LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It has been posted many times but obviously not getting through that LEZs are not about pollution as a whole but about reducing, specifically, the concentration of particulates emitted by diesel engines.

Those particulates cause problems for people with asthma and other lung problems and any reduction is welcome.

The fact that there is a case for reducing other forms of pollution is an argument for an increase in such legislation and is certainly not an argument for not having LEZs.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
You can run the registration number of diesel's and petrol engines... My RV is compliant... which doubt Roger's is (Wildman).....

In fact they have a devils job at the MOT station to get a reading for the Ford Triton engines.. they are so clean. More than can be said for smelly dirty diesels that cause all the issues.. black cabs and motor homes etc.,

Now if they used the AMERICAN engine's they might have less smog readings.

Bob:Blush:

But don't the United States consumes 25% of the world's energy (with just 5% of the world's population. I bet thats down to RV owners having to use their onboard gennies to turn on their 4,000w onboard PA system to listen to Dolly Parton whilst waiting 'in line' at the gas station...

Roll on Yellowstone Supervolcano, so that the world be rid of this nation of wasters and Country and Western Music. Diesel may well pollute but nowhere as bad as C&W and bleeding steel/pedal guitars (well besides those Swiss shepherds yodelling) and overated Apple PC's and yes it was a Brit who invented the 1st computer and TV, not the Yanks.

Have a nice day..

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
But don't the United States consumes 25% of the world's energy (with just 5% of the world's population. I bet thats down to RV owners having to use their onboard gennies to turn on their 4,000w onboard PA system to listen to Dolly Parton whilst waiting 'in line' at the gas station...

Roll on Yellowstone Supervolcano, so that the world be rid of this nation of wasters and Country and Western Music. Diesel may well pollute but nowhere as bad as C&W and bleeding steel/pedal guitars (well besides those Swiss shepherds yodelling) and overated Apple PC's and yes it was a Brit who invented the 1st computer and TV, not the Yanks.

Have a nice day..

Shift, yo is sewercidal, when Yellowstone blows that will be the end of Yogi Bear and Bobo and us over ere :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
PHEW at least SANTA is real :thumb::thumb:::bigsmile:

Not exactly... He was arrested by the CIA for being a terrorist, he is still in Guantanamo Bay on a traffic violation, well it was the easiest thing they could think of... Slobobobobobob went over and pleaded, but they still refused to let him in, something to do with having a small RV...

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Not exactly... He was arrested by the CIA for being a terrorist, he is still in Guantanamo Bay on a traffic violation, well it was the easiest thing they could think of... Slobobobobobob went over and pleaded, but they still refused to let him in, something to do with having a small RV...

I wasn't aware of how small it was :ROFLMAO:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
My nice new Rapido is LEZ compliant, but I can promise one thing as long as I drive it

IT aint going into London, Sheffield, Bristol, Birkenhead, Swansea, Belfast and possibly only into Preston if my navigator screws up.

Absolutely nothing in anyone of them for a pair of country bumkins like us

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My nice new Rapido is LEZ compliant, but I can promise one thing as long as I drive it

IT aint going into London, Sheffield, Bristol, Birkenhead, Swansea, Belfast and possibly only into Preston if my navigator screws up.

I suppose anything's a bit tame after the fleshpots of Mytholmroyd isn't it :ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Shiffty you are so sad sometimes

Have a nice day..

Shifty you are so sad some days... well you forgot the Ukulele's in your 'I hate the yanks' Ukulele's came fro Hawaii ... last time that I looked it was still part of the USA:winky:

I will have my lap steel guitar with me at Rutland, my Ukulele with me and yes of course my country music... but I do manage to play it without the need of the 4 kw genny.. it fits on a laptop 12v ... and as far as I am aware that does not chuck out pollution.

If I could harness some of the hot air that you pass out:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:... then we might solve some of the issues of the LEZ:winky:... I live in hope Shiffty... But I do not get up set about your anti American stand... I suspect the FBI will pick you up one day and do a rendition on you.... :winky:

Like wise Shiffty have a good one..

Bob:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!

Au contraire mon brave as a resident of Birkenhead there is a lot here and in nearby Liverpool.
www.visitwirral.com:thumb:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
[HI][HI]Shifty you are so sad some days...[/HI] [/HI] well you forgot the Ukulele's in your 'I hate the yanks' Ukulele's came fro Hawaii ... last time that I looked it was still part of the USA:winky:

I will have my lap steel guitar with me at Rutland, my Ukulele with me and yes of course my country music... but I do manage to play it without the need of the 4 kw genny.. it fits on a laptop 12v ... and as far as I am aware that does not chuck out pollution.

[HI]If I could harness some of the hot air that you pass out[/HI]:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:... then we might solve some of the issues of the LEZ:winky:... I live in hope Shiffty... But I do not get up set about your anti American stand... I suspect the FBI will pick you up one day and do a rendition on you.... :winky:

Like wise Shiffty have a good one..

