Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Arrived and camped at El Jardida..
Campsite is poor!! But I guess thats Morocco.. !!

Ideal for walk into town and plenty of shops etc..
Fingers crossed (again) for some sun and dry weather tomorrow..:thumb:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi all

I must admit I tend to agree with snowbird, the weather wont get better to you go further south, do the north on the way back up.

Its blooming freezing here

Pat

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Still at Mohammedia

The last two evenings have been really good get together sessions. I cannot sing a note but have thoroughly enjoyed the music. Thanks Mike and Graham. We delayed our departure to carry on drying out the van and it looks as though we will move on tomorrow.

Problem occurred when I went for bread and Cathryn took a shower in the van. The hot water supply pipe parted company with the back of the shower valve resulting in about 40 litres finding a new home. :Sad: The result was wet duvet, sheets, mattress topper and mattress. Beneath the bed spare bedding (in case of visitors) got wet as well as anything in a cardboard box. Since water finds it's own level the carpets throughout the van were also wet.

Following repair using 15mm jubilee clip - thank you Sue - the drying out started. Last night it was like a Turkish bath in our van.

Having read Steve's comment about El Jadida. I am thinking of either Safi or Essaouira tomorrow depending how windy it is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Moroccan Funsters

Hello all,

I have spent some time researching the weather tonight!

After todays awful weather, we should see sun tomorrow! Monday it might rain a little in El Jadida but will be sunny further south. :thumb:

Now the good news!! It is forecast to be sunny (no clouds) for the next two weeks, well into the 20c+ in the sun around Essoauria and Marrakesh areas.

:Cool: :Cool:
Andrew and Carol

Last edited:
OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Malcolm, catch us up.. El Jadida is a busy town, lots of shops etc.!!
Nice beach front to walk along...

Gordon, "Gaudie" is on that site with you somewhere if you find him, I assume Bryan and Anna are there as well but not heard off them..

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Possibly El-Jadida

Hi Steve.
We may stop at El-J but your comments confirm the write-up in camping Morocco. If the main thrust of the group is to get south quickly then you will probably leave the next morning.

Do you know how long you will be there? Or the next stop.

I went out earlier to look for Bryan but got wet through (and I've had enough of that:ROFLMAO:)by the time I got to third row. So will now have a look when it is light.

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
We may stop at El-J but your comments confirm the write-up in camping Morocco. If the main thrust of the group is to get south quickly then you will probably leave the next morning.

Although there are other 'stops' El-J looks like the best off a small bunch - unless you drive to Safi (4+ drive) and I think it will be more of the same until hopefuly Essaouria. Maybe rest up and then an early start (there must at least 50 vans here heading in the same direction) and 4hr drive to Essaouria - plus lunch break?

My thoughts on a sunny morning! :Smile:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Essouira is lovely, its feel very bohemien(is that a word). We stayed on the car park by the fish restaurants, although that was packed then too, there was somewhere a little outside it too, dont know about campsites in the area, but you should keep some other places on standby in case it is too busy.

If you eat in the fish restaurants, negotiate hard on the price and when they start weighing them, they put all outs together so we were paying the more expensive price for normal fish and the lobster if you know what I mean.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You can park on the laybyes as you come into town if the restaurant parking is full. The toilet opens at around 9am just on the boulevard. Expect to pay around 10/15 dirhams per night but you will have to haggle to get that price. Dont miss the souk at night, its awesome. The laybyes are a 2 minute walk into town along the prom. Unfortunately you will be packed in fairly tight.

Attachments

• Morocco 084.jpg
    Morocco 084.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 123
  • Morocco 083.jpg
    Morocco 083.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Morocco 081.jpg
    Morocco 081.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 119
  • Morocco 086.jpg
    Morocco 086.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 115
OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The sun is out !!
Been up go a nearby Carefour where they have ample wine, bacon and ham procucts :Eeek:

Sat outside now having lunch and watching the french vans roll into the site.
Off back to town later for a walk around the soukes and then hopefully try some Moroccan lamb..:thumb:

The 3 vans of Malcolm bolt, Gaudi and bryanH may be here later but waiting on a confirmation...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
dont know about campsites in the area,

We finished our DT trek here.....
http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=31.491755,-9.762999&spn=0.001891,0.002958&t=h&z=19

Just a concrete car park but had all the essentials. Nice bike ride into town.

