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Insurance - Care, Comfort currently charge what we all consider to be an extortionate fee for the Green Card, although I have to say the normal cover is very competitively priced (perhaps that's why). I'm looking at the possibility of changing although I don't really want to - a bit of phoning around next week.

Sam. As long as he has had the boosters and they are recorded in the Pet Passport my understanding is that he should be okay, maybe you should check with your vet though, ours is very good in that respect. In practice, nobody was ever interested in the dog, Morocco or Spain, on the two occasions we've taken him, although that's not to say they won't be in the future especially in view of the "B" word (which I don't think will actually make a ha'porth of difference!). The only check was the crossing back to the UK - they didn't appear to be bothered about the rabies check although it is in fact recorded in the PP.

That reminds me - the Pet Passport is full where the French vets sign to say he's fit to travel, need to get a new one. Plenty of room for the administering of the worming tablet but not for the health check! Stupid or what?
Hi Terry. I am with Comfort and was disappointed at the massive hike in the cost of the green card. I got a quote from Safeguard and that came in at almost double the cost of Comfort. The difference between the two means I can afford to stay with Comfort, pay for the green card and still have some change. My feelings are better the devil you know also I have always had good service from Comfort

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Hi Terry. I am with Comfort and was disappointed at the massive hike in the cost of the green card. I got a quote from Safeguard and that came in at almost double the cost of Comfort. The difference between the two means I can afford to stay with Comfort, pay for the green card and still have some change. My feelings are better the devil you know also I have always had good service from Comfort
Go back to them (safeguard) on the phone and say what you can get elsewhere e.g. Saga and see what transpires. I use them after a spat with Saga and find them very competitive. and willing to see what they can do, despite them being part of Swinton.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009

Thanks Terry

Re your position of 'Fit to travel' on PP.This is not needed when you are travelling with animal. It is where third parties have responsibility, ie dog transporters- unaccompanied flights. Like you vet has always completed. You will notice that there not many spaces compared to validation by vet when coming back to UK after worm table. I asked a vet about this and this is when he explained that it was not necessary. In fact A vet just used another page within the Passport and started a new entry and other vets carried on completing 'Fit to Travel. I have about 5 returns available in passport before new one. i have been quoted £90 just for a replacement passport without rabies jab.

On the Green card: Full comprehensive. Yes Comfort are charging £20 a week. Safeguard no longer issue for Morocco or Turkey stopped two months ago. So unless anybody can point me towards and insurance company that included European breakdown cover, unlimited windscreen cover for A class and Full Comprehensive green card for Morocco it looks like I will be changing to Comfort.

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Safeguard no longer issue for Morocco or Turkey stopped two months ago. So
That's strange,o_OI joined safeguard on a fulltime basis 6 weeks ago .Included full EU breakdown 365 days EU travel & a Green card.If I was you I'd phone again, You may get a different answer.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp

Yes I rather think that is going to be the case. Still, nothing ventured nothing gained.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
That's strange,o_OI joined safeguard on a fulltime basis 6 weeks ago .Included full EU breakdown 365 days EU travel & a Green card.If I was you I'd phone again, You may get a different answer.

Yes spoke with them first thing this morning and it was my first question to them before even getting a quote. Deferentially stated not issuing green card to Morocco or Turkey. It maybe policies running still have that but I was informed that Green Card for the two Countries withdrawn 2 months ago. I do not dispute your cover but they were adamant no longer available

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Are you sure the green card covers Morocco and not just Europe?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I think I forecast a couple of months ago that all the insurance companies would be charging for Green Card before long. Looks like I was right, Safeguard now, who's next?

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Yes I'm sure,i specifically mentioned Morroco when enquiring.
Well it could be you got in just before they changed their policy of cover. As mentioned, i was told '2 months ago' how exact that is from the operator who knows.
If your intention is to travel to Morocco perhaps consider reaffirming your cover.

Hope it works out

Reactions: kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yes spoke with them first thing this morning and it was my first question to them before even getting a quote. Deferentially stated not issuing green card to Morocco or Turkey. It maybe policies running still have that but I was informed that Green Card for the two Countries withdrawn 2 months ago. I do not dispute your cover but they were adamant no longer available
Oh ok.I will ring them again on Monday just to confirm we have it.I mentioned to them that we we're thinking of going to Morroco and their reply was " no problem,just let us know when you intend to go".Will post on Monday.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Just had confirmation from Comfort re cost green card
Over 6 weeks up to 90 days, £300 plus £20 admin. For trip up to 6 weeks, £200 plus £20 admin.
So a bit of an eye opener. Around the £25 per week range

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Here you go !

"Courier New"">Hello, I inform you:
c.car + 2 people
round trip
€ 200.00
Open ticket.

El 4 de noviembre de 2018 a las 20:08 Philip Tew <philipftew@gmail.com> escribió:

Hello,

We have used you before, (2015 & 2016) We are Funsters and are returning to Morocco early January 2019. How much for an open return ticket. 2 people and one motorhome under 7 meters.

Regards,

Philip.

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Just had confirmation from Comfort re cost green card
Over 6 weeks up to 90 days, £300 plus £20 admin. For trip up to 6 weeks, £200 plus £20 admin.
So a bit of an eye opener. Around the £25 per week range
Ouch, the cost seems to be going up by the day

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just got off the phone to safeguard.It appears the underwriters Alliance have been taken over by L.V who i was informed are not issuing green cards.However existing policyholders who took out their insurance with Alliance are covered for Turkey and Morroco .They did say that they would be bringing up the green card matter with their underwriters very soonas it could be an issue with future sales?.Their sending out our green card today .1st Jan to 14 Feb.:D:D.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Yes it looks like if you are wanting Morocco Comfort are cornering the market. As previously posted, other insurance companies who offered such GC are now withdrawing them. I have spent the morning shopping around re renewal and green card and as it stands Comfort are there or there about re annual insurance and the GC is what it is if we want to go to Morocco

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Just got off the phone to safeguard.It appears the underwriters Alliance have been taken over by L.V who i was informed are not issuing green cards.However existing policyholders who took out their insurance with Alliance are covered for Turkey and Morroco .They did say that they would be bringing up the green card matter with their underwriters very soonas it could be an issue with future sales?.Their sending out our green card today .1st Jan to 14 Feb.:D:D.
Good on you, by chance were you charged for the green card and is it fully comprehensive cover

Reactions: kip

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back