Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Folks

I'm not sure I get any cleverer (more clever?) as I get older so the silly questions will no doubt continue to be asked... apologies in advance! :D

My wife has just asked me a question I've been thinking about asking for some time since we collected our Motorhome. The question:

"How long should we leave the toilet cassette when we're in between trips or should we keep it empty?"

So... when we got back from our last little sojourn (isn't it incredible how fast that little cassette fills up?) I emptied the cassette down into our water-borne (mains) sewage, rinsed it out nicely and then put in about two and a half litres of water and the normal amount of blue liquid. We haven't used Molly for about a week now and there's probably another 4 days before we are intending to venture out again, hence the question above.

So whatcha think?

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
When we get back from a trip, I usually leave the cassette 2 days before emptying it at home, down the toilet (we are on mains drainage). I think leaving it to fester helps whatever we have in it (I.e blue, green or bio, we use mainly green or bio though) break down the contents.

Then I fill it with hot water, out of the shower attachment on the bath, and empty it a few times until water coming out is clear.

Then I put some bio powder in it, fill again with hot water and leave it in the bath overnight.

Finally empty it and put it back in the van empty.

No smell problems.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
No wonder it fills quickly if you put 2.5 litres of water in it after emptying - I'm sure I read somewhere about 0.5 litre is enough, so that's what I do...

Many threads on bio washing tabs over liquid blue.

In answer to your question, empty at last destination if possible before journey home... rinse again at home, one bio tab & a bit of water ready for the next trip (y)

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I think you've done the right thing, empty then re-charge ready for your next trip. Just HOW you recharge it (ie how much water, any chemicals, wash tablets, orange juice etc) is another question altogether...

Ref additives though, please don't use Blue if you're likely to be emptying the cassette anywhere that has a septic tank - you'll kill it. (Not joking: the Blue kills off the bacteria necessary for a septic tank to work and it's an expensive job to get it going again.) Some campsites use septic tanks, especially in rural areas; also some friends you may stay with. Then you may find yourself struggling with your conscience!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Interesting...I never thought about leaving the toilet "ready" when not in use.

My routine is to charge the toilet up when packing the van ready for the off.

I hadn't realised you needed to add as much as half a litre of water, I normally just give two or three presses on the flushing button after adding the chemical stuff.

@CWH is spot on about the blue stuff. Hence we favour green or bio liquid or powder. Bio has the advantage that Swmbo also uses it for clothes washing when we're away so saves a bit of space. Not sure I'll buy more green once the current bottle is used.

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
After a trip away I empty the cassette and then don't do anything with it until the next trip. If I know it's going to be some time then I give it a squirt with some silicone spray to keep the seals lubricated. Thetford do their own brand but any that is safe to use on plastics/rubber is ok.
https://www.thetford-europe.com/product/seal-lubricant/

Other than that I only prep it as I'm about to use it. If it's only a short 2 day trip I often don't bother putting anything in, especially if only being used for no.1's. If a longer trip I will add some.

Too Much Info Ahead Alert, carry on reading at your peril :eek: - With regard to putting the 2.5l of water in it initially, you only really need to do this if your first use is for No.2's. The theory being that it is enough water to cover your deposits. Without any water in then you would just create a mountain in the centre of the cassette :sick:. If you're going to do a few No.1's first then this builds up an adequate fluid level to cover anything else.

Haha. Love a good toilet thread here on Fun. (y)

Upvote 0
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Hi Folks

I'm not sure I get any cleverer (more clever?)
I think that the correct grammar is, "much more cleverer than", but I could be wrong.:LOL:.
On a less serious note we add 1 blue tab and 1 litre of water. Never empty it down a septic tank. Our tank would last a good week as we only wee in it but tend to empty it every few days as the missus says it stinks!

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We empty mostly whenever the opportunity arises. But if not done before we arrive home, then empty in wc as soon as we get back. Quick rinse out with fresh water, then a drop of green chemical, and we're 'good to go' whenever the next adventure comes along.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No wonder it fills up quick.
It only needs a liter of water.
You're putting more in every time you flush.
I always recharged the fluid and water every empty out even if not being used.
Too easy to forget if you don't and its stood for a longish time.

