LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
A while ago, @Jim started a thread on these stating that they aren't as good as they used to be.:( That was in 2015, is that still the case? We currently don't use anything, but really should as we walk a lot of dirt and grit into the unit and it would be more comfortable for the dogs. We are off to the show next week and like the look of the outdoorflooring chap that sells these mats. If they are still no good, we won't bother, but if they are much better now and of good quality, then we may get one. (y) We still have the breathable ground sheet from the folding camper days,:rolleyes: but this is really heavy and doesn't fold very small, but is usable. What do you guys think?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
No too long ago there were a few Motorhomers who would bring a motorhome load of proper mats up from N Africa and sell them at the shows. I don't think many products sold today as "Moroccan Mats" have ever been anywhere near Morocco. I think maybe they should be called "Chinese Mats" :)

We found that chair and table legs and or hard ground soon wreck these cheaper mats, and that in just half a summer they fade to a yukky grey.

If you only place them on grass, on cloudy days, don't put your chairs and tables on them, then they'll last as long as the old originals used to.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
If you only place them on grass, on cloudy days, don't put your chairs and tables on them, then they'll last as long as the old originals used to.
:doh: Should have thought of that..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
We bought our so called Moroccan Mat at Peterborough show 2016, but were under no delusion as to where it had come from (I.e not Morocco).
It has served us well since, sure it’s picked up in a couple of places but TBH it was only about £40 so if I have to change it every 3 or 4 years so be it. I’d probably be bored with the colour of it before then anyway :D

It is certainly useful with the dogs, and to avoid bits of gravel from hard standings being brought into the van.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Ditched the last Morracan mat we had after two years, now use the Kampa awning mat which appears to be far better.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I still have my Moroccan mat bought in Agadir 17 years ago. Still serviceable and still blue although the colour of my motorhomes has changed over the years the mat has stayed the same. Original ones are tied at the ends, not glued. Good ones were never cheap even in Morocco.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We have seen some superb woolen/silk carpets in Moroc and they were not cheap either. We have also bought some cheap mats for use in the motorhome expecting them to be worn out in 6 months and to our surprise they are still going strong even after machine washing. The plastic mats are another story! One long and large one is very good and going strong after two years. The smaller one is falling to pieces and is fundamentally a piece of shit.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I still have my Moroccan mat bought in Agadir 17 years ago. Still serviceable and still blue although the colour of my motorhomes has changed over the years the mat has stayed the same. Original ones are tied at the ends, not glued. Good ones were never cheap even in Morocco.
i have one here bought in 1998 at taga . well by where the old fishermens huts used to be . marroon and still great. mines tied like yours .here it is tied to the roof rack in 2000 on my old t2 vw .its like every where things change .
still got some new t shirts bought in agadir for 15 dh could do with a few sweatshirts they used to sell for 30 dh . found the tshirts in the back of one of the seat cupboards . forgot they were there .
never mind .

Attachments

• img027.jpg
    img027.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 29

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Still got one after 15 years, it’s been swamped in mud etc, taken home hung up and hosed off. Does the job well and not a lot of money. (y)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We've got a large mat from Moroccan matting and are pleased with it.
I have tried ordering a smaller one but have been advised by them that they have completely sold out and the next delivery to them is on March next year!!
Disappointing as we would like a smaller one for during the winter months.
Any recommendations for where else to buy from?

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Seaflo sell Moroccan awning carpets, don't know about the quality.

Ray

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
We've got a large mat from Moroccan matting and are pleased with it.
I have tried ordering a smaller one but have been advised by them that they have completely sold out and the next delivery to them is on March next year!!
Disappointing as we would like a smaller one for during the winter months.
Any recommendations for where else to buy from?
yes sidi kouki or taghazoute . aglou plage . mind go to the madina in essaouira and sneak about you might even find where some of them are made.
mind you might find another around skhirat or bouznika plage. if you dont want to drive too far.hee hee.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back