Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Morocco travel advice

Updated 1.30pm today

Terrorism
Terrorists are likely to try to carry out attacks in Morocco. You should be vigilant at all times.

Two foreign nationals were murdered while hiking near Mount Toubkal in December 2018. Moroccan authorities arrested 4 individuals in connection with the murders, including 1 they say had links to “an extremist group”, following the release on social media including Daesh affiliated media of a video apparently showing 1 of the murders.

The Moroccan authorities have warned of an increased threat linked to the number of Moroccans sympathetic or belonging to Daesh (formerly referred to as ISIL) and other extremist groups, and regularly report the disruption of terrorist cells across the country, some of which have intended to carry out attacks in Morocco against government installations, public spaces and tourist sites.

Attacks could be indiscriminate or target foreigners. In April 2011, 17 people were killed and 25 injured in a large explosion caused by a bomb in Marrakech at the Argana Restaurant in Djema el-Fna Square.

Protective security measures, including security personnel, may be visible in certain areas including hotels and sites popular with tourists.

There’s considered to be a heightened threat of terrorist attack globally against UK interests and British nationals, from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria. You should be vigilant at this time.

Kidnap
There is a threat of kidnapping by groups operating in North Africa, particularly from Libya, Mauritania and groups originating in the Sahel. This includes Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQ-IM) and Daesh-affiliated groups, who may travel across the region’s porous border. There is a heightened risk of kidnap in border and remote desert areas of North Africa. Terrorist groups have kidnapped foreigners, government officials and civilians in the region for financial gain and for political leverage. Further kidnaps are likely.

Those engaged in tourism, humanitarian aid work, journalism or business sectors are viewed as legitimate targets. If you’re kidnapped, the reason for your presence is unlikely to serve as a protection or secure your safe release.

The long-standing policy of the British government is not to make substantive concessions to hostage takers. The British government considers that paying ransoms and releasing prisoners increases the risk of further hostage taking. The Terrorism Act (2000) also makes payments to terrorists illegal.

There’s a heightened threat of terrorist attack globally against UK interests and British nationals from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria. Find out more about the global threat from terrorism, how to minimise your risk and what to do in the event of a terrorist attack.

Now I would still go but it pays to be safe my friends, pack your pepper spray :xdoh: and hold the hand of the person in front!:eek:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
@Gwyxtaxi
Screenshot_20180809-164052_Facebook.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The Foreign Office is covering its backside and ensuring it's protecting itself before UK citizen's . Hence, advising that just about every country presents a terrorist risk and it's arse is now covered with the minimum amount of work.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
To be fair to the FCO it is in a really difficult situation as its experts have to blanket cover just about every eventuality to every Brit National in only a few words.

At the end of the day it's up to the individual to consider and accept their own risk factors when visiting any country.

This may be a one-off scenario but without the aid of a crystal ball the FCO can say no different to what it has written in the TA above; both UK business interests and insurance-based policies are all orientated to the risk factors contained within the FCOs TA.

This could be one of those unfortunate scenarios which we don't ever see again but with the bad guys looking ever outward to more vulnerable targets then the likes of Morocco could be in the news again in the near future.

Only time will tell.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Again I'll say it - we see one of these "warnings" every year about this time. Now I'm not going to say ignore it, that is for each individual to decide and if you don't feel comfortable about it DON'T GO! But if you still decide to travel don't let your guard down, be sensible and even ask advice locally if you become concerned in-country - the police are very helpful to tourists.

If you look at all the FO warnings they're really much of a muchness for every country - yes they do have to cover their backs, that's their job. I'm sorry for them but frankly the two girls were trekking alone, in wild country without a guide, not something your average motor-homer would be doing and certainly against FO advice (well UK FO, don't know about their own). And remember this doesn't happen only in Morocco, plenty of other stories about youngsters getting into serious troubles in other parts of the world.

As for insurance companies, they'll only be interested if/when the FO says don't go. But if you read the small print they don't cover acts of terrorism anyway!

We're still going!

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
Anyone interested in something different for a day or so or more, while near Tafroute I got a whatsapp msg from my moroccan alcohol buyer re this place. has all facilities wifi, restaurant, pool shower etc, new facilities, under the lions head 29.755624 -8.96186
will prob give it a look myself this year..

P.s Merry Xmas to all the funsters we’ve met over the years in Morocco safe travels for 2019, hope whoever’s going this year have a great time, this maybe our last due to the green card issue sadly..
DD635D86-82FB-4628-89EE-AFB32A1227E2.jpeg

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi Mark, is it recently opened? It's just that we recall seeing something looking like that a couple of miles outside Tafraoute as we were leaving there two years ago.
Whatever, looks like somewhere nice to try if you get fed up of roughing it! Thanks for posting.

