Free Member
Feb 9, 2013
UK -sussex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I`m a newbie
Am planning to visit Morocco with Desert Tours in early 2014 and then onto the Malaga bash in march. Any thought/experiences/comments about this organisation? Any other funsters contemplating an independent trip to Morocco ? Thought the Funster members 2013 trip sounded amazing.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If you read through some of the Morocco and Malaga threads, several if the 2013 crew are going again (us inc), If timing fits you welcome to tag along to go over with us or any of the others that are planning the trip.. Read the 2013 thread as thats got loads of info...

Broken Link Removed

If you feel safer with a guided trip the DD have been around a while.. But if you like a bit more flexability and want to spend a LOT less then DIY is the way to go...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
DD will show you a good time in Morocco.

But the problem is if you really like a place, tough, you leave with the tour.

On the other hand if you don't like a place, equally tough.

Being a free thinker we did leave Marrakesh before the others because the campsite was a taxi ride out of town and it was too darned hot.

The wild camping in the forest was a bit of a waste at about £100 a day, trees are trees we've got them in the UK.

The Roman ruins were a let down, anyone who could get enthusiastic about what's left has never seen Pompeii.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i disagree about the ruins volubilis is not as big .but played a very serious part in feeding the roman empire . the surrounding area was the crop growing /cereal area of the roman empire .
its actually much better than el jem in tunisia .
i have visited volubilis several times i find it more interesting every time i go.
first time i could agree with brian but after doing a bit of research i now find it much more interesting . you really need to spend a few days in the area it all fits together better . mouley idris ,meknes ,fes even souk-el-arba-du-rharb all play apart in it .
the secret is dont be in a rush .
i first visited in the 70,s . it does grow on you . in fact the whole of north africa does . its actually a very friendly area . tunisia is possibly the worst .
you have a great time with fossils 4-500million years old down in erfoud or rissani . Cristals out in the desert beyond erg chebbi in the hamada de draa and hamada deguir . well worth a trip waiting to be picked up.
visit midelt see the gyps mines . so much to see .you have to go back again and again .
then we have the snow capped atlas mountains . what a place .you can get 3000mtrs high or more if you want in your camper .
then the atlantic coast .
down to daklha ,but dont miss tarfaya the last stop for french air mail before crossing to the states years ago .visit the museum of antoine de st exupery . right on the beach . and see the british out post just off shore .
again so much to take in .
have a good trip might see you there .

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
You'll love it!

If you want to have a relaxed and well organised tour, try looking at Bluecamel tours. I went last year with them and it was a wonderful experience and excellent value for money - 1680€ per van for three weeks and an open ferry return ticket. I think they are running in February next year.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Just so people can compare...

Ferry open ticket €200.
Campsites / Parking. Anywhere from free to max €10 a night.. so at the very very worst case on a timescale the same as these organised tours of 28 nights.. Max €280 but in reality half of that..
They throw in a few meals so allow another €20-30.

All other things like fuel and any toll fees etc you have to pay anyway..
Remember these are not "per person" but total figure for the van and occupants.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just so people can compare...

Ferry open ticket €200.
Campsites / Parking. Anywhere from free to max €10 a night.. so at the very very worst case on a timescale the same as these organised tours of 28 nights.. Max €280 but in reality half of that..
They throw in a few meals so allow another €20-30.

All other things like fuel and any toll fees etc you have to pay anyway..
Remember these are not "per person" but total figure for the van and occupants.

Am just miffed that I didnt think of it 40 years ago. If so I would have been able to retire 20 years earlier :Doh:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Dave.. Next meet carry a cap around all the Morocco 2013 crowd, sure we all have some Dirums left to throw in the hat.. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

After you starting all this originally, I am just pleased I can pass on some info to other potential travellers.. :thumb::thumb:
You wont believe how many chats and bits of info that have been passed on since our adventure,,,,

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dave.. Next meet carry a cap around all the Morocco 2013 crowd, sure we all have some Dirums left to throw in the hat.. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

After you starting all this originally, I am just pleased I can pass on some info to other potential travellers.. :thumb::thumb:
You wont believe how many chats and bits of info that have been passed on since our adventure,,,,

Would love to go out there this winter, but as we have had to cancel so many planned trips at the last minute we are now only going anywhere at a minutes notice. You never know we may just bump into you this winter.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you see an old fat guy making a fool of himself flying around in a canary yellow one of these [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqgYQnSx-YA"]Joyner 1100 Sand Viper Turbo at Saint Anthony Dunes in Idaho - YouTube[/ame] it will quite possibly be me :Cool:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Am just miffed that I didnt think of it 40 years ago. If so I would have been able to retire 20 years earlier :Doh:

hi dave .might have joined you as well. mind its changed alot . i always said 1 year there is like 5 yrs here . but the last ten years as gone crazy .
its an incredible diverse country . when you stand and look across the sahara .you can imagine time as stood still.
yet fossilized coral and sea shells are there by your feet from when it was under the sea .
amazing .
those that havent been dont know what they are missing .

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
these organised tours of 28 nights..

Unless my brain has finally gone, I recall £1000 each and 3 weeks with Ray.

The "odd" bit we did not get into our heads is that the 3 weeks ends in Essouira and it's goodbye, make your own way home ( or stay ).

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, you may be right . i just get a fantastic feeling standing at volubilis and looking around . plus its so green . not like the rest of maroc.
the last pic is just north of the ruins anice layby with fresh water .a great place to meet the locals .we stopped a couple of days . lots come just for the water ,buses ,trucks . great fun to be had.

Attachments

• Morocco 2008-2009 3 375.jpg
    Morocco 2008-2009 3 375.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Morocco 2008-2009 3 360.jpg
    Morocco 2008-2009 3 360.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Morocco 2008-2009 3 359.jpg
    Morocco 2008-2009 3 359.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Morocco 2008-2009 3 391.jpg