Bob:ROFLMAO:

Me sad...... Hmmm, your posting may well be considered a personal attack that may well be against rule 1.

Rule 1 Be Nice.
No personal attacks of any kind against other members of the forums. Offensive, insulting, profane or vulgar remarks are strictly not allowed. As is telling others to "get a life" or that they or their comments are "stupid". If you strongly disagree with a post then your reply should address the post and not question the intelligence or parenthood of the poster. There are plenty of forums that allow members to be discourteous toward each other, this is NOT one of them. Members should report any post they see that breaks the rules

Actually I may well not bother answering the rest of your post.

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
pickpockets

As " ourcaravansbeentrashed " said, it doesnt, but what it does do is enable Councils etc to steal a yet even more of our hard earned cash, for absolutely nothing in return !. :thumb:

What I fail to grasp with Emission Zones is........cities are trying to rid themselves of polluting vehicles by charging.

But if you pay the charge, you are still taking your stinky vehicle into the city.

So how exactly does that reduce pollution?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As " ourcaravansbeentrashed " said, it doesnt, but what it does do is enable Councils etc to steal a yet even more of our hard earned cash, for absolutely nothing in return !. :thumb:

As posted earlier.

[HI]In practice many do not take their vehicles in or change to compliant vehicles. That is how the specific pollutants targeted are reduced[/HI].

It has been posted many times but obviously not getting through that LEZs are not about pollution as a whole but about reducing, specifically, the concentration of particulates emitted by diesel engines.

[HI]Those particulates cause problems for people with asthma and other lung problems and any reduction is welcome.[/HI]

The fact that there is a case for reducing other forms of pollution is an argument for an increase in such legislation and is certainly not an argument for not having LEZs.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have no problems with the LEZ in principle. However they should set the limits and give 5 years before the compliance date. Then impose very large charges for breaches. I wouldn't mind being told that my current vehicle is not compliant but that I have 5 years to get a new one or upgrade my existing one.

We do need to do something about the crap we chuck into the air and seas.
It is just common sense. I am a sceptic about climate change being caused wholly by us but it doesn't make sense to continue to pollute the environment we rely on to live.

We need to give the water companies a 5 year deadline to stop dumping sewerage into the rivers and seas completely and issue punitive fines if the companies fail. These fines must be for each incident and based on the qty of sewerage released.

We have overpopulated the planet and are at serious risk of making it uninhabitable for our grand and great grandchildren.

I am not some lefty green sandle wearing idiot. I just go on common sense. You don't piss in the stream you drink from.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Have I upset you Shiffty????

Me sad...... Hmmm, your posting may well be considered a personal attack that may well be against rule 1.

Rule 1 Be Nice.
No personal attacks of any kind against other members of the forums. Offensive, insulting, profane or vulgar remarks are strictly not allowed. As is telling others to "get a life" or that they or their comments are "stupid". If you strongly disagree with a post then your reply should address the post and not question the intelligence or parenthood of the poster. There are plenty of forums that allow members to be discourteous toward each other, this is NOT one of them. Members should report any post they see that breaks the rules

Actually I may well not bother answering the rest of your post.

No going home with the ball Shiffty:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: .....was there anything in my post you missed? I hate America... or was it the C&W.... you forgot the Ukulele Shiffty....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh well, next time round I expect.

Bob:Blush:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
But there was plenty of notice on London

I have no problems with the LEZ in principle. However they should set the limits and give 5 years before the compliance date. Then impose very large charges for breaches. I wouldn't mind being told that my current vehicle is not compliant but that I have 5 years to get a new one or upgrade my existing one.

We do need to do something about the crap we chuck into the air and seas.
It is just common sense. I am a sceptic about climate change being caused wholly by us but it doesn't make sense to continue to pollute the environment we rely on to live.

We need to give the water companies a 5 year deadline to stop dumping sewerage into the rivers and seas completely and issue punitive fines if the companies fail. These fines must be for each incident and based on the qty of sewerage released.

We have overpopulated the planet and are at serious risk of making it uninhabitable for our grand and great grandchildren.

I am not some lefty green sandle wearing idiot. I just go on common sense. You don't piss in the stream you drink from.

There was plenty of notice on London... just a lot of people stuck there heads in the sand and thought it would go away.. it was not dumped on Londoners over night, it came in over a long period of time.

Bob

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
There was plenty of notice on London... just a lot of people stuck there heads in the sand and thought it would go away.. it was not dumped on Londoners over night, it came in over a long period of time.