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Mark, is it recently opened? It's just that we recall seeing something looking like that a couple of miles outside Tafraoute as we were leaving there two years ago.
Whatever, looks like somewhere nice to try if you get fed up of roughing it! Thanks for posting.

I don’t think it’s new Tel, have seen it last cpl years when leaving like yourself, as you say may suit to have good shower up and relax after a few weeks on the dust bowl. although the Tafroute hamman can’t be beat for 10mad

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Coming to the sim card debate a bit late but......
We went in 2014/2015/2016. Took a year our and did SOUTH Africa for 3 months instead of North in 2017, but when I went back to maroc in 2018, the man in Asilah reactivated my card, no problem!
Missing 2019 (Thailand and south Asia) but hoping for 2020 if anyone is still going?

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Taken your views on board and going over for 5 weeks now. Thinking of heading East to wards Oujda then South and West to Ar-Rachidia, Ouarzazate, Tafraoute then back up to Tangier Med via Marrakech, Casablanca, Meknes and Fes. Still open to suggestions/constructive comments.
@PhilandMena got my gas sorted now, thanks for your help.
Regards to all.
Nik
Don’t forget your green card for Morocco, don’t chance buying it at the border it’s probably not worth the paper it’s written on, and not worth the risk of travelling without it.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Don’t forget your green card for Morocco, don’t chance buying it at the border it’s probably not worth the paper it’s written on, and not worth the risk of travelling without it.

Border insurance is third party only, that means no damage will be paid for. It is however basic legal cover that satisfies the authorities should any roadside vehicle checks be made.
Those who would like to know more on this subject should do a little Googling and they will no doubt come across posts on various forums from an old motorbike aquaintance of mine called Tim Cullis.
Tim has spent a lot of time in Morocco and offers good advice, one of his suggestions is buying Spanish Insurance as it includes green card cover for Morocco. This is one link he suggested.https://www.lineadirecta.com/Recursos/recursos/EN/html/Ventajas.html.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Direct Line in another guise. It looks like they don’t cover Motorhomes.

That makes sense as I read it on a bike forum, however Tim pops up on Motorhome forums as well. I do know that many European insurers offer full Europe cover that includes non EU countries like Montenegro for example, unlike our U.K. insurers. Tim claims that Spanish Insurance policy’s include green card cover for Morocco, I don’t know if you require a Spanish address to buy this product.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Odd sense of humour some people have got, posting my #368 post as funny?

Or perhaps just clicked the wrong button. Hey ho!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you look at all the FO warnings they're really much of a muchness for every country - yes they do have to cover their backs, that's their job. I'm sorry for them but frankly the two girls were trekking alone, in wild country without a guide, not something your average motor-homer would be doing and certainly against FO advice (well UK FO, don't know about their own). And remember this doesn't happen only in Morocco, plenty of other stories about youngsters getting into serious troubles in other parts of the world.

While nowhere can be considered 100% safe, the risk of being murdered and decapitated while trekking alone in the Scottish Highlands must be pretty low.. to negligible.

however.. by any standard, this was quite a rare an exceptional case.. https://www.news.com.au/travel/trav...s/news-story/bf05f436eed0be63f2c13df110966332

Traveling alone in Morocco by motorhome I think is best avoided.. a small group of 3 or 4 is better for both security and breakdown back-up..

we were with a group for three weeks then went on our own for about 4 weeks ,.. but it felt safer when we were with others..

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
While nowhere can be considered 100% safe, the risk of being murdered and decapitated while trekking alone in the Scottish Highlands must be pretty low.. to negligible.

however.. by any standard, this was quite a rare an exceptional case.. https://www.news.com.au/travel/trav...s/news-story/bf05f436eed0be63f2c13df110966332

Traveling alone in Morocco by motorhome I think is best avoided.. a small group of 3 or 4 is better for both security and breakdown back-up..

we were with a group for three weeks then went on our own for about 4 weeks ,.. but it felt safer when we were with others..

We ve been 3 times so far and spent a lot of the first time with friends but the other times we tend to travel alone as we will if we make it there this time.

What happened to these two young women is barbaric, the only aspect to be thankful for is that it appears they were beheaded post mortum.