We met a young English guy on a tatty old Honda bike with bald back tyre on his way north. Good to see someone with the adventure spirit and unlike the ones on TV, no backup at all.

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
on tagazoute beach at moment about 30 vans here 31 degrees full sun . yesterday poored with rain but back to normal now . inshalha
stan:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Stan. Whats the score down there on the beach. Are you on what used to be Hasans shop carpark or on the old campsite.

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
yes the old campsite free dont pay gardien they are just trying it on . thats official from police and the comune .
stan:thumb::thumb:

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
The 3 vans of Malcolm bolt, Gaudi and bryanH may be here later but waiting on a confirmation...

Found Bryan Anna and Gordon this am and we decided at short notice to take the bus into Mohammedia Very pleased we did. Ate at a French styled restaurant for lunch then after dark had soup at an outdoor place in the square in the Kazbah. An amazing day.

I will be travelling to El Jadida tomorrow morning. I think Bryan may also come down but feel Gordon is likely to stay on here.

Weather much improved and Morocco is good.

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Morning all... Glad to report after a shopping expedition yesterday the safe aquisition of Sliced bread from Carrefour.:thumb:

Egg on toast is now underway...

Weather rainy but forecast to dry up this afternoon, some of the group going to scout ahead down to Essaouira.. Us others, some who may have had a tipple last night, staying over one more night...

Yesterday I ventured into the backstreet of the shouk and located a barbers.. No1 all over with his finest non rusty hair cutter...:Doh: 30dh and a free photo.
Lovely meal at a small cafe, 200dh (£16) for 4 of us and very tasty :thumb:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thanks everyone for all you're brilliant reports. Would I be brave enough to try it next winter?

Can I ask if you've seen anyone travelling with animals (I.e Europeans with pet dogs / cats not locals with sheep / goats)
Any thoughts on female travelling alone?

Look forward to reading more of the adventure.
Stay safe, have fun.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
As the time nears for this "meet up". I thought maybe a good idea to start a new thread as the adventure begins. A big thanks to Dave (snowbird) who originaly started the idea and no doubt expected 1 or 2 vans to join him, :Doh:

We still have a potential 12 - 14 vans who will meet on Tuesday 15th January at Algeciras. Some are already in Spain and moving closer to the port town, others like myself are still in UK and making a mad dash, leaving within the next few days.

I know many Funsters will be following the thread and checking on our progress, so lets do our best to provide information, pictures, highlights and hopefully no tales of woe...

MOROCCO. 2013. - Here we go. :thumb:
I can see it now, number of wealthy UK motorhomr owners held hostage in Marocco by Algerian Islamic terrorists.......Only Joking:Smile:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Thanks everyone for all you're brilliant reports. Would I be brave enough to try it next winter?

Can I ask if you've seen anyone travelling with animals (I.e Europeans with pet dogs / cats not locals with sheep / goats)
Any thoughts on female travelling alone?

Look forward to reading more of the adventure.
Stay safe, have fun.

If you'll go Hollyberry, I could well trundle along with you! I too am female travelling alone with my collie dog for company! But my van doesn't go very fast I must warn you! ::bigsmile:

Wonderful report backs guys and gals, keep them coming please :thumb:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If you'll go Hollyberry, I could well trundle along with you! I too am female travelling alone with my collie dog for company! But my van doesn't go very fast I must warn you! ::bigsmile:

Wonderful report backs guys and gals, keep them coming please :thumb:

My daughter reckons I'm slowest driver ever! Would love to do this next winter & I reckon safety in numbers.

