Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Not sure if I'm missing the point here but I bought my first ever brand new vehicle last year, an Adria Motorhome, felt like a millionaire. Some people thought it foolish to pay so much for a motorhome. As I always say I did it because I could. However 'extravagant' you are its always the same "because we can".

It's a very good point you make but I don't always associate expensive toys to people with money these days.

I have so many hard working pals who will buy a luxury item just because it's either 'their thing/passion' or, because they feel special when driving it and it gives them a break from their otherwise crappy life.

There's a guy who lives just 7-miles away from Nicky and I who spent a fortune on a MoHo and he keeps it in his garden which, incidentally, backs onto his 2-bedroom pit village home. The MoHo is just his thing!

(We own a PVC)........and were told by a grumpy old English tourist in Shetland last year that he considered PVCs a good option for people who couldn't afford a proper MoHo.

That said, if someone is truely minted then they wouldn't be faffing around with motorhomes in the first place. A few years ago I was a minion in a Saudi run Oil&Gas project and the owner was so rich that he would probably buy 200 Morelos for his serving staff as Xmas bonuses. (He wouldn't know what a Morello was TBH but he could probably recall the manufacturer of his $200-Million yacht, lol).

If you're happy with something and it helps make you smile or, it gives you a lift to an otherwise boring life, then go for it as life is too short

Regards,

Andrew

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As many people say if you can get a bus or delivery van down the road then most MoHo will go there.

If a skip lorry or a school bus bus can get there then so can I. An oft quoted saying and of course its true. However in my considerable experience of driving large motorhomes ( Wider and longer than Morrelllos) your problems start when you actually meet the aforementioned skip lorry or School bus :D

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If a skip lorry or a school bus bus can get there then so can I. An oft quoted saying and of course its true. However in my considerable experience of driving large motorhomes ( Wider and longer than Morrelllos) your problems start when you actually meet the aforementioned skip lorry or School bus :D

That is true but look well ahead and don’t forget you’re not on a time schedule.
Or come to it need to get home that night as you’re already home ??

Put the kettle on and let the bus or skip lorry make the decision on the next course of action.
Keeping your phone handy in case they decide to force their way through ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That's a very valid point Jim Jim and after all this thread is designed for the beginner level.

Morelo owners: Realistically though, and as per Jim's point above; can owning a Morelo be a hindrance sometimes on the continent due to its size/height or are you guys just so familiar with large MoHo's that it doesn't bother you.
The simple answer is YES as with any large van or come that anything more than pushbike with panniers, so you go into it with eyes open remember what you want to do with van and how and where you want to travel.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
And you don’t want to scratch your van, skip lorry couldn’t give a monkeys.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks Martin,

Nicky and I will swing-by the Travelworld showroom as we'll be down that way for a Place In The Sun exhibition early next month.

Your comment about the brochure pics is one that is most relevant to my opening thread as it's this 'what you get as standard' bit that is the confusing to the uneducated folk like me.

Lenny HB Lenny, as above, this is the reason why I'm a bit confused with the whole price list-thing.

Thanks to all,

Andrew
That will be N+B? The sales guys there might have a different opinion of MORELO to some of us.

Martin

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The length of these vans will rarely cause issues. its the width. Morrreellllos are narrower than most RVs and with care and a bit of planning you can tour most anywhere in an RV, so easier in somthing European. Over the years we’ve had some good ones and been well stuck. I bought a village to a standstill just last year, or I should say an idiot flatbed artic driver we met, did. But Ive always managed to get out without damage. My advice is to stop as soon as you think things are going to be tight. its always easier when one vehicle is stopped rather than both trying to squeeze past on the move.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
My advice is to stop as soon as you think things are going to be tight. its always easier when one vehicle is stopped rather than both trying to squeeze past on the move.

Couldn’t agree more.
If you’re not moving the onus is on the vehicle that is.

Let the “professional” driver extricate him/herself from the problem ?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
That's a very valid point Jim Jim and after all this thread is designed for the beginner level.

Morelo owners: Realistically though, and as per Jim's point above; can owning a Morelo be a hindrance sometimes on the continent due to its size/height or are you guys just so familiar with large MoHo's that it doesn't bother you.

It is not just familiar with large MoHos which may be relevant, but with large vehicles in general.

I used to do agency driving including 7.5tonners(first one I drove was a removal van and you know how long they are) so that experience made buying a 7m L x 2.3m W x 3m H MH no problem.

Even if no previous experience if one takes the first couple of hundred miles over-cautiously one soon gets used to the dimensions.

I find that if one goes through a gap and then looks in wing mirrors one sees what clearance one had and memorises that for judging the next time. So one can get confidence as to how close one can go.