However - disgraceful though it is - where could you feel comfortable with young women travelling alone? We were really surprised to see young women hitchhiking in NZ and then a month ago the inevitable happened. We live in a nice area in leafy Shropshire but still dissuaded our daughters from walking alone. The Scottish Highlands was mentioned by @scotjimland - two young women? sorry I disagree there are an awful lot of nasty people about and they can and do travel.

My conclusion on this is that you can get blown up/shot/ stabbed just about anywhere so why not go where you want to go? (although maybe avoid the Yemens of this world)

Jon

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The Scottish Highlands was mentioned by @scotjimland - two young women? sorry I disagree there are an awful lot of nasty people about and they can and do travel.

My conclusion on this is that you can get blown up/shot/ stabbed just about anywhere so why not go where you want to go?

yes, you can, be but we must agree to disagree that Morocco is no more dangerous than Scotland..

In my view a lone female traveller is at far greater risk in Morocco than Scotland..

we all make assessments and decide if the risks are worth going to wherever.. there is no "my view is right, yours is wrong"

8 reasons why Scotland is perfect for the lone female traveller..
https://www.watchmesee.com/blog/scotland-best-destination-female-solo-travellers/

compared to this girls experience.. the contrast is stark..

From Trip Advisor
Solo Female Travelers Beware, especially in Fes
1 Jan 2018, 18:26

I am writing to warn anyone of going to Morocco what to expect, as I was not warned. I cut my trip 10 days short because I could not take the terror and anxiety. As most of you know, I travel frequently, solo or with girlfriends, and consider myself to be very savvy, resourceful and with a very thick skin for what comes along with being a solo female traveler. As this was December and to respect their culture, I was covered head to toe with sunglasses and no make up.

Cat calls and being extra aware, avoiding alcohol, not going out at night are things I’m used to, but Morocco is another level to take precaution. I beg female travelers to not go solo, unless you plan on joining a guide, male friends or a tour group. I don’t even recommend groups of girls going, unless you’re joining a guide or tour. There was a group of French girls I met who all had been harassed as well, one groped on the street. Even couples need to be extremely aware and the man needs to be very sensible.

more

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
yes, you can, be but we must agree to disagree that Morocco is no more dangerous than Scotland..

In my view a lone female traveller is at far greater risk in Morocco than Scotland..

we all make assessments and decide if the risks are worth going to wherever.. there is no "my view is right, yours is wrong"

https://www.watchmesee.com/blog/scotland-best-destination-female-solo-travellers/

From Trip Advisor

I am writing to warn anyone of going to Morocco what to expect, as I was not warned. I cut my trip 10 days short because I could not take the terror and anxiety. As most of you know, I travel frequently, solo or with girlfriends, and consider myself to be very savvy, resourceful and with a very thick skin for what comes along with being a solo female traveler. As this was December and to respect their culture, I was covered head to toe with sunglasses and no make up.

Cat calls and being extra aware, avoiding alcohol, not going out at night are things I’m used to, but Morocco is another level to take precaution. I beg female travelers to not go solo, unless you plan on joining a guide, male friends or a tour group. I don’t even recommend groups of girls going, unless you’re joining a guide or tour. There was a group of French girls I met who all had been harassed as well, one groped on the street. Even couples need to be extremely aware and the man needs to be very sensible.

more

I agree with quite a lot of this, the muslim world isnt set up for unaccompanied females but still think that the majority on 'Fun' are safe enough. On the other hand I dont fancy the frostbite from scotland in the winter :xgrin:

Happy new year all

Jon

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We are going again, despite the fact we get frost bite in the mountains, at night :xcool:

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
Just use common sense(lot of people do lack it these days)
I would not walk around Gainsborough late at night

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011

From Trip Advisor

more

The reply to the above post if anyone followed the link

“Hardly Natalie, this post and the identical one you have spammed onto the terrorism thread (what were you thinking?) are the only times you have posted here. Same comment applies to your identical post on Lonely Planet which is the only time you have posted there as well.
It's a pity you were so frightened, many other solo female travellers have managed well, but it depends just how prepared one is before the trip. You may have had a completely different experience if you had participated on this forum BEFORE your visit.”

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

From Trip Advisor

more
Would I be wrong @scotjimland (Hail Jim!). If I was to say you post about the pitfalls of Morocco, as you see it, each and every year ?

BigRJ

Free Member
Dec 30, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autocruise
Exp
Anyone heading over to Morocco. We've been before but are a bit aprehensive with what's been going on?!?

BigRJ

Free Member
Dec 30, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autocruise
Exp
Sorry should of said we are new to motorhome fun, so not sure how forum works. We are planning to head over early Jan for 8weeks, but nerves are rattling a bit just wondered if many others are still going over????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back