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Frankie. You would love it.. Especially as you can speak French ::bigsmile:

Animals in motorhomes, plenty.....
Women alone... Not seen any, "the only sue" is here with us but as she's with a group maybe it's not quite the same thing...

Can honestly say it's been all fine so far, El Jadida is a busy place with lots of little shops in the Shouk's .. We have wondered around town and been squashed in with the locals, haven't seen any reasons to be concerned and no hassle from traders.. I expect Marrakesh will be different.

The only thing I can see as downside for some of the women folk is the toilet blocks.. VERY basic but come with the open mind that some campsites are more like an aire and use your facilities in the van.:thumb:

The first stop at the parking area at Asilah, we got approached within minutes by a few locals trying to sell cakes, cigarettes etc.. But a polite no and they left with a smile.

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Essaouria

Parked in Essaouria right next to the beach and medina. Busy but spaces become available as car (tourists) leave.

As you approach Essaouria you will see many motor homes parked, this stop is at least 2k from where we are parked and the town.

Our co-ordinates are n31.50933 w9.77178 if others decide to follow. Better to arrive early.

It's not raining but cloudy and it is warmer. I think it is 50 drm per night and the friendly attendant wants to buy my bike - which is 30 years old.

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Spent two nights at Mohammedia with Malcolm/Cathryn & Gordon at Camping Ocean Blue which is a nice site if a bit tired around the edges but with good grey/black disposal facilities. Toilet block OK but I admit we tended to use onboard facilities.
Yesterday, short walk to the No906 bus stop and into centre of town for 4Dh per person each way (exchange rate is 13Dh to £ so you work it out:roflmto:). Had good walk around town, lost most of the time and hunger drove us into a French restaurant where we all enjoyed a good meal...... 5 main course + 5 drinks = 400Dh. Eventually found the Kasbah and had a wander round and ate again at open air restaurant, which was an amazing and most enjoyable experience, and good company helped... served by the happiest waiter I have ever seen.... nothing was too much trouble for him.
Back to the campsite and fairly early to bed which was just as well as up at 6.30 to retrieve washing on line as it started raining ....again !!!
Leisurely start to the day with housekeeping, topping off water etc., left camp site with laundry hanging from every imaginable place .... looked like a Chinese laundry. Short run to El Jadida where we met Tonka & Polarbear, the rest of the gang having moved onto Essaouira. Probably spend a couple of days here of which, more later /.......

Best regards, from a soggy Morocco, Bryan

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

Some pics.. Sorry cant seem to embed the pics straight into the thread...

Funsters in line at Algerciras port.
The boat.
Arrival at Tangiers Med, new port.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Some pics.. Sorry cant seem to embed the pics straight into the thread...

Edited your post.. Pasted those links straight into the image box and they are OK:thumb:

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks jim,,
They are coming out a bit BIG and the stupid photobucket website uses flash for editing the sizes and my ipad wont do that....:Doh:

Thats why I never showed them as you have done....

ValinFrance

Free Member
Nov 1, 2011
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Great reports guys - it was this time last year we were headed down there.... Spent 3 days wildcamping at Essaouira by the fish places overlooking the sea, loved it!

If you visit Marrakesh, we loved the Jardin Marjorelle (Yves St Laurent garden) but we didn't enjoy the night market (though its a sight to see!)

Are you planning to visit Pointe Imsouane just north of Agadir? Going to stick my neck out and recommend it as a great site with lovely views and nicely renovated shower block, washing machine etc. Accessible for any size van, though one of the approach roads is a bit hairy! Nice bar in the town with wifi and good food.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDp7IWnB7Hc"]DAR NAIMA IMSOUANE - YouTube[/ame]
- end of the clip shows the campground!

check out my album...

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
El Jadida Morocco Jan 2013 photos

El Jadida Morocco Jan 2013 photos

Attachments

• El Jadida fish market - Morocco  Jan 2013.jpg