Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Please, please, please share. My poor dad who has worked all his life to build up the family business has had his new place broken into last night and had 6 motor homes stolen! Absolutely gutted. Please share! Please inbox for details. Scumbags.

Apparently near Lytham St Annes lots on Facebook regarding this.

OP
OP
laneside

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Sorry for the confusion but this was not my dad but someone on facebook and I thought Funsters should be aware of stolen bans around

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Surely the guy must have had insurance. Hope so anyway.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Surely the guy must have had insurance. Hope so anyway.

The insurance will probably ask to see the purchase price evidence and use that for their payout, so he will have lost any profit he would have made on their sale, which I doubt he could have got insurance for, as it would be difficult to quantify in event of a claim.

Maybe Peter at John's Cross could give his opinion.

Geoff

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Were all six vans for retail or were some in for repair?
If they were on sale via commission, lets hope the owners had told their insurance company.

Sadly these incidents are reminders that you have to get 'down and dirty' and check out all the chassis number plates and the engine number with 'HPI type reports' as part of buying a second hand van.
Serial/chassis number plates are very well defined so if any numbers/letters look deformed, then there is a likelyhood it has been altered.

If we all spent time writing, etching and scratching the chassis number all around our vans, on windows, under beds, inside cupboard doors, on roof lights, side panels, inside lockers, wheel rims, etc, etc, etc, the harder we would make it for stollen vans to be quickly and easily sold to unsuspecting buyers which may just make them less of an attractive 'quick buck'.

Of course the manufacturers could also do a lot more during the manufacturing process but until customer demand forces them to do so, then they have no incentive to try and help protect our pride and joy!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Poor chap must be gutted.
Neighbour's SIL has his big shiny motorhome on her drive and a couple of days ago I saw a man on her drive, facing the motorhome, tapping something into what I thought was a phone. ( I didn't have my specs on ) Alerted neighbour who accosted the man further down the street, reading gas meters ! But she has started parking her car across the front of the m/h.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
The insurance will probably ask to see the purchase price evidence and use that for their payout, so he will have lost any profit he would have made on their sale, which I doubt he could have got insurance for, as it would be difficult to quantify in event of a claim.

Maybe Peter at John's Cross could give his opinion.

Geoff
If he has decent insurance with business interruption cover he should be able to claim his loss of profits.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I can sympathise with the owner of Motorlands. I ran a storage business and was forced out of business by thefts. It isn't possible to insure property that you don't own. The result of these thefts was loss of confidence, even though we had a strong compound but it couldn't stand up to a vehicle transporter being driven through it, on one occasion, and a van with maximum security on it being stolen by being winched onto it despite it having wheel clamps and corner steady locks fitted. They left a similar van next to it without the security but a year older. These thefts are to order and scouts check for suitable vans.
One group were apprehended driving a Mercedes car which was registered to a caravan dealer down south I was informed by the Police. I was near Newcastle upon Tyne. They were also stealing from other compounds between York and Berwick. Taking them to Carlisle where a legit haulage firm was taking them to the Stranraer Ferry for Ireland. The ferry company was accepting a cross as a signature and listed the vans as blue and white caravan or similar, no makes or reg numbers.
On my last day in business a local garage was caught at 5am with a transporter and 3 cars loading the remaining vans.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Sadly these incidents are reminders that you have to get 'down and dirty' and check out all the chassis number plates and the engine number with 'HPI type reports' as part of buying a second hand van.
Serial/chassis number plates are very well defined so if any numbers/letters look deformed, then there is a likelyhood it has been altered.

If we all spent time writing, etching and scratching the chassis number all around our vans, on windows, under beds, inside cupboard doors, on roof lights, side panels, inside lockers, wheel rims, etc, etc, etc, the harder we would make it for stollen vans to be quickly and easily sold to unsuspecting buyers which may just make them less of an attractive 'quick buck'.

Of course the manufacturers could also do a lot more during the manufacturing process but until customer demand forces them to do so, then they have no incentive to try and help protect our pride and joy!
There used to be kits for sale to etch the windows and even companies set up to do it but not seen them for ages.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
There used to be kits for sale to etch the windows and even companies set up to do it but not seen them for ages.

They do nothing other than give false sense of security. 2 minutes with a DA polisher and it's like they were never there :eek:

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
They do nothing other than give false sense of security. 2 minutes with a DA polisher and it's like they were never there :eek:

To be fair to the new generation DNA type products, it is impossible to remove all traces but they do need to be used in conjunction with complimentary products such as transponders or tags. The downside is buyers are still unable to check the product at the point of sale to ensure it isn't stolen.

I expect the reality is that motorhome and caravan thefts are just not statistically relevant in volume or value when compared to thefts of plant and agricultural prime movers and equipment and it is in those areas where the effort appears to be focused.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back