Upvote 0

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
We empty mostly whenever the opportunity arises. But if not done before we arrive home, then empty in wc as soon as we get back. Quick rinse out with fresh water, then a drop of green chemical, and we're 'good to go' whenever the next adventure comes along.

Same for us. We charge it with about half a litre of water..... the liquid volume being increased by both our contributions before adding 'anything' further:D We use Aldi bio liquid or tabs.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks, Folks. So the green tabs are better than the 'blue liquid'? I've about half a bottle of 'blue' left but have bought some of the green tabs.

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We are always in it (the van)and always use cl,s and they hardly any have toilets always empty before departure..don't use any chemicals at all.

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Thanks, Folks. So the green tabs are better than the 'blue liquid'? I've about half a bottle of 'blue' left but have bought some of the green tabs.
Not necessarily " better" as in more efficient, but green are much more environmentally friendly.

The composition of the blue destroys the micro climate (or however you'd describe it) that exists in septic tanks and can cause a lot of problems for the site owner.

Some site actually ban blue so to be safe green is the "better" option - however as many have said, biological washing powder/tablet/liquid is just as efficient and is eco friendly. Also gives the advantage that we always have bio liquid with us so Swmbo can wash my shreddies so it saves storing another bottle.

Reactions: Pia
Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Also gives the advantage that we always have bio liquid with us so Swmbo can wash my shreddies so it saves storing another bottle.
Which raises an even sillier question.
When you go to laundries on campsites, the washing machines always seem to ask for 'powder'. Can you use liquid instead?

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Having just consulted with Swmbo she says "yes" - she does anyway!

Never had/caused a problem as far as we know.

Powder is potentially susceptible to damp and going hard as a result, hence the favour of liquid or tablets, whichever the supermarket have on offer at the time.

Upvote 0

Julie and Charles

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
15 years under canvas, 13 years in a caravan
Same for us. We charge it with about half a litre of water..... the liquid volume being increased by both our contributions before adding 'anything' further:D We use Aldi bio liquid or tabs.

Aldi bio liquid? As in laundry?

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I don't know of anybody who add chemicals to their toilets in the house, excepting of course cleaners and bleach, so why add them in the cassette!:whistle:

We haven't used any red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo or violet chemicals in our cassettes for around 10 years now and have survived without any problems.(y)

In my opinion, the chemicals most campers use are not in the cassette long enough to break down any of the solids which are perfectly natural products.:rolleyes:

The best thing we have is a vented system such as a SOG, or as we have now the built in Thetford option. I know some folk complain about unsavory smells from the exhausts but this doesn't happen if the carbon filters are maintained correctly

The benefits for me are, no smell inside moho (or outside), saving in space and weight of chemicals, less time spent attending to emptying duties (especially in the pouring rain), and best of all I get to keep more beer tokens in my pocket.:cheers:

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
Again no idea about the toilets in MH, sorry but do you have to take them apart in the bathroom or from under the MH please?

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Again no idea about the toilets in MH, sorry but do you have to take them apart in the bathroom or from under the MH please?
Most systems have a toilet which has a plastic container called a cassette into which the ...well you know what...drops directly from the inside toilet which has a sliding mechanism called the blade. This seperates the toilet basin from the cassette.
You can usually access the cassette from the outside through a special door in the side of the MH. You lift out the cassette and empty it in a designated emptying point which is usually provided by campsites alongside the toilet block.
Having read your post about things you are taking "camping" I am wondering though if you are going for a big American RV style MH. :rolleyes:These work a bit differently.
Here you go watch this

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
Most systems have a toilet which has a plastic container called a cassette into which the ...well you know what...drops directly from the inside toilet which has a sliding mechanism called the blade. This seperates the toilet basin from the cassette.
You can usually access the cassette from the outside through a special door in the side of the MH. You lift out the cassette and empty it in a designated emptying point which is usually provided by campsites alongside the toilet block.
Having read your post about things you are taking "camping" I am wondering though if you are going for a big American RV style MH. :rolleyes:These work a bit differently.
Here you go watch this

Ah now I understand how it works had no idea, thank you Riverbankie for coming to my aid again.

All those things we take camping is because we glamp lol. no RV for us too big and expensive, but I do love the older Hymers and they are also within our price band

cheers Jakki x

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back