Bob

Even then there were hundreds of casualties of the new law. Some had paid a load of money for a motorhome they intended to keep for many years. I have a family member who lives less than a mile inside the zone. Although the van was kept off road and his only trips involved driving the mile out of the zone he still had to replace his van at a great loss to himself. :Sad:

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Its not everyone that wants or can afford to be paying upwards of £20000 for a LEZ compliant motorhome. I am one of em. If I had money to burn I would never dream of paying the price of a small house for what can only be described as a large car.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
2 of the proposed zones are the city of Lierpool and the town of Birkenhead which are on both sides of the River Mersey. The Mersey is a shipping lane and also a regular cross river ferry service,shipping on one journey pumps out more pollutants than any number of cars.
There are also 2 road tunnels from Birkenhead and Wallasey to Liverpool the worst offending road transport is buses especially those run by small operators. While the big boys,Arriva and First have the capital to invest in new vehicles,small operators generally buy second hand vehicles which have an operational life from new of up to 15 years. When access policies were introduced a lot of operators bought new fleets just before the deadline came inn. There are still smaller operators running fleets if inaccessible vehicles and will still have non-compliant vehicles.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Even then there were hundreds of casualties of the new law. Some had paid a load of money for a motorhome they intended to keep for many years. I have a family member who lives less than a mile inside the zone. Although the van was kept off road and his only trips involved driving the mile out of the zone he still had to replace his van at a great loss to himself. :Sad:

Isn't it a couple of thousand pounds for a filter system to upgrade an old vehicle to make it compliant? This cost spread over 5 years is probably less than people living in cities pay for their insurance but this is actually improving the air quality for everyone who lives in the city and about the same as storage outside the M25 costs?

I do have some sympathy but at the end of the day we need to consider the greater good of peoples health who live in these massively overpopulated cities.

If they made exemptions for leisure vehicles they would have had all sorts of other special interest groups clamouring for dispensation also. Before you know it the effectiveness of the measures would have been nullified.

I understand it is hard but 5 years is I feel a fair notice period for measures like this.

I won't be popular for this post :Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I was one of a number of people (and organisations) who made representations to TfL (including Ken Livingstone & Boris Johnson direct) regarding the (relatively few) private motorhome owners who were adversely affected by the London LEZ because they lived within its boundaries. I still believe the decision not to exempt them was wrong.

I still also believe that such exemptions should not apply to any commercial operation. Bigfoot is absolutely right that the worst offenders are buses. That has been known for decades. The fact that some companies chose to run with old bangers which they know have an adverse affect on asthmatics etc elicits no sympathy from me for them at all. That is all the more so regarding operators outside London who have known full well since the London LEZ was first mooted that similar schemes would be implemented elsewhere eventually. If they haven't made preparations to make their fleets compliant when necessary that is their fault.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Isn't it a couple of thousand pounds for a filter system to upgrade an old vehicle to make it compliant? This cost spread over 5 years is probably less than people living in cities pay for their insurance but this is actually improving the air quality for everyone who lives in the city and about the same as storage outside the M25 costs?

I do have some sympathy but at the end of the day we need to consider the greater good of peoples health who live in these massively overpopulated cities.

If they made exemptions for leisure vehicles they would have had all sorts of other special interest groups clamouring for dispensation also. Before you know it the effectiveness of the measures would have been nullified.

I understand it is hard but 5 years is I feel a fair notice period for measures like this.

I won't be popular for this post :Sad:
Not sure about your facts and figures Gromett but I wont hold that against you.:winky: Personally I think that the Lez law is an ass. The four biggest polluters in this zone have not been included in the act. 40 thousand black cabs, buses, atroplanes and of course the busiest most polution motorway in Europe is just a mile from the zone, prevailing winds from the SW will deliver s masses of pollution onto London within a very short time period. I would think that the LEZ zone is as polluted now as it was before it was introduced.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not sure about your facts and figures Gromett but I wont hold that against you.:winky: Personally I think that the Lez law is an ass. The four biggest polluters in this zone have not been included in the act. 40 thousand black cabs, buses, atroplanes and of course the busiest most polution motorway in Europe is just a mile from the zone, prevailing winds from the SW will deliver s masses of pollution onto London within a very short time period. I would think that the LEZ zone is as polluted now as it was before it was introduced.

I didn't realise there were exceptions. that is wrong. Schemes like this shouldn't have exceptions if they are to work.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Buttons - I thought black cabs had to have some type of filter fitted. I recall the cabbies protesting because it would cost £1500?

I could be wrong though

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Buttons - I thought black cabs had to have some type of filter fitted. I recall the cabbies protesting because it would cost £1500?

I could be wrong though
Not sure about a filter, the only ruling for black cabs that I am aware of is the introduction of London’s first ever age limit on black cabs from 1 January 2012: this will mean the oldest and most polluting vehicles will no longer be licensed, affecting any vehicle over 15 years old. The age limit will be introduced on a rolling basis throughout the year as affected taxi licence plates expire. A new taxi emits around 20 times less PM than a 15 year old taxi. I do sit behind 14 year old cabs on occasions, you can see the particulates let alone smell them. :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back