Geoff

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Here is a start both new and secondhand in Germany. You can get a feel of stock vans and secondhand in terms of what you get for your money. On a new one listed if you copy and paste the description below any vans entry (this content remains in German) and paste into Google Translate you get the list of extras and standard items for that van.
Broken Link Removed
Where to buy, one dealer in the UK a shedload in Germany.
There is a start for you.

Michael

There's certainly lots for sale there (and many thanks for the link BTW).

My main problem is understanding what is good value on that site as my knowledge of the spec; the van range and the price list is so incredibly poor.

A cheeky question if I may: Could someone put a spin on the devaluation aspect of a Morelo MoHo please. Do they hold their money or does their resale drop significantly during the first few years of ownership.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
First of all, you would need to know how to pronounce the make. I know an owner who thinks there are two l's in the word. There aren't.
Regarding length: It will depend where you want to go. Anything over 8m tends to become more difficult to park, especially in Aires.
Height and width can also be a hindrance. Most SatNavs do not know about low-hanging trees. Commercial vehicles don't matter but your life-time savings will.
Liners only have one door. That can be an advantage but also a damn nuisance if you come to a halt on a ferry with a bulkhead right opposite and no wriggle-room back or forth. On balance, I'm quite happy with only the one, however.
Quality comes at a price but not in proportion. A Rolex will give you the time, just like a Timex. A Chinese SatNav will get you there, just as something a lot more expensive. By Morelo if you appreciate some of the finer things but recognise that the RiffRaff can have just as much fun in a beat-up Fiat.

That's probably one of the best posts I've ever read on the forum.(y)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011

My main problem is understanding what is good value on that site as my knowledge of the spec; the van range and the price list is so incredibly poor.

A cheeky question if I may: Could someone put a spin on the devaluation aspect of a Morelo MoHo please. Do they hold their money or does their resale drop significantly during the first few years of ownership.
The best way to judge the devaluation of a van is look at previous years to what you are interested in, some sellers say what the RRP was as well.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

I don’t really know but my guess is that depreciation is not a killer BUT I would not promote a liner class MH purchase as a sound financial investment, you might need £150k to £200k on top of a trade in so that alone is a big chunk of investment income, then higher insurance costs and possibly higher road tax and luxury car tax on top but “you want it you deserve it so if you can do it”

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

You buy your depreciation up front with the effectiveness of your negotiation. So if the depreciation is lets say 30% off list after 3 years (that's just an arbitrary figure so don't hang me on it) the guy who only gets 6 % discount will lose a notional 24%, but the guy that got 15% loses only 15%. If its a EU van and the Euro to Sterling was lets say 1.30 when you bought but then slumped for 2 - 4 years after you would get a better figure in sterling after 3 years. So to definitively quote a depreciation figure or % is with motor homes not really helpful.
My Morelo purchase is a minefield to traverse the numbers, I traded my Flair which only lost about E6000 in the 3 years (bought well) when I did the deal, but my Morelo was nearly 18 months in gestation and they still honoured the trade in figure so I had a chunk of Euros that I had effectively bought at 1.30 in 2015. The Morelo balance of Euros averaged 1.16. However the deal was at 2018 prices honoured after 2 increases in mid 2019 giving an effective discount of 20%.
As you can see your question does not have a simple answer, other than buy well as it will determine the end game.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
SIZE. Our first motorhome was a Yankee, 12 metres, 4 metres high, 8 wheels and 20 tons. After 3 years we gave up the fight and set a limit of 9 metres and bought the Flair at 9.2. We went every where we wanted with it and no worrying about access, we always got in somewhere.
The Morelo is a Liner yes, its on a Truck chassis of 12 tons, but it is shorter than the Flair at 9.19!! I know but it is shorter!. The important elements are that the wheel base is 4.62 compared to the Flair at 5.1 and the steering axle cut in is greater on the Mercedes chassis, I cannot recall the degrees right now. So despite having more presence and being 3.8m high compared to the Flair at 3.5 we can get on pitches that were nearly if not impossible with the Flair. So its not all about length. I will give you the height is an issue, we cannot now get under the Spanish sunshade poles which are normally 3.5 or less which is a bummer, but overall the compromise is a good one as we now have a slide out which transforms the internal space.
Something to think about in your search.
Michael

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
If it’s pronounced “moreelow” then I no longer want one. Mind you, even Hymer isn’t pronounced the way most Brits think it is. It’s a minefield.

Reactions: Jim
OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Few Boy's Toys are investments. If you don't have the money, don't spend it.
It's fine to dream, though.

Could you loan me a few quid and I'll pay you back when I get my first 60th B'Day pension pay out...............in 2033 (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back