LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
So, when's everyone going? And where's the best place for Christmas and New Year?

OP
OP
horshamjack
Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
We plan on entering Maroc 8th Jan:) No plans made yet on Xmas and New Year will be down South somewhere Portugal or Spain, Leaving UK mid Oct before the cold sets in(y)
hj

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I'm not sure we will be going to Morocco this Winter asLin is a bit apprehensive regarding the 'possible situation' over there, but as I keep saying, there has been terrorist attacks in Spain, France and the UK but I have not seen any reports regarding such attacks in Morocco even though I occassionally browse the Moroccan English language papers.
We've been to the country twice in the past 3 years and loved it and have never felt threatend even though we have found ourselves in some very out of the way places.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I'm not sure we will be going to Morocco this Winter asLin is a bit apprehensive regarding the 'possible situation' over there, but as I keep saying, there has been terrorist attacks in Spain, France and the UK but I have not seen any reports regarding such attacks in Morocco even though I occassionally browse the Moroccan English language papers.
We've been to the country twice in the past 3 years and loved it and have never felt threatend even though we have found ourselves in some very out of the way places.
It may help Lyn if you agree to buy an open ticket and return immediately if any of her concerns materialise. This should give her some comfort and reassurance and enable you to make the trip.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Our plan's (at present) is to cross the channel around the 28-30th spend some time with friends in Villajoyosa and be in Algecerias some time after the 10th January.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
It may help Lyn if you agree to buy an open ticket and return immediately if any of her concerns materialise. This should give her some comfort and reassurance and enable you to make the trip.
Hi Phil, open ticket is what we normally buy, but I have to say, if 'her' concerns materialise, then it is probably too late . . . . . you know, heads on poles etc.
By the by. . . . . . Do you know of a good hypnotist or psychiatrist?
LOL
Last time we went she had similar concerns. But we were in Spain near Gib. I just happened to park just outside Carlos's place and before she realised what was going on we'd got our tickets for the boat the next morning.
When we got there she loved it even more than the first time we went.
So, I'll never say never and we might even bump into you Funster folks on our way round. Having said that we probably won't be over until early March then spend April in Portugal

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Now, why do i think Lin is telling it how it was LOL.
Only one method left that is guaranteed to work Mike but involves tape and handcuffs, and if tried I fear that would be the end of days for both you and I.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
So, when's everyone going? And where's the best place for Christmas and New Year?
Not sure on a crossing date to Maroc yet, that will depend on the snow in Spain, but will be Christamsing and New Yearing somewhere on the Costa Blanca in between Denia and Benidorm.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Not with the map's you've got!
ok I admit it wasn't the most up to date map of Maroc at only 12yrs (2003) young but got me around with the help of the excellent maps.me and the Fun grapevine. will deffo be chillin again at Tafraoute.
Dave

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
FOR THOSE WISHING TO CROSS "EN MASSE" TO MOROCCO

Good to see all the activity here. No final decision yet but this is what I've got pencilled in:-

Friday 8 January - a full site somewhere not too far from Algeciras (poss Estapona again)
Monday 11 January - position to Algeciras and buy tickets, stock up etc.
Tuesday 12 January - cross to Morocco

Anyone who wants to join us, let me know. No need to come to (Estepona), just need to be at Algeciras lunchtime so Carlos can do "bulk" tickets.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Mena and I may be a distinct possibility for arriving pm on the 11th. Might miss you by a day or two but will soon overtake you when we break all the speed limits in Maroc again.

tgee

Free Member
Oct 9, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer s660
Exp
Since 2009
Hi horshamjack, scared shitless after Thebig1,s posts and reading whole thread. Nevertheless, we are intent on dragging our sorry asses down to Morocco this winter. Would love to join your band but are considering heading down a month earlier in December. As this is our first trip to Morocco though, think it might be sensible to wait till we join you

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
@tgee not really necessary. If you look up my posting in the "Resources" section all the info you need is there. Anything specific, as always here just ask.

And don't pay too much heed to the somewhat negative comments posted by our "large" friend - same thing has happened the last two years.

But if you do want to wait, quite a few Funsters are intending to spend Xmas and New Year in southern Spain. Why not join them?

OP
OP
horshamjack
Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
Hi @tgee we are entering Maroc the first week of January more than welcome to cross over at that time with us, although we may possibly drive to Chefchauon first then meander down the route we came back in 2015 crossing to the coast further South, albeit dependant on the weather at the time. Don't worry bout the "Big Uns" posts as Tel pointed out same thing happens every year:LOL: if you listened to Bigun you would not leave your house:cry:, plenty of info is in the resources section
My wife I and our dog went over on our own last year and we met up with some of the funsters in Essasoira 2 weeks later, it' a great country and very friendly. Feel free to pm us we have booked the tunnel for 13th Oct will be meandering down South for the Xmas and New year, could meet up somewhere along the way
Be Lucky
hj

Jun 16, 2015
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Full time
We are in capbreton at the mo working our way south will defo be ther in January !! Would be grateful of any recommendations for sites spain or Portugal for Christmas thinking about staying for a few wkes had bloody awful weather so far !!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We are in capbreton at the mo working our way south will defo be ther in January !! Would be grateful of any recommendations for sites spain or Portugal for Christmas thinking about staying for a few wkes had bloody awful weather so far !!
Most Funsters choose Spain rather than Portugal in winter because the weather is better.
The most popular place in Spain in the Winter is Benidorm. Plenty of campsites in and around Benidorm with great transport links up and down the coast.
Suggest you google campsites in Benidorm and then pick the one you like the most. We have stayed at Villasol and found it close enough to the town and beaches to walk and plenty of brits on the site too.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Apparently the French are invading Portugal and Spanish camp sites in their droves as their goverment have told them not to go to Morocco again this winter and so the Camp sites are booking up fast .

We would like to be in Er Kounte for Xmas ,, ( near Sidi Ifni ) .

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Apparently the French are invading Portugal and Spanish camp sites in their droves as their goverment have told them not to go to Morocco again this winter and so the Camp sites are booking up fast .

Oh goodie! Lots of room for us again then!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Terryl, hope to meet up with you for ferry :)
Last year, frenchies could not get to Morocco as they could not get insurance.
The Moroccans missed the income that they desperately need.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
What is the situation with insurance when taking a motorhome to Morocco Van get you home and medical insurance. Ta

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

Now that is great news! (about the French !)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
What is the situation with insurance when taking a motorhome to Morocco Van get you home and medical insurance. Ta
You will need a green card from your insurance provider which will give you up to 3 months legal entry into Maroc. (Third party cover only, but check with your provider as it may not even cover that ? It's just a legal document that is required by some countries outside Europe). Home insurance ! Talk to them and see what cover you have and then extend cover for duration of trip. (I'm with Aviva, I get 60 days cover free then 10% of total policy price for every additional month after that. Policy holder must return to house before the period starts again and I must have someone (neighbour) clearing mail doing visual check weekly).
Travel insurance, we use EHC for Europe but take out medical cover for Moroc. (This means in effect taking out travel insurance for whole trip. We tend to get a reasonable one then strip everything out except the medical cover. Make sure they have a manned 24hr telephone service. (Which will cost you an arm and a leg if calling from Maroc, so plenty of credit on the phone.)
I factored in all these costs, including ferry and additional fuel, campsite costs etc and still made quite a saving compared to Spain alone over 3 months. The longer the stay the bigger the saving.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Emergency phone calls use Skype via your maroc telecom sim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun